Velocity Reviews

-   -   putting my PC back together - HELP! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t200168-putting-my-pc-back-together-help.html)

NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz 05-28-2004 11:06 AM

putting my PC back together - HELP!

Okay, I haven't had reason to mess with my pc's insides for a long time now,
and I have a problem now that I've opened it up.

I had a working Dell, and wanted to pull the working HDD and CDrom drive
from it to put them into another machine. But a friend needed a computer,
so I want to put the same HDD and a different CDrom back in (I want the
better CDrom that was in it for my own computer, so I'm putting a different
CDrom back in).

I reinstalled XP, but after that, it won't recognize that I have a CDrom
installed. I have a "C" drive, but no "D". So I started messing with the
jumper settings, and now I'm really confused.

I have two IDE slots off the motherboard. I've changed around the cabling,
each using it's own cable, and then sharing one.

How do I set the jumpers for the CDrom and the HDD? Do I use one IDE cable
or two seperate ones?

I looked up the CD drive on the manufacturer website, and it says there are
no updatable drivers for XP, that XP will recognize it without them. It
doesn't. I've tried "Add New Hardware" wizard, nothing.

Any ideas?

Is there any OTHER reason it might not be recognizing the drive?

Oh, by the way, I've tried 3 different known working CD drives in there, so
it's not a bad drive.

Thanks. I can't see wasting more time on this, so I figured I'd come here
trying to get an answer.

Linda

Brian 05-28-2004 11:56 AM

Re: putting my PC back together - HELP!

"NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz" <Nobody@****Spam.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Okay, I haven't had reason to mess with my pc's insides for a long time

now,
> and I have a problem now that I've opened it up.
>
> I had a working Dell, and wanted to pull the working HDD and CDrom drive
> from it to put them into another machine. But a friend needed a computer,
> so I want to put the same HDD and a different CDrom back in (I want the
> better CDrom that was in it for my own computer, so I'm putting a

different
> CDrom back in).
>
> I reinstalled XP, but after that, it won't recognize that I have a CDrom
> installed. I have a "C" drive, but no "D". So I started messing with the
> jumper settings, and now I'm really confused.
>
> I have two IDE slots off the motherboard. I've changed around the

cabling,
> each using it's own cable, and then sharing one.
>
> How do I set the jumpers for the CDrom and the HDD? Do I use one IDE

cable
> or two seperate ones?
>
> I looked up the CD drive on the manufacturer website, and it says there

are
> no updatable drivers for XP, that XP will recognize it without them. It
> doesn't. I've tried "Add New Hardware" wizard, nothing.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Is there any OTHER reason it might not be recognizing the drive?
>
> Oh, by the way, I've tried 3 different known working CD drives in there,

so
> it's not a bad drive.
>
> Thanks. I can't see wasting more time on this, so I figured I'd come here
> trying to get an answer.
>
> Linda

Hi Linda. It doesn't matter if you use one or two ide cables... (but use one
for now) check your jumper settings on the cdrom and set it to slave (should
be a diagramm of the settings there somewhere).. auto detect. failing that
go into registry, search for NOIDE and delete(if the key is there)

Avengerę 05-28-2004 11:58 AM

Re: putting my PC back together - HELP!

On Fri, 28 May 2004 11:06:05 GMT, "NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz"
<Nobody@****Spam.net> wrote:

>Okay, I haven't had reason to mess with my pc's insides for a long time now,
>and I have a problem now that I've opened it up.
>
>I had a working Dell, and wanted to pull the working HDD and CDrom drive
>from it to put them into another machine. But a friend needed a computer,
>so I want to put the same HDD and a different CDrom back in (I want the
>better CDrom that was in it for my own computer, so I'm putting a different
>CDrom back in).
>
>I reinstalled XP, but after that, it won't recognize that I have a CDrom
>installed. I have a "C" drive, but no "D". So I started messing with the
>jumper settings, and now I'm really confused.
>
>I have two IDE slots off the motherboard. I've changed around the cabling,
>each using it's own cable, and then sharing one.
>
>How do I set the jumpers for the CDrom and the HDD? Do I use one IDE cable
>or two seperate ones?
>
>I looked up the CD drive on the manufacturer website, and it says there are
>no updatable drivers for XP, that XP will recognize it without them. It
>doesn't. I've tried "Add New Hardware" wizard, nothing.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Is there any OTHER reason it might not be recognizing the drive?
>
>Oh, by the way, I've tried 3 different known working CD drives in there, so
>it's not a bad drive.
>
>Thanks. I can't see wasting more time on this, so I figured I'd come here
>trying to get an answer.
>
>Linda

You can use two devices on the one IDE channel, normally the HDD is
set to master and CD drive set to slave. Turn off your computer first
then check that each device is set as master/slave. Then re-boot.
Windows should then recognize both drives. Post back and update on
your results.
--
Avengerę
webweaver@CATihug.com.au

NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz 05-28-2004 12:09 PM

Re: putting my PC back together - HELP!

