Velocity Reviews

-   -   Dual Boot ? Compaq (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t200787-dual-boot-compaq.html)

philo 06-05-2004 09:12 AM

Dual Boot ? Compaq

yesterday i installed XP on a Compaq celeron 633 that had Win ME factory
installed on the C: drive. the machine's owner told me i could "blow away"
the
ME installation, but i told them i'd set it up as dual boot if possible

the machine already had a small D: partition...
so basically all i had to do was use partition magic to reduce the C: drive
and expand the D:

when i used partition magic i noticed that the D: drive was properly
identified
but the "C:" drive merely was labeled with a "star" (or asterisk ) and not
given
the letter "C:" as expected.

at any rate XP installed fine however there was no option to boot to ME
(even if i manually added that choice to boot.ini)

the only way i could run ME was to boot with a floppy and do a sys C:
which of course made XP unbootable so i had to run fixboot from the
recovery console (which then made ME unbootable)

i know that on the older Compaq machines, there was an onboard "bios"
partition...but this machine had none viewable from partition magic. does
anyone know it Compaq now uses their own drive overlay perhaps?

at any rate ME is now gone from the boot option
but if there was any data their the owner needs, he can still get at it.

Note: even though he had given me permission to "blow away" the ME
installtion..i'm glad i kept it. he had somehow forgotten about the data
base he kept their with over 5000 entries now recovered to his XP
installtion !!!!!

Parko 06-05-2004 09:39 AM

Re: Dual Boot ? Compaq

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 04:12:09 -0500, philo wrote:

> Note: even though he had given me permission to "blow away" the ME
> installtion..i'm glad i kept it. he had somehow forgotten about the data
> base he kept their with over 5000 entries now recovered to his XP
> installtion !!!!!

That's a lot of *ahem* .jpegs...

--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345

philo 06-05-2004 09:47 AM

Re: Dual Boot ? Compaq

> That's a lot of *ahem* .jpegs...

the guy owns a bookstore, however it's not *that* kind of bookstore.