Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cannot import my IE6 Favorites (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t201635-cannot-import-my-ie6-favorites.html)

Julie P. 06-16-2004 04:49 AM

Cannot import my IE6 Favorites

Hi, I am trying to import my IE6 favorites from an old computer to a new
one.

This is what I did:

1) Exported the following registry key from my old computer, which controls
order of favorites:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\MenuOrd
er\Favorites

Saved it as a .reg file on my desktop

2) Used the export function on IE6 to export my favorites to an .htm file on
my desktop

3) Emailed myself the above two files as an attachment

4) On my new computer, deleted the above registry key.

5) On my new computer, deleted all my favorites in C:\Documents and
Settings\Julie\Favorites\Links

6) Saved the above email registry and imported favorites attachments on my
desktop.

7) Double clicked on the registry key to import it. Import was successful.

8) Opened IE6 and went to the import wizard (import favorites).

9) Chose the correct file on the desktop and hit "save" and "next".

10) Chose the correct "Links" folder to import the favorites into.

11) It says I will have successfully installed my favorites when I click
"Finish".
But then all of a sudden it says it is "not a valid bookmark file" and no
favorites have been installed!

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

The reason I chose to import the registry key first was because last time I
did it after I imported the favorites, and when I did that, my favorites
were still out of order. So I thought I would try it in a different order.

°Mike° 06-16-2004 05:51 AM

Re: Cannot import my IE6 Favorites

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 00:49:16 -0400, in
<z7KdnXJrve7TTFLd4p2dnA@comcast.com>
Julie P. scrawled:

>Hi, I am trying to import my IE6 favorites from an old computer to a new
>one.
>
>This is what I did:
>
>1) Exported the following registry key from my old computer, which controls
>order of favorites:
>
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\MenuOrd
>er\Favorites
>
>Saved it as a .reg file on my desktop
>
>2) Used the export function on IE6 to export my favorites to an .htm file on
>my desktop

Why didn't you just copy the entire Favorites folder
to a floppy disk, or zip up the entire Favorites?

>3) Emailed myself the above two files as an attachment
>
>4) On my new computer, deleted the above registry key.
>
>5) On my new computer, deleted all my favorites in C:\Documents and
>Settings\Julie\Favorites\Links

That's only deleting "Links".

>6) Saved the above email registry and imported favorites attachments on my
>desktop.
>
>7) Double clicked on the registry key to import it. Import was successful.
>
>8) Opened IE6 and went to the import wizard (import favorites).
>
>9) Chose the correct file on the desktop and hit "save" and "next".
>
>10) Chose the correct "Links" folder to import the favorites into.

Again, why "Links"? Favorites goes into Favorites!

>11) It says I will have successfully installed my favorites when I click
>"Finish".
>But then all of a sudden it says it is "not a valid bookmark file" and no
>favorites have been installed!
>
>Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Yes, just copy the entire Favorites folder, and overwrite
them on your new computer.

>Thanks!
>
>The reason I chose to import the registry key first was because last time I
>did it after I imported the favorites, and when I did that, my favorites
>were still out of order. So I thought I would try it in a different order.

That's probably because you're putting everything in "Links".
Links is just a special folder within Favorites; you can use
it as a toolbar in IE.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Julie P. 06-16-2004 04:57 PM

"°Mike°" <qp_mike_qp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 00:49:16 -0400, in
> <z7KdnXJrve7TTFLd4p2dnA@comcast.com>
> Julie P. scrawled:
>
> >Hi, I am trying to import my IE6 favorites from an old computer to a new
> >one.
> >
> >This is what I did:
> >
> >1) Exported the following registry key from my old computer, which

controls
> >order of favorites:
> >

>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\MenuOr

> >er\Favorites
> >
> >Saved it as a .reg file on my desktop
> >
> >2) Used the export function on IE6 to export my favorites to an .htm file

on
> >my desktop

> Why didn't you just copy the entire Favorites folder
> to a floppy disk, or zip up the entire Favorites?

Because I don;t have a floppy drive on my new computer, and I'm tired of
uninstalling and reinstalling my zip drive and computer to use zip disks to
transfer. Since the import file was small, I wanted to email it.

