Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re-install corrupt HAL.DLL (hardware abstraction layer) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t203599-re-install-corrupt-hal-dll-hardware-abstraction-layer.html)

Mym 07-12-2004 03:10 PM

Re-install corrupt HAL.DLL (hardware abstraction layer)

I am running WIN XP Pro on an Athlon 800 E: drive, and my computer won't
boot into WIN XP, although it will boot into my C: drive (WIN ME). A black
screen tells me I need to re-install HAL.DLL (which is a hardware
abstraction layer, apparently). I have this file on my second computer, and
have tried just copying it from a floppy to E:\Windows\System32 on the WIN
XP computer, with no result. How do I RE-INSTALL the file to that location?

Thank you for any advice.

Mym

Jay MacDonald 07-12-2004 03:13 PM

Re: Re-install corrupt HAL.DLL (hardware abstraction layer)

Bloody reinstall the OS?
Thicko.

Duane Arnold 07-12-2004 04:39 PM

Re: Re-install corrupt HAL.DLL (hardware abstraction layer)

"Mym" <mhauk@arvotek.net> wrote in

> I am running WIN XP Pro on an Athlon 800 E: drive, and my computer
> won't boot into WIN XP, although it will boot into my C: drive (WIN
> ME). A black screen tells me I need to re-install HAL.DLL (which is a
> hardware abstraction layer, apparently). I have this file on my
> second computer, and have tried just copying it from a floppy to
> E:\Windows\System32 on the WIN XP computer, with no result. How do I
> RE-INSTALL the file to that location?
>
> Thank you for any advice.
>
> Mym

You'll need to reinstall the O/S over the existing one. If you do it
correctly, then the install should put everything back into place and you
will not have to install the other applications/programs as they will
remain intact and will work as before. You'll need to apply the SP to the
O/S again.

Duane :)

Duane Arnold 07-12-2004 04:39 PM