Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Need winipcfg command for XP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t201442-need-winipcfg-command-for-xp.html)

KungFusion 06-13-2004 05:19 AM

Re: Need winipcfg command for XP
 
Julie P. wrote:

> The normal solution I would use would be to use "start" > "run" >
> "winipcfg", then "release all", then "renew all",


I don't know why they didn't put the GUI ip config in XP.
Anyway, open a command window and enter
ipconfig /renew

It should show the gateway address and some other info about
your connections, or an error.

Try this first though. Power off the router. Make
sure all your cables are plugged in correctly. Now,
power down the modem. Wait a few seconds. Power
the modem back up and wait for the lights to show
the modem is "synced". After it shows you're connected,
now power up the router. Let the router get its IP from
the modem. Now you can go in and configure the router
if needed. I just went through adding a router box
and I can tell you it will *never* work unless you
resync the cable modem before powering it up!

Have fun. :)


Julie P. 06-13-2004 04:58 PM

Need winipcfg command for XP
 
I am having trouble connecting to the Internet with my Windows XP computer
through my router after I reinstalled XP Home due to Outlook Express 6
problems. I am able to connect directly to the Internet, without a router.
And My Windows 98SE computer has no trouble connecting through the router.
The normal solution I would use would be to use "start" > "run" >
"winipcfg", then "release all", then "renew all", then clear cache. at least
this has always worked with my 98SE computer. does anyone have any idea what
the equivalent command to winipcfg is with XP, and also why I cannot connect
through a router with my XP computer? Thanks!

J.



Jim Berwick 06-13-2004 05:19 PM

Re: Need winipcfg command for XP
 
"Julie P." <jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:NcWdnfxzj9IbGlHd4p2dnA@comcast.com:

> "winipcfg", then "release all", then "renew all", then clear cache. at
> least this has always worked with my 98SE computer. does anyone have
> any idea what the equivalent command to winipcfg is with XP, and also
> why I cannot connect through a router with my XP computer? Thanks!


Start, Run, cmd <enter>
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Try pinging the router, and then your ISP's gateway and see what happens.

Dominic 06-13-2004 05:19 PM

Re: Need winipcfg command for XP
 
Julie P. wrote:
> I am having trouble connecting to the Internet with my Windows XP
> computer through my router after I reinstalled XP Home due to Outlook
> Express 6 problems. I am able to connect directly to the Internet,
> without a router. And My Windows 98SE computer has no trouble
> connecting through the router. The normal solution I would use would
> be to use "start" > "run" > "winipcfg", then "release all", then
> "renew all", then clear cache. at least this has always worked with
> my 98SE computer. does anyone have any idea what the equivalent
> command to winipcfg is with XP, and also why I cannot connect through
> a router with my XP computer? Thanks!


ipconfig from the command line. Start | Run | cmd to get to the command
prompt, then ipconfig /release to release all and ipconfig /renew to renew
all (ipconfig /? shows you other options such as flushdns).

Dominic

--
ICBroadband Tech Support - working for you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
24 hour service status information telephone: 0870 760 5933
www.icbroadband.com/support



Dominic 06-13-2004 05:21 PM

Re: Need winipcfg command for XP
 
KungFusion wrote:
> Julie P. wrote:
>
>> The normal solution I would use would be to use "start" > "run" >
>> "winipcfg", then "release all", then "renew all",

>
> I don't know why they didn't put the GUI ip config in XP.
> Anyway, open a command window and enter
> ipconfig /renew
>
> It should show the gateway address and some other info about
> your connections, or an error.

<snip>

Please fix your clock.

Dominic



Julie P. 06-13-2004 05:43 PM

Re: Need winipcfg command for XP
 
"Jim Berwick" <jimb@snip.net> wrote in message
news:Xns950787776A85Fjimbsnipnet@207.103.26.26...
> "Julie P." <jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote in
> news:NcWdnfxzj9IbGlHd4p2dnA@comcast.com:
>
> > "winipcfg", then "release all", then "renew all", then clear cache. at
> > least this has always worked with my 98SE computer. does anyone have
> > any idea what the equivalent command to winipcfg is with XP, and also
> > why I cannot connect through a router with my XP computer? Thanks!

>
> Start, Run, cmd <enter>
> ipconfig /release
> ipconfig /renew
>


Beautiful! It worked. You guys Jim, Kung, and Dominic are geniuses!

> Try pinging the router, and then your ISP's gateway and see what happens.


I don't actually know how to do this. But at least I am back online. :)

J.



Unk 06-13-2004 06:34 PM

Re: Need winipcfg command for XP
 
On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:58:26 -0400, "Julie P." <jporpiglia@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I am having trouble connecting to the Internet with my Windows XP computer
>through my router after I reinstalled XP Home due to Outlook Express 6
>problems. I am able to connect directly to the Internet, without a router.
>And My Windows 98SE computer has no trouble connecting through the router.
>The normal solution I would use would be to use "start" > "run" >
>"winipcfg", then "release all", then "renew all", then clear cache. at least
>this has always worked with my 98SE computer. does anyone have any idea what
>the equivalent command to winipcfg is with XP, and also why I cannot connect
>through a router with my XP computer? Thanks!
>
>J.
>


Microsoft's IPConfig Utility for Windows 2k, NT, XP "Wntipcfg.exe"
It's just like the "Winipcfg.exe" in Windows98
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...wntipcfg-o.asp



Ron Martell 06-13-2004 08:07 PM

Re: Need winipcfg command for XP
 
"Julie P." <jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am having trouble connecting to the Internet with my Windows XP computer
>through my router after I reinstalled XP Home due to Outlook Express 6
>problems. I am able to connect directly to the Internet, without a router.
>And My Windows 98SE computer has no trouble connecting through the router.
>The normal solution I would use would be to use "start" > "run" >
>"winipcfg", then "release all", then "renew all", then clear cache. at least
>this has always worked with my 98SE computer. does anyone have any idea what
>the equivalent command to winipcfg is with XP, and also why I cannot connect
>through a router with my XP computer? Thanks!
>
>J.
>


For future reference.

Open Control Panel - Network Connections.

Right-click on the icon for your Internet connection and select
Status. That has information in a GUI format and the Repair button
does a release and renew of the i.p. address.

Good luck


Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

"The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."

Julie P. 06-15-2004 03:09 AM

Re: Need winipcfg command for XP
 
"Ron Martell" <ron@onlinehelp.bc.ca> wrote in message
news:2scpc0h9rlott7atqg8lf6rq4o6l4ba1nt@4ax.com...

>
> For future reference.
>
> Open Control Panel - Network Connections.
>
> Right-click on the icon for your Internet connection and select
> Status. That has information in a GUI format and the Repair button
> does a release and renew of the i.p. address.
>
> Good luck



Thanks Ron. Sorry, I didn't see your post earlier. You're right. I just
checked, and it was there. The repair button is definitely a lot easier than
doing a command line, and then ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew.





All times are GMT. The time now is 11:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.