Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Event: The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted. How to fix? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t204091-event-the-shell-stopped-unexpectedly-and-explorer-exe-was-restarted-how-to-fix.html)

mediary 07-19-2004 06:59 AM

Event: The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted. How to fix?
 
Hi,
Everytime I boot I can go to the event log and see this error. I
can't figure out how to fix the problem though. I ran a full
system scan with PC-Cillin 2004 with no results and then ran a
scan with TDS-3. It found a file called media player.exe.tem and
says it was some kind of dropper worm. It asked if I wanted to
delete it so I did but no change in above error. I have used two
different online scanner sites and nothing was reported as a
virus or worm. When I boot my screen will be OK for several
seconds and then refresh. After that most of my traybar icons
are missing. I've also lost some exe files. The folders are
there but the exe file is gone.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

°Mike° 07-19-2004 07:59 PM

Re: Event: The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted. How to fix?
 
Explorer is always unexpectedly terminating in my install
of Windows, too, and I've never found the reason why.

I'm guessing that it's conflicting with something else
that's installed, but I haven't been able to pin it down.

If you do find an answer, I'd be interested to hear what
was causing it for you.

Side note: XP is very good at hiding errors, and it's way
to easy for people to say that XP is far more stable than
other operating systems, without realising what's going
on under the surface. Well, my experience is different;
I have had far more stability problems with XP than I ever
had with Windows 98SE ... even plain old Windows 98 never
used to give me this much grief.


On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 06:59:25 GMT, in
<Xns952B1E731BD3Cmediaryyahoonet@216.77.188.18>
mediary scrawled:

>Hi,
>Everytime I boot I can go to the event log and see this error. I
>can't figure out how to fix the problem though. I ran a full
>system scan with PC-Cillin 2004 with no results and then ran a
>scan with TDS-3. It found a file called media player.exe.tem and
>says it was some kind of dropper worm. It asked if I wanted to
>delete it so I did but no change in above error. I have used two
>different online scanner sites and nothing was reported as a
>virus or worm. When I boot my screen will be OK for several
>seconds and then refresh. After that most of my traybar icons
>are missing. I've also lost some exe files. The folders are
>there but the exe file is gone.
>Thanks for any help you can give me.


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

mediary 07-23-2004 04:08 AM

Re: Event: The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted. How to fix?
 
°Mike° <qp_mike_qp@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:41052707.12964609@localhost.dot.net:

> Explorer is always unexpectedly terminating in my install
> of Windows, too, and I've never found the reason why.
>
> I'm guessing that it's conflicting with something else
> that's installed, but I haven't been able to pin it down.
>
> If you do find an answer, I'd be interested to hear what
> was causing it for you.
>
> Side note: XP is very good at hiding errors, and it's way
> to easy for people to say that XP is far more stable than
> other operating systems, without realising what's going
> on under the surface. Well, my experience is different;
> I have had far more stability problems with XP than I ever
> had with Windows 98SE ... even plain old Windows 98 never
> used to give me this much grief.
>
>
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 06:59:25 GMT, in
> <Xns952B1E731BD3Cmediaryyahoonet@216.77.188.18>
> mediary scrawled:
>
>>Hi,
>>Everytime I boot I can go to the event log and see this ...


Hi Mike,
I didn't have this problem until I updated ZoneAlarmPro to
version 5. They tell me it's impossible that ZAP could have been
the cause even though it started on the very first boot after
the update. I went to their users forum and found I wasn't the
only person to have these problems of Icons missing and explorer
crashing. If I find a fix I'll send it along. I've ordered a new
computer so I doubt I'll ever find the real answer. I'm gonna
stick W98se back on here ( I run wXP Pro now) and let it fly out
the window. Thanks for commenting on the post. At least someone
read it.


°Mike° 07-23-2004 09:05 PM

Re: Event: The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted. How to fix?
 
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:08:47 GMT, in
<Xns952F183A9535mediaryyahoonet@216.77.188.18>
mediary scrawled:

<snip>

>Thanks for commenting on the post. At least someone
>read it.


You're welcome.

--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

gangle 07-24-2004 01:05 AM

Re: Event: The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted. How to fix?
 
"°Mike°" wrote
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:08:47 GMT, in
> mediary scrawled:
>
> <snip>
>
> >Thanks for commenting on the post. At least someone
> >read it.

>
> You're welcome.


AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!



°Mike° 07-24-2004 11:14 PM

Re: Event: The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted. How to fix?
 
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 18:05:20 -0700, in
<GeGdnbgyUJJtKJzcRVn-gQ@giganews.com>
gangle scrawled:

>"°Mike°" wrote
>> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:08:47 GMT, in
>> mediary scrawled:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> >Thanks for commenting on the post. At least someone
>> >read it.

>>
>> You're welcome.

>
>AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!


You're welcome.

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

gangle 07-25-2004 07:16 AM

Re: Event: The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted. How to fix?
 
"°Mike°" wrote > On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 18:05:20 -0700, in
> gangle scrawled:
>
> >"°Mike°" wrote
> >> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:08:47 GMT, in
> >> mediary scrawled:
> >>
> >> <snip>
> >>
> >> >Thanks for commenting on the post. At least someone
> >> >read it.
> >>
> >> You're welcome.

> >
> >AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

>
> You're welcome.


AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?= 07-25-2004 08:19 AM

Re: Event: The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.How to fix?
 
gangle wrote:
> "°Mike°" wrote > On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 18:05:20 -0700, in
>
>> gangle scrawled:
>>
>>
>>>"°Mike°" wrote
>>>
>>>>On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:08:47 GMT, in
>>>> mediary scrawled:
>>>>
>>>><snip>
>>>>
>>>>>Thanks for commenting on the post. At least someone
>>>>>read it.
>>>>
>>>>You're welcome.
>>>
>>>AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

>>
>>You're welcome.

>
>
> AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
> EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
> EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
> EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
> EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
> EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>


IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUU......................


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.