Velocity Reviews

-   -   Opinion and advice please (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t202971-opinion-and-advice-please.html)

Fourdogs 07-03-2004 10:29 PM

Opinion and advice please

I am making an exact copy of my C drive with Win XP home to another hard
drive on my machine, using retrospect by Dantz.. My C drive with XP is
configured as master and the drive I'm copying to is the slave on the
same cable. If I leave both drives connected, will my machine try to
boot from both drives or cause any other problems for me since both
contain my operating system? TIA for any help offered.

Regards,

4D

Blinky the Shark 07-03-2004 11:01 PM

Re: Opinion and advice please

Fourdogs wrote:
> I am making an exact copy of my C drive with Win XP home to another hard
> drive on my machine, using retrospect by Dantz.. My C drive with XP is
> configured as master and the drive I'm copying to is the slave on the
> same cable. If I leave both drives connected, will my machine try to
> boot from both drives or cause any other problems for me since both
> contain my operating system? TIA for any help offered.

What do you have set for boot media order (which to try a boot from
first, then second, then third...) in BIOS?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
New June 23:

Fourdogs 07-04-2004 06:52 PM

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Fourdogs wrote:
> > I am making an exact copy of my C drive with Win XP home to another hard
> > drive on my machine, using retrospect by Dantz.. My C drive with XP is
> > configured as master and the drive I'm copying to is the slave on the
> > same cable. If I leave both drives connected, will my machine try to
> > boot from both drives or cause any other problems for me since both
> > contain my operating system? TIA for any help offered.

> What do you have set for boot media order (which to try a boot from
> first, then second, then third...) in BIOS?
>
> --
> Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
> New June 23:
> Linux In 20 Steps: (at Blinkynet) http://snipurl.com/7amq

Thanks for answering.

1st removable device
2nd ATAPI CD-rom
3rd hard drive
4th IBA 4.0.19 slot 0208

--

regards,
4D

Blinky the Shark 07-04-2004 07:13 PM

Fourdogs wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> Fourdogs wrote:

>> > I am making an exact copy of my C drive with Win XP home to another hard
>> > drive on my machine, using retrospect by Dantz.. My C drive with XP is
>> > configured as master and the drive I'm copying to is the slave on the
>> > same cable. If I leave both drives connected, will my machine try to
>> > boot from both drives or cause any other problems for me since both
>> > contain my operating system? TIA for any help offered.

>> What do you have set for boot media order (which to try a boot from
>> first, then second, then third...) in BIOS?

> 1st removable device
> 2nd ATAPI CD-rom
> 3rd hard drive
> 4th IBA 4.0.19 slot 0208

Well, then -- that's the order in which it will seek bootable devices.