Velocity Reviews

-   -   Internet Explorer homepage taken over (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t203337-internet-explorer-homepage-taken-over.html)

Ennc 07-08-2004 08:25 PM

Internet Explorer homepage taken over

When I now open my Internet Explorer it comes up with a home page I never
elected to have on there. When I go to my "tools", "internet options", I no
longer have the option to change my home page. It is greyed out. How can I
fix this? The website that automatically comes up is obnoxious to me. I
had so many popups and this website came up when I was on a baby picture
contest website of all things! I want it gone! Please help me. TIA ...
Nancy

Alex B 07-08-2004 08:30 PM

Re: Internet Explorer homepage taken over

Go to www.lavasoftusa.com and download Ad-aware. It's free, and will get
rid of loads of stuff you don't want / probably didn't know was on your
system. Make sure to update it after the install to make sure you have the
latest reference file before you scan the system.

°Mike° 07-08-2004 08:37 PM

Re: Internet Explorer homepage taken over

Download, update and use ALL of the following -- even
if you already have them installed, UPDATE THEM NOW.
Malware changes by the day, even by the hour, so you MUST
have the latest version of removal tools:

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://spybot.eon.net.au/
http://www.safer-networking.org/
http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
SpyBot S&D guide

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
http://www.lavasoft.nu/
http://www.lavasoft.de/
Ad-Aware VX2 cleaner plug-in
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/...2cleaner.shtml
http://www.lavasoft.nu/software/plug...2cleaner.shtml
http://www.lavasoft.de/software/plug...2cleaner.shtml
IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Spyware Blaster
http://www.net-integration.net/tools...reblaster.html

CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
http://doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:25:14 -0400, in
<ovudnUnIpLX6MHDd4p2dnA@comcast.com>
Ennc scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Ennc 07-08-2004 08:52 PM

Re: Internet Explorer homepage taken over

This has me totally shook up. If I had Netscape would this have happened to
me?

How can I setup Netscape on my computer for my comcast email program?

°Mike° 07-08-2004 08:55 PM

Re: Internet Explorer homepage taken over

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:52:48 -0400, in
<E7-dnZDlwdNOLnDd4p2dnA@comcast.com>
Ennc scrawled:

>This has me totally shook up.

Don't let it shake you up; just use common sense, and
good, safe hex:

Safe Hex
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

Safe Computing Guide
http://www.trendmicro.com/pc-cillin/...afe_computing/
http://www.trendmicro.com/en/securit...e/overview.htm

Protect your PC
http://support.microsoft.com/default...gb/protect.asp

Safe Computing Practice
http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/safe2000.htm

Safe Computing Practices (Safe Hex)
http://www.cknow.com/vtutor/vtsafecompute.htm

>If I had Netscape would this have happened to me?

Netscape can be hijacked, too -- Internet Explorer is just
more widespread, and so attracts more exploits.

>How can I setup Netscape on my computer for my comcast
>email program?

I'm not a Netscape person, and I know nothing about
Comcast, sorry.

>"°Mike°" <qp_mike_qp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Download, update and use ALL of the following

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Alex B 07-08-2004 08:57 PM

Re: Internet Explorer homepage taken over

You might want to consider the Opera web browser as well - www.opera.com -
very nice bit of software (with built in news / email / pop up blocker etc).

Ennc 07-08-2004 08:58 PM

Re: Internet Explorer homepage taken over

Are these programs going to cost me money?

°Mike° 07-08-2004 09:04 PM

Re: Internet Explorer homepage taken over

No. Everything I have linked for you is either
information or free programs.

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:58:29 -0400, in
<Ht2dnbvYJt21KHDdRVn-sA@comcast.com>
Ennc scrawled:

TechNews 07-08-2004 09:07 PM

Ennc wrote:

> When I now open my Internet Explorer it comes up with a home page I never
> elected to have on there. When I go to my "tools", "internet options", I
> no
> longer have the option to change my home page. It is greyed out. How can
> fix this? The website that automatically comes up is obnoxious to me. I
> had so many popups and this website came up when I was on a baby picture
> contest website of all things! I want it gone! Please help me. TIA ...
> Nancy

Do not use IE anymore to browse the Internet.

Instead, use Firefox, Opera, Mozilla, or Netscape.

--
Security:Reliability:Speed

Boomer 07-08-2004 09:07 PM

Re: Internet Explorer homepage taken over

"Ennc" <nancyandgene65@nospamcomcast.com> wrote:

> Are these programs going to cost me money?

Freeware. Read the homepages on the links Mike gave you on the other
message.

And you might want to try Mozilla. Lot's of nice features. :)