Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows explorer won't open folders using the same window (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t200691-windows-explorer-wont-open-folders-using-the-same-window.html)

Rick Arding 06-04-2004 02:40 AM

Windows explorer won't open folders using the same window

I'm using windows 98se and at one point I changed my file association
for "Folder" and "File Folder" to a file/directory viewer that I've
used for years and wanted to try out as an explorer replacement. It
didn't do all I hoped so I set the association "default" back to
"Open" on "Folders" and to Windows Explorer on "File Folders".

Now when I open Windows Explorer and double click another file folder
it always opens in a new window unless I use double pane with the
explorer bar set to file folders.

Things I have tried to fix this:

VIEW/FOLDER OPTIONS Hit the settings button and select "Open each
folder in the same window"

reset all folders to active desktop, web page,custom,classic and every
folder option I could find and set them each back again after checking
the results.

My system is clean of adware, spyware, virii and trojans and I have no
other problems other than this one.

changing HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/directory/shell default text to "none"

reinstalled c:\windows\inf\shell.inf

used the repair option (in add/remove programs) on Internet Explorer

used tweakui and selected "rebuild file associations"

searched and read about others who had the same problem on google
groups (dejanews) and google web search. There were no useful answers
other than the ones i've tried

removed all associations from "folder directory" associations (all are
editable) then replaced, removed associations from "folders" (only the
editable ones) and replaced.

I'm at a loss for anything else to try.
--
Black holes are where God divided by zero

°Mike° 06-04-2004 03:34 AM

Re: Windows explorer won't open folders using the same window

Download, unzip and double click the following .reg
file, then reboot. This will reset your folder/directory
registry settings to the way they should be.
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/temp/folders.zip

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 19:40:39 -0700, in
<29ovb01b9pm3l46i29dj5378cb4st1teor@4ax.com>
Rick Arding scrawled:

>I'm using windows 98se and at one point I changed my file association
>for "Folder" and "File Folder" to a file/directory viewer that I've
>used for years and wanted to try out as an explorer replacement. It
>didn't do all I hoped so I set the association "default" back to
>"Open" on "Folders" and to Windows Explorer on "File Folders".
>
>Now when I open Windows Explorer and double click another file folder
>it always opens in a new window unless I use double pane with the
>explorer bar set to file folders.
>
> Things I have tried to fix this:
>
>VIEW/FOLDER OPTIONS Hit the settings button and select "Open each
>folder in the same window"
>
>reset all folders to active desktop, web page,custom,classic and every
>folder option I could find and set them each back again after checking
>the results.
>
>My system is clean of adware, spyware, virii and trojans and I have no
>other problems other than this one.
>
>changing HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/directory/shell default text to "none"
>
>reinstalled c:\windows\inf\shell.inf
>
>used the repair option (in add/remove programs) on Internet Explorer
>
>used tweakui and selected "rebuild file associations"
>
>searched and read about others who had the same problem on google
>groups (dejanews) and google web search. There were no useful answers
>other than the ones i've tried
>
>removed all associations from "folder directory" associations (all are
>editable) then replaced, removed associations from "folders" (only the
>editable ones) and replaced.
>
>I'm at a loss for anything else to try.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Rick Arding 06-04-2004 04:40 AM

Re: Windows explorer won't open folders using the same window

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 04:34:37 +0100, °Mike° <qp_mike_qp@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Download, unzip and double click the following .reg
>file, then reboot. This will reset your folder/directory
>registry settings to the way they should be.
>http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/temp/folders.zip
>

>On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 19:40:39 -0700, in
> <29ovb01b9pm3l46i29dj5378cb4st1teor@4ax.com>
> Rick Arding scrawled:
>
>>I'm using windows 98se and at one point I changed my file association
>>for "Folder" and "File Folder" to a file/directory viewer that I've
>>used for years and wanted to try out as an explorer replacement. It
>>didn't do all I hoped so I set the association "default" back to
>>"Open" on "Folders" and to Windows Explorer on "File Folders".
>>
>>Now when I open Windows Explorer and double click another file folder
>>it always opens in a new window unless I use double pane with the
>>explorer bar set to file folders.
>>
>> Things I have tried to fix this:
>>
>>VIEW/FOLDER OPTIONS Hit the settings button and select "Open each
>>folder in the same window"
>>
>>reset all folders to active desktop, web page,custom,classic and every
>>folder option I could find and set them each back again after checking
>>the results.
>>
>>My system is clean of adware, spyware, virii and trojans and I have no
>>other problems other than this one.
>>
>>changing HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/directory/shell default text to "none"
>>
>>reinstalled c:\windows\inf\shell.inf
>>
>>used the repair option (in add/remove programs) on Internet Explorer
>>
>>used tweakui and selected "rebuild file associations"
>>
>>searched and read about others who had the same problem on google
>>groups (dejanews) and google web search. There were no useful answers
>>other than the ones i've tried
>>
>>removed all associations from "folder directory" associations (all are
>>editable) then replaced, removed associations from "folders" (only the
>>editable ones) and replaced.
>>
>>I'm at a loss for anything else to try.