What does the NOIDE thing in the registry do? I'll surely try that, but
wondering why it's there in the first place, what the function is....

Thanks!

Linda

Brian 05-28-2004 12:11 PM

> What does the NOIDE thing in the registry do? I'll surely try that, but
> wondering why it's there in the first place, what the function is....
>
> Thanks!
>
> Linda
>

> "Brian" <b_dyke@web.de> wrote in message
> >
> > "NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz" <Nobody@****Spam.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > Okay, I haven't had reason to mess with my pc's insides for a long

time
> > now,
> > > and I have a problem now that I've opened it up.
> > >
> > > I had a working Dell, and wanted to pull the working HDD and CDrom

drive
> > > from it to put them into another machine. But a friend needed a

> computer,
> > > so I want to put the same HDD and a different CDrom back in (I want

the
> > > better CDrom that was in it for my own computer, so I'm putting a

> > different
> > > CDrom back in).
> > >
> > > I reinstalled XP, but after that, it won't recognize that I have a

CDrom
> > > installed. I have a "C" drive, but no "D". So I started messing with

> the
> > > jumper settings, and now I'm really confused.
> > >
> > > I have two IDE slots off the motherboard. I've changed around the

> > cabling,
> > > each using it's own cable, and then sharing one.
> > >
> > > How do I set the jumpers for the CDrom and the HDD? Do I use one IDE

> > cable
> > > or two seperate ones?
> > >
> > > I looked up the CD drive on the manufacturer website, and it says

there
> > are
> > > no updatable drivers for XP, that XP will recognize it without them.

It
> > > doesn't. I've tried "Add New Hardware" wizard, nothing.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Is there any OTHER reason it might not be recognizing the drive?
> > >
> > > Oh, by the way, I've tried 3 different known working CD drives in

there,
> > so
> > > it's not a bad drive.
> > >
> > > Thanks. I can't see wasting more time on this, so I figured I'd come

> here
> > > trying to get an answer.
> > >
> > > Linda
> > >

> > Hi Linda. It doesn't matter if you use one or two ide cables... (but use

> one
> > for now) check your jumper settings on the cdrom and set it to slave

> (should
> > be a diagramm of the settings there somewhere).. auto detect. failing

that
> > go into registry, search for NOIDE and delete(if the key is there)

NOIDE gets written in the reg when it fails to find devices on your ide
bus.. not as default... but first do the jumper setting and use one cable!
hdd = primary master cdrom=slave.. windows should then find them

Brian

NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz 05-28-2004 12:30 PM

Re: putting my PC back together - HELP!

Okay, that is helpful to know. Someone should write a book called
'demystifying windows registry'....

Anyway, I'm going to risk sounding totally incompetent here, but I want to
make sure everything is right.... From the motherboard, the long end of
the IDE cable... then the middle IDE connector to the HDD, then the end
connector to the CDrom?

Brian 05-28-2004 12:40 PM

> Okay, that is helpful to know. Someone should write a book called
> 'demystifying windows registry'....
>
> Anyway, I'm going to risk sounding totally incompetent here, but I want to
> make sure everything is right.... From the motherboard, the long end of
> the IDE cable... then the middle IDE connector to the HDD, then the end
> connector to the CDrom?
>
> Linda
>

> "Brian" <b_dyke@web.de> wrote in message
> >
> > "NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz" <Nobody@****Spam.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > What does the NOIDE thing in the registry do? I'll surely try that,

but
> > > wondering why it's there in the first place, what the function is....
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Linda
> > >

