Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Flash Memory query (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t203552-flash-memory-query.html)

MB 07-11-2004 09:39 PM

Flash Memory query
 
I have a Dell Dim 2400 (P4). It has XP Home and a USB 2.0 port. I also have
a 6-year old Gateway (P3). It has a working USB 1.1 port, but uses W98. I
would like some easy way to back up files from my Dell,
that I can use with my Gateway.

I have been using Intellimover. That works fine, but wouldn't a flash memory
device (say 256 meg with a USB connection) work easier?

I have never used flash memory, so if it would work with my older Gateway, I
have some questions: Is there any specific brand (if so, what would be the
cost and should I just look for it on EBAY)? Also, does it act just like an
extra drive (say like E: drive) that I can access via Explorer or the
command prompt?



Mel




Unk 07-11-2004 09:52 PM

Re: Flash Memory query
 
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:39:38 -0400, "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:

>I have a Dell Dim 2400 (P4). It has XP Home and a USB 2.0 port. I also have
>a 6-year old Gateway (P3). It has a working USB 1.1 port, but uses W98. I
>would like some easy way to back up files from my Dell,
>that I can use with my Gateway.
>
>I have been using Intellimover. That works fine, but wouldn't a flash memory
>device (say 256 meg with a USB connection) work easier?

Yes
>
>I have never used flash memory, so if it would work with my older Gateway, I
>have some questions: Is there any specific brand (if so, what would be the
>cost and should I just look for it on EBAY)?

They all seem to work equally well. I have the Sony 512 Meg Micro Vault.
Search Google for the best price.

> Also, does it act just like an extra drive (say like E: drive) that I can access via Explorer or the
>command prompt?

Yes, when plugged in, it's assigned a drive letter.
You need to install drivers for Win9x. Anything later is recognized
immediately. They work with USB 1.1, just slower.
>
>Mel
>
>



Max 07-11-2004 10:28 PM

Re: Flash Memory query
 
In article <10f3csseiljo387@corp.supernews.com>, MB
<mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:

> I have never used flash memory, so if it would work with my older Gateway, I
> have some questions: Is there any specific brand

No; I haven't seen any reviews condemning any particular brand.

> (if so, what would be the
> cost and should I just look for it on EBAY)?

Cost is going to vary wildly everywhere. This is a popular item that
will be on sale in a lot of stores and in a lot of forms.

> Also, does it act just like an
> extra drive (say like E: drive) that I can access via Explorer or the
> command prompt?

It is SUPPOSED to -- whether it actually does depends on the OS.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.