It didn't seem to change any associations and when I double click it
still creates a new window. I checked the settings and it's still set
to open in the same window.

When I Right-click on a folder from the Windows Explorer menu, I get
two "Open" choices on the menu, one is bold, which I suppose means its
the default one that's not working correctly, and one is not bold
which, if selected, opens in the same window.

I have an "Open" in "File Folders" association which is editable and I
have it pointing to c:\windows\explorer.exe. I have an "OPEN" in
"Folders" association which is un editable both selected as the
default.

--
Black holes are where God divided by zero

°Mike° 06-04-2004 06:56 AM

Re: Windows explorer won't open folders using the same window

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:40:15 -0700, in
<nmuvb0ph74ljdsmqno6opusiakqvucn5d3@4ax.com>
Rick Arding scrawled:

<snip>

>It didn't seem to change any associations and when I double click it
>still creates a new window. I checked the settings and it's still set
>to open in the same window.
>
>When I Right-click on a folder from the Windows Explorer menu, I get
>two "Open" choices on the menu, one is bold, which I suppose means its
>the default one that's not working correctly, and one is not bold
>which, if selected, opens in the same window.
>
>I have an "Open" in "File Folders" association which is editable and I
>have it pointing to c:\windows\explorer.exe. I have an "OPEN" in
>"Folders" association which is un editable both selected as the
>default.

Copy/paste the following into Notepad and save as a .reg
file. Double click to merge. Once you have done that,
re-merge the first .reg file that you downloaded. Make
sure there is a blank line at the end of this .reg file.

***** <--- Omit this line
REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder]

***** <-- Omit this line

Make sure you back up your registry first, too.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Rick Arding 06-04-2004 07:28 AM

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 07:56:12 +0100, °Mike° <qp_mike_qp@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Copy/paste the following into Notepad and save as a .reg
>file. Double click to merge. Once you have done that,
>re-merge the first .reg file that you downloaded. Make
>sure there is a blank line at the end of this .reg file.

IT WORKED! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. Worked
perfectly. I saw a few references to this in my reading, usually from
people changing the folder icon, but no solutions.
--
Black holes are where God divided by zero

°Mike° 06-05-2004 06:12 AM

Re: Windows explorer won't open folders using the same window

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 00:28:18 -0700, in
<il80c09v4ivabqq5816gkfp6tm03aeavb1@4ax.com>
Rick Arding scrawled:

>>On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:40:15 -0700, in
>> <nmuvb0ph74ljdsmqno6opusiakqvucn5d3@4ax.com>
>> Rick Arding scrawled:
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>>It didn't seem to change any associations and when I double click it
>>>still creates a new window. I checked the settings and it's still set
>>>to open in the same window.

>On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 07:56:12 +0100, °Mike° <qp_mike_qp@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Copy/paste the following into Notepad and save as a .reg
>>file. Double click to merge. Once you have done that,
>>re-merge the first .reg file that you downloaded. Make
>>sure there is a blank line at the end of this .reg file.

>IT WORKED! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. Worked
>perfectly. I saw a few references to this in my reading, usually from
>people changing the folder icon, but no solutions.

You're welcome.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Jin{ 06-26-2006 11:16 AM

Hey,

I'm dealing with the same problem and I would like to test the solution posted here. Sadly enough the downloadlink for that reg-file isn't working anymore. Could someone point me in the right direction? Been dealing with this problem for weeks. It appeared after I changed my folder icon.

thx in advance,

Jin{ 07-08-2006 09:54 PM

I must say this board is amazingly helpful. Thanks alot cough

Glenn 06-06-2007 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jin{
Hey,

I'm dealing with the same problem and I would like to test the solution posted here. Sadly enough the downloadlink for that reg-file isn't working anymore. Could someone point me in the right direction? Been dealing with this problem for weeks. It appeared after I changed my folder icon.

thx in advance,

Ditto.

The /temp page here tells me to go away.

If the site is still maintained, please could you simply post the necessary reg changes as text, ideally with all of the parts (see secondary post by Mike) in the correct place.

But anyway, giving the info, since it is currently very tantalising to know that someone has the solution, but no longer gives it.

Many thanks,
Glenn

Glenn 06-06-2007 10:17 AM

The answer

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1101855772

"None of these solutions worked, but i solved the problem myself. the problem is that under "Options > File Types" i had two behaviors, "Explore" and "Open." "Open" is what makes the folders open in a new window, no matter what you set in the "Options" menu, you have to set "Explore" as the DEFAULT option, instead of "Open." then everything will work as planned."

Note: He is talking about File Types -

Folder

- rather than -

File Folder