> > > "Brian" <b_dyke@web.de> wrote in message

> > time

> > drive
> > > computer,

want
> > the

> > CDrom

> with
> > > the

> IDE

> > there

them.
> > It

> > there,

> come
> > > here

> use
> > > one
> > > (should

failing
> > that
> > > >

> > NOIDE gets written in the reg when it fails to find devices on your ide
> > bus.. not as default... but first do the jumper setting and use one

cable!
> > hdd = primary master cdrom=slave.. windows should then find them
> >
> > Brian

Try it the other way around Linda oh nad one more thing(don't know if you
read it above)

Check the power to the CD-ROM drive . See if the activity LED works. Try to
open the tray (the tray will still open even if the drive hasn't been found
by the system). If the tray doesn't open the drive does not have power;
check the plug connection to the drive inside the case. If it doesn't work,
try another one.. other than that i'm not sure! hope that your jumper
settings are right.

Also, look in the device manager if its there with a q mark next to it... if
so get back ;)

Brian

Brian 05-28-2004 12:47 PM

Re: putting my PC back together - HELP!

"NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz" <Nobody@****Spam.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Okay, that is helpful to know. Someone should write a book called
> 'demystifying windows registry'....
>
> Anyway, I'm going to risk sounding totally incompetent here, but I want to
> make sure everything is right.... From the motherboard, the long end of
> the IDE cable... then the middle IDE connector to the HDD, then the end
> connector to the CDrom?
>
> Linda
>

> "Brian" <b_dyke@web.de> wrote in message
> >
> > "NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz" <Nobody@****Spam.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > What does the NOIDE thing in the registry do? I'll surely try that,

but
> > > wondering why it's there in the first place, what the function is....
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Linda
> > >

> > > "Brian" <b_dyke@web.de> wrote in message

> > time

> > drive
> > > computer,

want
> > the

> > CDrom

> with
> > > the

> IDE

> > there

them.
> > It

> > there,

> come
> > > here

> use
> > > one
> > > (should

failing
> > that
> > > >

> > NOIDE gets written in the reg when it fails to find devices on your ide
> > bus.. not as default... but first do the jumper setting and use one

cable!
> > hdd = primary master cdrom=slave.. windows should then find them
> >
> > Brian

also, goto start>>run type in msconfig goto the tab system.ini and make sure
that all drivers are ticked

Brian

NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz 05-28-2004 12:56 PM

Re: putting my PC back together - HELP!

As far as the CDrom power goes,

I get a green light briefly as the computer boots up, then it's orange
continually. It has power. Under device manager, I get no CD drive showing
up at all, no ! or ? at all there...

Brian 05-28-2004 01:02 PM

> As far as the CDrom power goes,
>
> I get a green light briefly as the computer boots up, then it's orange
> continually. It has power. Under device manager, I get no CD drive

showing
> up at all, no ! or ? at all there...
>
> Linda
>

> "Brian" <b_dyke@web.de> wrote in message
> >
> > "NoNewz_Iz_GoodNewz" <Nobody@****Spam.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > Okay, that is helpful to know. Someone should write a book called
> > > 'demystifying windows registry'....
> > >
> > > Anyway, I'm going to risk sounding totally incompetent here, but I

want
> > > make sure everything is right.... From the motherboard, the long end

> of
> > > the IDE cable... then the middle IDE connector to the HDD, then the

end
> > > connector to the CDrom?
> > >
> > > Linda
> > >

> > > "Brian" <b_dyke@web.de> wrote in message

that,
> > but

> is....

Newsbeitrag

> long

> CDrom

> > want

putting

have

> messing
> > > with

> the

> one
> > > IDE

> says

> > them.

drive?

> in

I'd
> > > come

> (but
> > > use

> slave

> > failing

there)

> ide

> > cable!

> > Try it the other way around Linda oh nad one more thing(don't know if

you
> > read it above)
> >
> > Check the power to the CD-ROM drive . See if the activity LED works. Try

> > open the tray (the tray will still open even if the drive hasn't been

> found
> > by the system). If the tray doesn't open the drive does not have power;
> > check the plug connection to the drive inside the case. If it doesn't

> work,
> > try another one.. other than that i'm not sure! hope that your jumper
> > settings are right.
> >
> > Also, look in the device manager if its there with a q mark next to

it...
> if
> > so get back ;)
> >
> > Brian

well the only thing i can think of is that the driver isn't getting loaded
on a system start

refer to my last post please.. as to the msconfig... and make sure the
drivers are getting loaded in the sys.ini
other than that i would do an update check with MS and install all
updates....