Velocity Reviews

-   -   IE 6 keeps dying (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t202435-ie-6-keeps-dying.html)

NevaYouMindWhoItAint 06-26-2004 09:14 PM

IE 6 keeps dying

WIN 98 SE - IE 6.0 SP1. (was all up to date couple weeks ago - prior to
this happening).
IE keeps dying on me. I can go for 3 or 4 page/site changes while I was
surfing news. Then it gets nothing, just extremely slow until gets error
message cannot find page. I did IE repair and rebooted. It works for 1, 2 or
3 more links/pages and then dies again. Seems the only way i can get it to
work is to repair every few times i change websites.

I tried the option under add/remove software to restore previous
configuration. That just does the same as above.

Tried MS help/support knowledge database and can't find same issue. Also
searched old 24hshd archives for anything similiar. Some close, but not on
target.

I think I need to uninstall my IE 6. But the MS add/remove programs does
not really do that.

How can I - or is there a link with instructions to TRULY uninstall IE 6 and
reinstall it either from download or I can start from my original CD and
update from the MS site.

Any help is appreciated

MBankaT

ICee 06-26-2004 09:25 PM

Re: IE 6 keeps dying

NevaYouMindWhoItAint wrote:
> WIN 98 SE - IE 6.0 SP1. (was all up to date couple weeks ago -
> prior to this happening).
> IE keeps dying on me. I can go for 3 or 4 page/site changes while I
> was surfing news. Then it gets nothing, just extremely slow until
> gets error message cannot find page. I did IE repair and rebooted. It
> works for 1, 2 or 3 more links/pages and then dies again. Seems the
> only way i can get it to work is to repair every few times i change
> websites.
>
> I tried the option under add/remove software to restore previous
> configuration. That just does the same as above.
>
> Tried MS help/support knowledge database and can't find same issue.
> Also searched old 24hshd archives for anything similiar. Some close,
> but not on target.
>
> I think I need to uninstall my IE 6. But the MS add/remove programs
> does not really do that.
>
> How can I - or is there a link with instructions to TRULY uninstall
> IE 6 and reinstall it either from download or I can start from my
> original CD and update from the MS site.
>
> Any help is appreciated
>
> MBankaT

Free, very similar in looks to IE, but it works better and no popups or
other problems associated with IE. Try it; you'll like it. :)

el duderino 06-26-2004 10:13 PM

Re: IE 6 keeps dying

Is it better than Opera? (Genuine Q)
If so why?

ICee 06-26-2004 10:17 PM

Re: IE 6 keeps dying

el duderino wrote:
> Is it better than Opera? (Genuine Q)
> If so why?

Don't know. Haven't used Opera.

el duderino 06-26-2004 10:18 PM

Re: IE 6 keeps dying

:-)

Blinky the Shark 06-27-2004 07:00 AM

Re: IE 6 keeps dying

el duderino wrote:

> Is it better than Opera? (Genuine Q)

Re Mozilla:

I've used Opera for years as my primary browser, both back in the
Windows Decade and now in Linux. I've played with Mozilla, as well --
and I have to say that I'm using Mozilla more and more, as it's evolved.
Opera is still my heavy lifter; but often I find myself just using
Mozilla if it happens to be open and Opera's not. Eventually, I'll end
up opening Opera, but that's often because that's where my full set of
bookmarks are.

Opera also tends to crash -- it'll just disappear. I've seen this way
too many times in both Win and Linux. I still have an old laptop with
Win on it, and it got so bad there that on *that* system, Mozilla's
actually become my primary browser. I haven't made that change here in
Linux, yet, but every time Opera just disappears I'm getting closer. :)

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
New June 23:

el duderino 06-27-2004 09:16 AM

Re: IE 6 keeps dying

Thanks Blinky, food for thought :-)
news:slrncdss51.431.no.spam@thurston.blinkynet.net ...

NevaYouMindWhoItAint 06-27-2004 08:15 PM

Re: IE 6 keeps dying

lol .. i guess it is either mozilla or keep searching for an answer.

"NevaYouMindWhoItAint" <CantBeMeAt@noname.net> wrote in message
> WIN 98 SE - IE 6.0 SP1. (was all up to date couple weeks ago - prior

> this happening).
> IE keeps dying on me. I can go for 3 or 4 page/site changes while I was
> surfing news. Then it gets nothing, just extremely slow until gets error

<snip>

NevaYouMindWhoItAint 06-27-2004 08:29 PM

Re: IE 6 keeps dying

ok so i am looking at mozilla for the first time, what is difference
between mozilla and firefox?

ICee 06-27-2004 08:43 PM

Re: IE 6 keeps dying

NevaYouMindWhoItAint wrote:
> ok so i am looking at mozilla for the first time, what is difference
> between mozilla and firefox?

Mozilla = Firefox.
Microsoft = Internet Explorer.