> >3) Emailed myself the above two files as an attachment
> >
> >4) On my new computer, deleted the above registry key.
> >
> >5) On my new computer, deleted all my favorites in C:\Documents and
> >Settings\Julie\Favorites\Links

> That's only deleting "Links".
>
> >6) Saved the above email registry and imported favorites attachments on

my
> >desktop.
> >
> >7) Double clicked on the registry key to import it. Import was

successful.

> >8) Opened IE6 and went to the import wizard (import favorites).
> >
> >9) Chose the correct file on the desktop and hit "save" and "next".
> >
> >10) Chose the correct "Links" folder to import the favorites into.

> Again, why "Links"? Favorites goes into Favorites!

Right, the Links folder is in the Favorites folder/star. Last time I
imported the favorites, they automatically were put into the Links folder by
the IE import function.

> >11) It says I will have successfully installed my favorites when I click
> >"Finish".
> >But then all of a sudden it says it is "not a valid bookmark file" and no
> >favorites have been installed!
> >
> >Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

> Yes, just copy the entire Favorites folder, and overwrite
> them on your new computer.

But I wanted to email them, since otherwise, if I just copy the folder, it
is about 5 MB. If I do export, it becomes only around 550 KB.

> >Thanks!
> >
> >The reason I chose to import the registry key first was because last time

> >did it after I imported the favorites, and when I did that, my favorites
> >were still out of order. So I thought I would try it in a different

order.

> That's probably because you're putting everything in "Links".
> Links is just a special folder within Favorites; you can use
> it as a toolbar in IE.

No, I tried putting it both in the Links, and in Favorites. In either case,
it failed to import. I actually prefer them in Favorites, since if I put
them in Links, this takes an extra step to get to my favorites.

Julie P. 06-16-2004 05:01 PM

"Julie P." <jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "°Mike°" <qp_mike_qp@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > That's probably because you're putting everything in "Links".
> > Links is just a special folder within Favorites; you can use
> > it as a toolbar in IE.
> >

> No, I tried putting it both in the Links, and in Favorites. In either

case,
> it failed to import. I actually prefer them in Favorites, since if I put
> them in Links, this takes an extra step to get to my favorites.

I just tried it again, and tried to import into my Favorites folder. And it
still didn't work. I'm wondering if something got messed up while I eemailed
the file to myself.

°Mike° 06-16-2004 06:18 PM

Re: Cannot import my IE6 Favorites

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:01:31 -0400, in
<s-adnTzIWKtz4U3dRVn-hA@comcast.com>
Julie P. scrawled:

>"Julie P." <jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "°Mike°" <qp_mike_qp@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > That's probably because you're putting everything in "Links".
>> > Links is just a special folder within Favorites; you can use
>> > it as a toolbar in IE.
>> >

>> No, I tried putting it both in the Links, and in Favorites. In either

>case,
>> it failed to import. I actually prefer them in Favorites, since if I put
>> them in Links, this takes an extra step to get to my favorites.
>>

>I just tried it again, and tried to import into my Favorites folder. And it
>still didn't work. I'm wondering if something got messed up while I eemailed
>the file to myself.

"Not a valid bookmark file" suggests SOMETHING went wrong.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Julie P. 06-17-2004 03:54 AM

> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:01:31 -0400, in
> <s-adnTzIWKtz4U3dRVn-hA@comcast.com>
> Julie P. scrawled:
>
> >"Julie P." <jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> No, I tried putting it both in the Links, and in Favorites. In either

> >case,
> >> it failed to import. I actually prefer them in Favorites, since if I

put
> >> them in Links, this takes an extra step to get to my favorites.
> >>

> >I just tried it again, and tried to import into my Favorites folder. And

it
> >still didn't work. I'm wondering if something got messed up while I

eemailed
> >the file to myself.

> "Not a valid bookmark file" suggests SOMETHING went wrong.

