Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sharing files between two computers on the same network (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t199917-sharing-files-between-two-computers-on-the-same-network.html)

Charles Boyer 05-24-2004 04:34 PM

Sharing files between two computers on the same network

I have two computers side by side. Both are connected to a Linksys 4
port cable/dsl router.

The router is connected to a Zyxel Charter Cable high speed router which
accepts the signal from the cable that comes through the wall.

I would like to set up file sharing between the two computers which are
located side by side.

So far I haven't been able to get it to work.

I have about 100 MB of data I would like to transfer from one to the
other. It is supposed to be easy to setup, but that has not been my
experience so far.

Can anyone post a step by step set of instructions on how to accomplish
this task?

Charlie Beebee

Brian 05-24-2004 04:49 PM

Re: Sharing files between two computers on the same network

"Charles Boyer" <clb6969@charterinternet.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:MPG.1b1be016ec5b1f259896bd@news.charter.net.. .

> I have two computers side by side. Both are connected to a Linksys 4
> port cable/dsl router.
>
> The router is connected to a Zyxel Charter Cable high speed router which
> accepts the signal from the cable that comes through the wall.
>
> I would like to set up file sharing between the two computers which are
> located side by side.
>
> So far I haven't been able to get it to work.
>
> I have about 100 MB of data I would like to transfer from one to the
> other. It is supposed to be easy to setup, but that has not been my
> experience so far.
>
> Can anyone post a step by step set of instructions on how to accomplish
> this task?
>

> Charlie Beebee

ok first things first..

1. both computers have to be in the same work group/domain
2. both PCs have to have a static address i.e 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2
3. both PCs need to have DNS aktiviert
4. if u want both PCs to share the i-net the "host" needs to have the ICS
aktiviert (i-net connection anclicken>> and give it free)
5. on the client the hosts IP should be written in as gateway and as dns
server...
in your explorer then network environment doubleclick and both PCs should
find each other

hope you have luck... but watch out your dsl router will not be as fast as
lan(100kbps)

if it needs to be quicker i would refer to a crossover cable between both
PCs. will then have the 100kbps

Brian

Lynette 05-24-2004 05:11 PM

Charles Boyer wrote:
> I have two computers side by side. Both are connected to a Linksys 4
> port cable/dsl router.
>
> The router is connected to a Zyxel Charter Cable high speed router which
> accepts the signal from the cable that comes through the wall.
>
> I would like to set up file sharing between the two computers which are
> located side by side.
>
> So far I haven't been able to get it to work.
>
> I have about 100 MB of data I would like to transfer from one to the
> other. It is supposed to be easy to setup, but that has not been my
> experience so far.
>
> Can anyone post a step by step set of instructions on how to accomplish
> this task?
>

> Charlie Beebee

It really depends what operating system you are using but if it is
windows xp then just set up a small office/home network workgroup. That
allows you to file share.

Start, Control Panel, Network and Internet Connections, Set Up or Change
Your Home or Small Office Network, then follow the wizard.
Hope this helps

zxcvbob 05-24-2004 05:12 PM

Brian wrote:
> "Charles Boyer" <clb6969@charterinternet.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:MPG.1b1be016ec5b1f259896bd@news.charter.net.. .
>
>>I have two computers side by side. Both are connected to a Linksys 4
>>port cable/dsl router.
>>
>>The router is connected to a Zyxel Charter Cable high speed router which
>>accepts the signal from the cable that comes through the wall.
>>
>>I would like to set up file sharing between the two computers which are
>>located side by side.
>>
>>So far I haven't been able to get it to work.
>>
>>I have about 100 MB of data I would like to transfer from one to the
>>other. It is supposed to be easy to setup, but that has not been my
>>experience so far.
>>
>>Can anyone post a step by step set of instructions on how to accomplish
>>this task?
>>

>>Charlie Beebee

> ok first things first..
>
> 1. both computers have to be in the same work group/domain
> 2. both PCs have to have a static address i.e 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2
> 3. both PCs need to have DNS aktiviert
> 4. if u want both PCs to share the i-net the "host" needs to have the ICS
> aktiviert (i-net connection anclicken>> and give it free)
> 5. on the client the hosts IP should be written in as gateway and as dns
> server...
> in your explorer then network environment doubleclick and both PCs should
> find each other
>
> hope you have luck... but watch out your dsl router will not be as fast as
> lan(100kbps)
>
> if it needs to be quicker i would refer to a crossover cable between both
> PCs. will then have the 100kbps
>
> Brian

Why do you say they have to have static IP addresses? The Linksys
router is the DHCP server.

You may have to tell your firewall software that the other computers in
the network are "trusted"; set up 192.168.1.0 as a trusted zone because
that's the range of addresses the router will assign, and they are
non-routable addresses.

And turn off ICS (I think that's what it's called -- the built-in
firewall) in Windows XP.

-Bob

Charles Boyer 05-24-2004 06:54 PM

Re: Sharing files between two computers on the same network

In article <2heonuFc6jpeU1@uni-berlin.de>, zxcvbob@charter.net says...
> Brian wrote:
> > "Charles Boyer" <clb6969@charterinternet.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > news:MPG.1b1be016ec5b1f259896bd@news.charter.net.. .
> >
> >>I have two computers side by side. Both are connected to a Linksys 4
> >>port cable/dsl router.
> >>
> >>The router is connected to a Zyxel Charter Cable high speed router which
> >>accepts the signal from the cable that comes through the wall.
> >>
> >>I would like to set up file sharing between the two computers which are
> >>located side by side.
> >>
> >>So far I haven't been able to get it to work.
> >>
> >>I have about 100 MB of data I would like to transfer from one to the
> >>other. It is supposed to be easy to setup, but that has not been my
> >>experience so far.
> >>
> >>Can anyone post a step by step set of instructions on how to accomplish
> >>this task?
> >>

