Velocity Reviews

-   -   System File Checker (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t200475-system-file-checker.html)

Gollum 06-01-2004 01:18 PM

System File Checker

I,ve been trying to run SFC by going to start/run and typing sfc. I get a
quick glimpse of a DOS window for a split second, and then, nothing!
My antivirus shows nothing, whats happened??

Win XP Home
P 4 256 RAM
1.6 Ghz

Trent SC 06-01-2004 01:41 PM

Re: System File Checker

> I,ve been trying to run SFC by going to start/run and typing sfc. I get a
> quick glimpse of a DOS window for a split second, and then, nothing!
> My antivirus shows nothing, whats happened??
>
> Win XP Home
> P 4 256 RAM
> 1.6 Ghz

Try "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes, obviously). There's an extract from
a MSKB article about SFC below. HTH

---------------------------

This article describes System File Checker (Sfc.exe), which is a
command-line utility used with the Windows File Protection (WFP) feature.

MORE INFORMATION
System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected
files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a
protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the
file from the cache folder (%Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache) or the Windows
installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file. System File
Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on
as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System
File Checker. If the cache folder becomes damaged or unusable, you can use
the sfc /scannow, the sfc /scanonce, or the sfc /scanboot commands to repair
its contents.

System File Checker Tool Syntax
Sfc [/Scannow] [/Scanonce] [/Scanboot] [/Revert] [/Purgecache]
[/Cachesize=x]

· /Scannow: Scans all protected system files immediately and
replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. This command
may require access to the Windows installation source files.

· /Scanonce: Scans all protected system files one time when you
restart your computer. This command may require access to the Windows
installation source files when you restart the computer. The SfcScan DWORD
value is set to 2 in the following registry key when you run this command:

· /Scanboot: Scans all protected system files every time you start
your computer. This command may require access to the Windows installation
source files every time you start your computer. The SfcScan DWORD value is
set to 1 in the following registry key when you run this command:

· /Revert: Returns scan to the default setting (do not scan
protected files when you start the computer).The default cache size is not
reset when you run this command. This command is equivalent to the /Enable
switch in Windows 2000.

· /Purgecache: Purges the file cache and scans all protected system
files immediately. This command may require access to the Windows
installation source files.

· /Cachesize=x: Sets the file cache size to x megabytes (MB). The
default size of the cache is 50 MB. This command requires you to restart the
computer, and then run the /purgecache command to adjust the size of the
on-disk cache. This command sets the SfcQuota DWORD value to x in the
following registry key:

Isaac 06-01-2004 02:29 PM

Re: System File Checker

"Gollum" <smeagol@middlearth.com> wrote in news:40bc822c$1_1@mk-nntp-
2.news.uk.tiscali.com:

> I,ve been trying to run SFC by going to start/run and typing sfc. I get a
> quick glimpse of a DOS window for a split second, and then, nothing!
> My antivirus shows nothing, whats happened??
>
> Win XP Home
> P 4 256 RAM
> 1.6 Ghz

Try typing cmd, and in the commandprompt which opens sfc.

Trev 06-01-2004 02:39 PM

Re: System File Checker

"Gollum" <smeagol@middlearth.com> wrote in message
> I,ve been trying to run SFC by going to start/run and typing sfc. I get a
> quick glimpse of a DOS window for a split second, and then, nothing!
> My antivirus shows nothing, whats happened??
>
> Win XP Home
> P 4 256 RAM
> 1.6 Ghz

You need to open a cod window first but Sac runs in the background on XP
checking and replacing damaged files all sac scannow does is re build the
cache

°Mike° 06-01-2004 02:52 PM

Re: System File Checker

Open a command prompt and type sfc /?

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 14:18:39 +0100, in
<40bc822c$1_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>
Gollum scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

ImhoTech 06-01-2004 06:40 PM

Re: System File Checker

"Gollum" <smeagol@middlearth.com> wrote in message
> I,ve been trying to run SFC by going to start/run and typing sfc. I get a
> quick glimpse of a DOS window for a split second, and then, nothing!
> My antivirus shows nothing, whats happened??
>
> Win XP Home
> P 4 256 RAM
> 1.6 Ghz

Nothing!