Velocity Reviews

-   -   Freeing more Virtual Memory in Compaq Presario S4000NX (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t199771-freeing-more-virtual-memory-in-compaq-presario-s4000nx.html)

Bun Mui 05-22-2004 06:09 PM

Freeing more Virtual Memory in Compaq Presario S4000NX

I have a Compaq Presario S4000NX with Xp Home Edition installed on it.

I wish to free more Virtual Memory in Compaq Presario S4000NX.
There is always very frequently a message saying it trying to increase it.
What can I do to increase the memory?

It seems that a lot of microsoft applications are running in
Services in system configuration Utility using up all the virtual
memory. When I click on some programs it sometimes don't even display.
Kind of like half invisible.

Could I get rid of some below by unchecking them?
If so which ones should I uncheck? Which are useful and which are not?

Services in system configuration Utility

1. Alerter
2. Application Layer Gateway Service
3. Application Management
4. Computer Browser
5. Symantec Event Manager
6. COM+ system application
7. Cryptographic services
8. DHCP Client
9. DNS Client
10. Error Reporting Service
11. Event Log
12. Com+ Event System
13. Fast User Switching Compatibility
14. Help and Support
15. Server
16. Workstation
17. TCP/IP NetBios Helper
18. Netmeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
19. Netowork Connections
20. Network Location Awareness
21. Plug and Play
22. IPSEC Services
23. Protected Storage
24. Remote Access Connection Manager
25. Remote Procedure Call
26. Security Accounts Manager
27. Secondary logon
28. System Event Notification
29. Shell Hardware Detection
30. Print Spooler
31. SSDP Discovery Service
32. Telephony
33. Terminal Services
34. Distributed Link Tracking Client
35. Upload Manager
36. WebClient
37. Windows Management Instrumentation
38. Wirless Zero Configuration

Thanks in advance.

Bun Mui

Trent SC 05-22-2004 06:23 PM

Re: Freeing more Virtual Memory in Compaq Presario S4000NX

Read this for a useful guide to getting more out of your virtual memory:
http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/e...s/03june16.asp

news:f400b4f6.0405221009.b6f1991@posting.google.co m...

Unk 05-22-2004 08:46 PM

On 22 May 2004 11:09:23 -0700, bunmuing@hotmail.com (Bun Mui) wrote:

>I have a Compaq Presario S4000NX with Xp Home Edition installed on it.
>
>I wish to free more Virtual Memory in Compaq Presario S4000NX.
>There is always very frequently a message saying it trying to increase it.
>What can I do to increase the memory?
>
>It seems that a lot of microsoft applications are running in
>Services in system configuration Utility using up all the virtual
>memory. When I click on some programs it sometimes don't even display.
>Kind of like half invisible.
>
>Could I get rid of some below by unchecking them?
>If so which ones should I uncheck? Which are useful and which are not?
>
>Services in system configuration Utility
>
>1. Alerter
>2. Application Layer Gateway Service
>3. Application Management
>4. Computer Browser
>5. Symantec Event Manager
>6. COM+ system application
>7. Cryptographic services
>8. DHCP Client
>9. DNS Client
>10. Error Reporting Service
>11. Event Log
>12. Com+ Event System
>13. Fast User Switching Compatibility
>14. Help and Support
>15. Server
>16. Workstation
>17. TCP/IP NetBios Helper
>18. Netmeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
>19. Netowork Connections
>20. Network Location Awareness
>21. Plug and Play
>22. IPSEC Services
>23. Protected Storage
>24. Remote Access Connection Manager
>25. Remote Procedure Call
>26. Security Accounts Manager
>27. Secondary logon
>28. System Event Notification
>29. Shell Hardware Detection
>30. Print Spooler
>31. SSDP Discovery Service
>32. Telephony
>33. Terminal Services
>34. Distributed Link Tracking Client
>35. Upload Manager
>36. WebClient
>37. Windows Management Instrumentation
>38. Wirless Zero Configuration
>

>Thanks in advance.
>

>Bun Mui

Right-click "My Computer", "Properties", "Advanced" tab. Under
Performance section, click the "Settings" button, "Advanced" tab,
under the Virtual memory section, click the "Change" button, and
check the option, "System managed size". Click the "Set" button,
click "OK", "Apply", and "OK" your way out.

Virtual Memory in Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm