Velocity Reviews

-   -   Virus BKDR_SPYBOT.BB. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t200980-virus-bkdr_spybot-bb.html)

geopelia 06-07-2004 10:04 PM

Virus BKDR_SPYBOT.BB.

I got BKDR_SPYBOT.BB.
I don't open attachments and I have PC-cillin up to date, but my technician
thinks it is a new one that got in before PC-cillin could send out an
update.
It was in the Restore part, and he has removed it. There were two of them,
A0584423.CPY[ and A0584426.CPY[
It doesn't seem to be in any of the websites where I looked for it,
e.g.xtra, symantec etc. Trust me to catch something nobody else knows about!
PC-cillin sent removal instructions, but they included deleting a file my
computer doesn't have, so I got an expert to deal with it. I haven't a clue
myself.

Just in case anyone else got an email with what one indignant person
described as
"your XXX Porn", it wasn't really from me! Please accept my apologies.
Maybe all the advertisements for porn I'm getting are from unsuspecting
people with this virus too.
They're barking up the wrong tree, I'm 75.
Apart from that, I don't think the virus has done any harm.
Geopelia

°Mike° 06-07-2004 10:16 PM

Re: Virus BKDR_SPYBOT.BB.

This one?

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...WORM_SPYBOT.BB

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...ybot.worm.html

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 10:04:51 +1200, in
<0D5xc.1466$GB4.50979@news.xtra.co.nz>
geopelia scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

reid decker 06-08-2004 12:09 AM

Re: Virus BKDR_SPYBOT.BB.

You are not alone. I keep getting "returned mail" messages
supposedly showing a recipient I don't know or want to know, from some
yayhoo who thinks he's smart and uses my email address to claim I sent a
virus. This SOB should grow up and mind his own business.

geopelia 06-08-2004 01:30 AM

Re: Virus BKDR_SPYBOT.BB.

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...me=WORM_SPYBOT.
BB

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...ybot.worm.html

That looks like the one. It's been removed now.

I don't know how it managed to get in past PC-cillin though.

Thank you, I'll save those websites, but I think I will leave removing
things like this to the experts until I learn a bit more about computers.
Geopelia

geopelia 06-08-2004 01:36 AM

Re: Virus BKDR_SPYBOT.BB.

"reid decker" <reidal1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:fz6xc.17384$tl4.12761@bignews6.bellsouth.net. ..
> You are not alone. I keep getting "returned mail" messages
> supposedly showing a recipient I don't know or want to know, from some
> yayhoo who thinks he's smart and uses my email address to claim I sent a
> virus. This SOB should grow up and mind his own business.
> "geopelia" <phildoran@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> > I got BKDR_SPYBOT.BB.
> > I don't open attachments and I have PC-cillin up to date, but my

> technician
> > thinks it is a new one that got in before PC-cillin could send out an
> > update.
> > It was in the Restore part, and he has removed it. There were two of

them,
> > A0584423.CPY[ and A0584426.CPY[
> > It doesn't seem to be in any of the websites where I looked for it,
> > e.g.xtra, symantec etc. Trust me to catch something nobody else knows

> about!
> > PC-cillin sent removal instructions, but they included deleting a file

my
> > computer doesn't have, so I got an expert to deal with it. I haven't a

> clue
> > myself.
> >
> > Just in case anyone else got an email with what one indignant person
> > described as
> > "your XXX Porn", it wasn't really from me! Please accept my apologies.
> > Maybe all the advertisements for porn I'm getting are from unsuspecting
> > people with this virus too.
> > They're barking up the wrong tree, I'm 75.
> > Apart from that, I don't think the virus has done any harm.
> > Geopelia

It's all very well these idiots sending porn to people like me, too old to
worry, but what if there are children in the recipient's family?
One good thing, there doesn't seem to be any child porn included, thank
goodness. I'm just sorry for the girls who have to do that for a living.
Geopelia

°Mike° 06-08-2004 03:54 AM

Re: Virus BKDR_SPYBOT.BB.

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 13:30:47 +1200, in
<4E8xc.1552$GB4.52707@news.xtra.co.nz>
geopelia scrawled:

>"°Mike°" <qp_mike_qp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> This one?
>>

>http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...me=WORM_SPYBOT.
>BB
>>

>http://securityresponse.symantec.com...ybot.worm.html
>>

>That looks like the one. It's been removed now.
>
>I don't know how it managed to get in past PC-cillin though.
>
>Thank you, I'll save those websites, but I think I will leave removing
>things like this to the experts until I learn a bit more about computers.
>Geopelia

You're welcome.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Plato 06-08-2004 06:34 AM

Re: Virus BKDR_SPYBOT.BB.

geopelia wrote:

> I don't open attachments and I have PC-cillin up to date, but my technician
> thinks it is a new one that got in before PC-cillin could send out an
> update.

You dont need to open attachments these days to install a virus. Even if
you are using a plain text non-ms email program. Simply reading/clicking
on an email from an unknown can put a virus on your system.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

geopelia 06-08-2004 12:17 PM

Re: Virus BKDR_SPYBOT.BB.

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
> geopelia wrote:
> >
> > I don't open attachments and I have PC-cillin up to date, but my

technician
> > thinks it is a new one that got in before PC-cillin could send out an
> > update.

> You dont need to open attachments these days to install a virus. Even if
> you are using a plain text non-ms email program. Simply reading/clicking
> on an email from an unknown can put a virus on your system.
>

> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/

Thank you
That website is much too advanced for me.

Geopelia