Velocity Reviews

-   -   BIOS keeps resetting after powerdown (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t204797-bios-keeps-resetting-after-powerdown.html)

Buffy 07-26-2004 09:35 PM

BIOS keeps resetting after powerdown

Anyone any ideas as to why I get the BIOS screen asking me to reset my CPU
speed everytime the PC is powered up after a shutdown. Could it be a battery
thing?

PC works fine apart from this

W2K OS
ASUS A7266E Motherboard

Thanks

°Mike° 07-26-2004 09:41 PM

Re: BIOS keeps resetting after powerdown

Yes, the CMOS battery is dead or dying. Change it.

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:35:48 +0100, in
<ce3tfa$600$1@news.freedom2surf.net>
Buffy scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Buffy 07-26-2004 10:04 PM

Re: BIOS keeps resetting after powerdown

How long to CMOS batteries usually last?

°Mike° 07-26-2004 10:09 PM

Re: BIOS keeps resetting after powerdown

How long is a piece of string? If you get a bad one, it
may crap out in the first week, on the other hand, I
have a very old 486 with the original CMOS battery
still in, and working ... well, the last time I looked.

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:04:19 +0100, in
<ce3v4p$6d4$1@news.freedom2surf.net>
Buffy scrawled:

>How long to CMOS batteries usually last?

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

JamesBenson 07-29-2004 05:16 PM

Re: BIOS keeps resetting after powerdown

As far as I could see, mike's mum is his dad and vica versa, well I was
stood next to them

TCP/IP 08-10-2004 12:26 AM

Re: BIOS keeps resetting after powerdown

Yeah, Buffy, it sounds like your CMOS battery is dead. Just buy a new one
at your local computer store for a few bucks, replace the old one, and
change your BIOS settings once more. That SHOULD take care of it.

One other thing that it COULD be is if you are shutting your computer down
during the POST (at startup), your motherboard may be resetting the BIOS to
the safe defaults. Some newer motherboards do this because they think that
if the POST didn't complete then there must have been a problem and the
BIOS settings will be reset. I think it is more than likely the battery
however.

Port139