Velocity Reviews

-   -   Using SUBST With Win XP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t202643-using-subst-with-win-xp.html)

Slyfoot 06-29-2004 06:52 PM

Using SUBST With Win XP

How do you substitute a drive name to go to a directory in Windows XP?
With Win 98 and earlier, you could type SUBST Z: C:\SOMEDIRECTORY.
You can still do that with Win XP, but I can't figure out how to make
it permanent. I have put SUBST Z: C:\PROGRA~1\TIMEDATA in the
AUTOEXEC.BAT and although that command still works on the commandline,
the Z: drive is not recognized on reboot. I have even used TweakUI
for XP to parse the AUTOEXEC.BAT file but it still does not work. I
think it can be done in the Environmental Settings on the Advanced Tab
in My Computer, but I'm not sure.

~Sly

--
Sam Campbell III
Professional Dilettante

Mr. Trevor Fourie 06-29-2004 08:15 PM

Re: Using SUBST With Win XP

Slyfoot wrote:
> How do you substitute a drive name to go to a directory in Windows XP?
> With Win 98 and earlier, you could type SUBST Z: C:\SOMEDIRECTORY.
> You can still do that with Win XP, but I can't figure out how to make
> it permanent. I have put SUBST Z: C:\PROGRA~1\TIMEDATA in the
> AUTOEXEC.BAT and although that command still works on the commandline,
> the Z: drive is not recognized on reboot. I have even used TweakUI
> for XP to parse the AUTOEXEC.BAT file but it still does not work. I
> think it can be done in the Environmental Settings on the Advanced Tab
> in My Computer, but I'm not sure.
>
> ~Sly

Forget everything you ever knew about Windows 9x. It's dead!

Windows NT base products use autoexec.nt. Search for it.

°Mike° 06-29-2004 08:19 PM

Re: Using SUBST With Win XP

Just use a batch file and put it in your startup folder.
This can be done from the registry, but it's easier
from your startup folder.

***** <--- Omit this line
@ECHO OFF
SUBST z: c:\progra~1\timedata
CLS
EXIT
***** <--- Omit this line

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:52:51 GMT, in
<40e1b9e9.369656@news-server.cfl.rr.com>
Slyfoot scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Ralph Wade Phillips 06-29-2004 11:20 PM

Re: Using SUBST With Win XP

Howdy!

"Slyfoot" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> How do you substitute a drive name to go to a directory in Windows XP?
> With Win 98 and earlier, you could type SUBST Z: C:\SOMEDIRECTORY.
> You can still do that with Win XP, but I can't figure out how to make
> it permanent. I have put SUBST Z: C:\PROGRA~1\TIMEDATA in the
> AUTOEXEC.BAT and although that command still works on the commandline,
> the Z: drive is not recognized on reboot. I have even used TweakUI
> for XP to parse the AUTOEXEC.BAT file but it still does not work. I
> think it can be done in the Environmental Settings on the Advanced Tab
> in My Computer, but I'm not sure.

Workaround - Share the directory, then map the share as the drive.

Doesn't work if you don't have a live network ...

RwP

Slyfoot 06-30-2004 08:47 AM

Re: Using SUBST With Win XP

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:52:51 GMT, nospam@nospam.com (Slyfoot) wrote:

I wanted to say "thanks" to all who responded!

~Sly

°Mike° 06-30-2004 07:24 PM

Re: Using SUBST With Win XP

You're welcome.

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:47:22 GMT, in
<40e27ee9.50872828@news-server.cfl.rr.com>
Slyfoot scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Ramesh Kaliyaperumal 06-01-2012 01:25 PM

Reg SUBST remap after reboot

RwP,

Probably you can create a bat file with the command "SUBST D: C:\Drive_D" and keep it in system startup, so that wehenever you start/reboot the system the drive will get mapped and available in "my computer"

may be a silly answer , but it works for me .. lol

Ramesh

QUOTE=Ralph Wade Phillips;957060]Howdy!

"Slyfoot" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> How do you substitute a drive name to go to a directory in Windows XP?
> With Win 98 and earlier, you could type SUBST Z: C:\SOMEDIRECTORY.
> You can still do that with Win XP, but I can't figure out how to make
> it permanent. I have put SUBST Z: C:\PROGRA~1\TIMEDATA in the
> AUTOEXEC.BAT and although that command still works on the commandline,
> the Z: drive is not recognized on reboot. I have even used TweakUI
> for XP to parse the AUTOEXEC.BAT file but it still does not work. I
> think it can be done in the Environmental Settings on the Advanced Tab
> in My Computer, but I'm not sure.

Workaround - Share the directory, then map the share as the drive.

Doesn't work if you don't have a live network ...

RwP[/QUOTE]