Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Unable to move a file (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t202671-unable-to-move-a-file.html)

Fitzy_bhoy 06-30-2004 12:54 AM

Unable to move a file
 
I have downloaded a large divx file and was able to move it from one drive
to another, but I can't move it around the 2nd drive. It says that the file
is being used by another person or program. As I am the only user account on
the computer and this happens after rebooting then I find it hard to
believe. If another program is using the file, is there a util out there
which will tell me which one and how to sever the link.

I have tried running chkdsk/f in case the file system was corrupted, but
that didn't solve anything

Thanks
John



°Mike° 06-30-2004 01:05 AM

Re: Unable to move a file
 
Explorer often tries to create a preview for AVI files,
and this can cause problems if the file is corrupt.
Open your registry editor (Start / Run / regedit) to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
+SystemFileAssociations
+.avi
+shellex
+PropertyHandler

In the right hand window you will see (Default) with
an alpha-numeric value. Delete it, or zero it.


On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:54:26 +0100, in
<40e20f38$0$280$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>
Fitzy_bhoy scrawled:

>I have downloaded a large divx file and was able to move it from one drive
>to another, but I can't move it around the 2nd drive. It says that the file
>is being used by another person or program. As I am the only user account on
>the computer and this happens after rebooting then I find it hard to
>believe. If another program is using the file, is there a util out there
>which will tell me which one and how to sever the link.
>
>I have tried running chkdsk/f in case the file system was corrupted, but
>that didn't solve anything
>
>Thanks
>John
>


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

Unk 06-30-2004 01:11 AM

Re: Unable to move a file
 
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:54:26 +0100, "Fitzy_bhoy" <whistle48@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I have downloaded a large divx file and was able to move it from one drive
>to another, but I can't move it around the 2nd drive. It says that the file
>is being used by another person or program. As I am the only user account on
>the computer and this happens after rebooting then I find it hard to
>believe. If another program is using the file, is there a util out there
>which will tell me which one and how to sever the link.
>
>I have tried running chkdsk/f in case the file system was corrupted, but
>that didn't solve anything
>
>Thanks
>John
>

Open the folder that it's in. Click "View", and select "List".
Now delete or move it. The folder view was probably creating a thumbnail
image of the file.


Fitzy_bhoy 06-30-2004 09:10 PM

Re: Unable to move a file
 

"°Mike°" <qp_mike_qp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:40fa11c0.36902359@localhost...
> Explorer often tries to create a preview for AVI files,
> and this can cause problems if the file is corrupt.
> Open your registry editor (Start / Run / regedit) to:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
> +SystemFileAssociations
> +.avi
> +shellex
> +PropertyHandler
>
> In the right hand window you will see (Default) with
> an alpha-numeric value. Delete it, or zero it.
>
>
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:54:26 +0100, in
> <40e20f38$0$280$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>
> Fitzy_bhoy scrawled:
>
> >I have downloaded a large divx file and was able to move it from one

drive
> >to another, but I can't move it around the 2nd drive. It says that the

file
> >is being used by another person or program. As I am the only user account

on
> >the computer and this happens after rebooting then I find it hard to
> >believe. If another program is using the file, is there a util out there
> >which will tell me which one and how to sever the link.
> >
> >I have tried running chkdsk/f in case the file system was corrupted, but
> >that didn't solve anything
> >
> >Thanks
> >John
> >

Works just fine now. Thanks



°Mike° 07-02-2004 02:29 AM

Re: Unable to move a file
 
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:10:30 +0100, in
<40e32c3a$0$292$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>
Fitzy_bhoy scrawled:

>
>"°Mike°" <qp_mike_qp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:40fa11c0.36902359@localhost...
>> Explorer often tries to create a preview for AVI files,
>> and this can cause problems if the file is corrupt.
>> Open your registry editor (Start / Run / regedit) to:
>>
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
>> +SystemFileAssociations
>> +.avi
>> +shellex
>> +PropertyHandler
>>
>> In the right hand window you will see (Default) with
>> an alpha-numeric value. Delete it, or zero it.


<snip>

>Works just fine now. Thanks


You're welcome.

--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.