> >>Charlie Beebee

> > ok first things first..
> >
> > 1. both computers have to be in the same work group/domain
> > 2. both PCs have to have a static address i.e 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2
> > 3. both PCs need to have DNS aktiviert
> > 4. if u want both PCs to share the i-net the "host" needs to have the ICS
> > aktiviert (i-net connection anclicken>> and give it free)
> > 5. on the client the hosts IP should be written in as gateway and as dns
> > server...
> > in your explorer then network environment doubleclick and both PCs should
> > find each other
> >
> > hope you have luck... but watch out your dsl router will not be as fast as
> > lan(100kbps)
> >
> > if it needs to be quicker i would refer to a crossover cable between both
> > PCs. will then have the 100kbps
> >
> > Brian
> >

> Why do you say they have to have static IP addresses? The Linksys
> router is the DHCP server.
>
> You may have to tell your firewall software that the other computers in
> the network are "trusted"; set up 192.168.1.0 as a trusted zone because
> that's the range of addresses the router will assign, and they are
> non-routable addresses.
>
> And turn off ICS (I think that's what it's called -- the built-in
> firewall) in Windows XP.
>
> -Bob

OK, the Linksys now has the 192.168.1.0 setup as trusted. At least that
is what Zone alarm is saying about that address.

Where do I find this "ICS" thingie?

Lynette,

I got as far as Network connections. Then something called "local area
network" came up. It doesn't go any further than that. so your
instructions are missing something.

zxcvbob 05-24-2004 07:09 PM

Charles Boyer wrote:
> In article <2heonuFc6jpeU1@uni-berlin.de>, zxcvbob@charter.net says...
>
>>Brian wrote:
>>
>>>"Charles Boyer" <clb6969@charterinternet.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>>news:MPG.1b1be016ec5b1f259896bd@news.charter.ne t...

>>>ok first things first..
>>>
>>>1. both computers have to be in the same work group/domain
>>>2. both PCs have to have a static address i.e 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2
>>>3. both PCs need to have DNS aktiviert
>>>4. if u want both PCs to share the i-net the "host" needs to have the ICS
>>>aktiviert (i-net connection anclicken>> and give it free)
>>>5. on the client the hosts IP should be written in as gateway and as dns
>>>server...
>>>in your explorer then network environment doubleclick and both PCs should
>>>find each other
>>>
>>>hope you have luck... but watch out your dsl router will not be as fast as
>>>lan(100kbps)
>>>
>>>if it needs to be quicker i would refer to a crossover cable between both
>>>PCs. will then have the 100kbps
>>>
>>>Brian
>>>

>>Why do you say they have to have static IP addresses? The Linksys
>>router is the DHCP server.
>>
>>You may have to tell your firewall software that the other computers in
>>the network are "trusted"; set up 192.168.1.0 as a trusted zone because
>>that's the range of addresses the router will assign, and they are
>>non-routable addresses.
>>
>>And turn off ICS (I think that's what it's called -- the built-in
>>firewall) in Windows XP.
>>
>>-Bob
>>

> OK, the Linksys now has the 192.168.1.0 setup as trusted. At least that
> is what Zone alarm is saying about that address.
>
> Where do I find this "ICS" thingie?
>

> Lynette,
>
> I got as far as Network connections. Then something called "local area
> network" came up. It doesn't go any further than that. so your
> instructions are missing something.

I misspelled it. "ICF". Click on control panel -> Settings -> Network
Connections -> Local Area Connection. Now click [Properies], then the
Advanced tab, and uncheck the "Protect my computer..." box.

Also, you need to tell ZA that the range of addresses 192.168.1.0 thru
192.168.1.255 is trusted (I think you can do the same thing with the
subnet mask.)

Good luck, and best regards,
Bob

Romper 05-25-2004 02:24 AM

was said before :

>Brian wrote:
>> "Charles Boyer" <clb6969@charterinternet.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> news:MPG.1b1be016ec5b1f259896bd@news.charter.net.. .
>>
>>>I have two computers side by side. Both are connected to a Linksys 4
>>>port cable/dsl router.
>>>
>>>The router is connected to a Zyxel Charter Cable high speed router which
>>>accepts the signal from the cable that comes through the wall.
>>>
>>>I would like to set up file sharing between the two computers which are
>>>located side by side.
>>>
>>>So far I haven't been able to get it to work.
>>>
>>>I have about 100 MB of data I would like to transfer from one to the
>>>other. It is supposed to be easy to setup, but that has not been my
>>>experience so far.
>>>
>>>Can anyone post a step by step set of instructions on how to accomplish
>>>this task?
>>>

>>>Charlie Beebee

<SNIP><reply relates to second section>

>Why do you say they have to have static IP addresses? The Linksys
>router is the DHCP server.
>
>You may have to tell your firewall software that the other computers in
>the network are "trusted"; set up 192.168.1.0 as a trusted zone because
>that's the range of addresses the router will assign, and they are
>non-routable addresses.
>
>And turn off ICS (I think that's what it's called -- the built-in
>firewall) in Windows XP.
>
>-Bob

to hard wire for above buy a switch, connect the router to the switch
and both computers as well, now tell both computers to look for the
default gateway which is the ip address of the router, accessable by
right clicking on network neighbourhood) on the desk top) Properties,
tab to default gateway.
then in identification check they are both on the same network E>
Workgroup (or the name you wish to give your internal network. Press
apply and away you go, both should now reboot and access the internet
from either machine, also using network neighbourhood access each
other, make sure you have activated file sharing while in network
neigbourhhod or they cant share, also share a folder on each to make
sure.
Hope that helps

Romper

Outa here.... got a muppet to save