Well, I have good news! I fixed the problem. I went to this webpage:

http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers3.htm#favorites

This is what it says:

"Importing an exported html favorites file doesn't work - "not a valid
bookmark file".
Open the html favorites file; delete the line <!-- saved from
url=(0022)http://internet.e-mail-->"

So using Windows Notepad, I opened the exported favorites file I saved on my
desktop, then deleted that line above, then saved it as something else. I
then used "file" > "import favorites" in IE6, and chose "Favorites" for the
folder to import them into, but I still got that same error message. So then
I chose The "Links" folder inside the "Favorites" folder, and it worked!

°Mike° 06-17-2004 04:53 AM

Re: Cannot import my IE6 Favorites

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 23:54:41 -0400, in
<6N2dnTMWDNGZi0zdRVn-gQ@comcast.com>
Julie P. scrawled:

>"°Mike°" <qp_mike_qp@yahoo.com> wrote in message

<snip>

>> "Not a valid bookmark file" suggests SOMETHING went wrong.
>>

>Well, I have good news! I fixed the problem. I went to this webpage:
>
>http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers3.htm#favorites
>
>This is what it says:
>
>"Importing an exported html favorites file doesn't work - "not a valid
>bookmark file".
>Open the html favorites file; delete the line <!-- saved from
>url=(0022)http://internet.e-mail-->"
>
>So using Windows Notepad, I opened the exported favorites file I saved on my
>desktop, then deleted that line above, then saved it as something else. I
>then used "file" > "import favorites" in IE6, and chose "Favorites" for the
>folder to import them into, but I still got that same error message. So then
>I chose The "Links" folder inside the "Favorites" folder, and it worked!

From that page:
"Most problems with favorites are caused by a corrupt favorites folder."

I suggest you have that problem. I have exported my Favorites,
and I do not get a line "<!-- saved from......" , and it imports
flawlessly.

I am totally baffled why you use the Links folder for all
of your bookmarks.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Julie P. 06-17-2004 06:01 AM

> From that page:
> "Most problems with favorites are caused by a corrupt favorites folder."
>
> I suggest you have that problem. I have exported my Favorites,
> and I do not get a line "<!-- saved from......" , and it imports
> flawlessly.

Well, what I did was save the email attachment to my desktop, which caused
that line to be inserted. If I had used a floppy disk, that would not have
happened.

> I am totally baffled why you use the Links folder for all
> of your bookmarks.

Because you have to; otherwise you will get that error message. Maybe that
wouldn't happen if you transferred it via media though, instead of emailing
it as an attachment.

Julie P. 06-17-2004 06:17 AM

> "°Mike°" <qp_mike_qp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

> > From that page:
> > "Most problems with favorites are caused by a corrupt favorites

folder."

> > I suggest you have that problem. I have exported my Favorites,
> > and I do not get a line "<!-- saved from......" , and it imports
> > flawlessly.
> >

> Well, what I did was save the email attachment to my desktop, which

caused
> that line to be inserted. If I had used a floppy disk, that would not have
> happened.
>
> > I am totally baffled why you use the Links folder for all
> > of your bookmarks.

> Because you have to; otherwise you will get that error message. Maybe that
> wouldn't happen if you transferred it via media though, instead of

emailing
> it as an attachment.

Ok you were right. I just went back and re-imported the exported favorites
from my desktop file, and this time I *was* able to import them into the
Favorites folder! Really weird.

°Mike° 06-17-2004 09:42 PM

Re: Cannot import my IE6 Favorites

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 02:17:30 -0400, in
<Z-SdnQnKyaXjqkzdRVn-hw@comcast.com>
Julie P. scrawled:

>"Julie P." <jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "°Mike°" <qp_mike_qp@yahoo.com> wrote in message

<snip>

>> > I am totally baffled why you use the Links folder for all
>> > of your bookmarks.

>> Because you have to; otherwise you will get that error message. Maybe that
>> wouldn't happen if you transferred it via media though, instead of
>> emailing it as an attachment.
>>

>Ok you were right. I just went back and re-imported the exported favorites
>from my desktop file, and this time I *was* able to import them into the
>Favorites folder! Really weird.

Not weird, just another noob doing things wrong. ;)

--
Basic computer maintenance