Velocity Reviews

-   -   ? grub in master boot record (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t199487-grub-in-master-boot-record.html)

zxcvbob 05-18-2004 10:00 PM

? grub in master boot record

I had Linux and Windows 98 installed on my Thinkpad for a while as a
dual boot system. I decided to get rid of Linux because I couldn't get
the sound drivers to work, and I have Linux running on another old
computer anyway.

I used Partition Magic floppies to delete all the non-DOS partitions,
and to resize the remaining DOS partition to use the whole disk
(~18 GB.) All that was supposedly successful, but when I reboot, the
grub boot loader comes up with a command line. I have no idea what
commands enter to boot the DOS partition.

If I boot from a Windows 98 rescue disk, I can see everything on my C:
drive. I used FDISK to make the partition active, but that doesn't seem
to stick when I reboot. I used the SYS command and it said it
transferred the operating system, but it still boots up to "grub>"

Thanks, and best regards,
Bob

zxcvbob 05-18-2004 10:57 PM

Re: ? grub in master boot record

zxcvbob wrote:
> I had Linux and Windows 98 installed on my Thinkpad for a while as a
> dual boot system. I decided to get rid of Linux because I couldn't get
> the sound drivers to work, and I have Linux running on another old
> computer anyway.
>
> I used Partition Magic floppies to delete all the non-DOS partitions,
> and to resize the remaining DOS partition to use the whole disk
> (~18 GB.) All that was supposedly successful, but when I reboot, the
> grub boot loader comes up with a command line. I have no idea what
> commands enter to boot the DOS partition.
>
> If I boot from a Windows 98 rescue disk, I can see everything on my C:
> drive. I used FDISK to make the partition active, but that doesn't seem
> to stick when I reboot. I used the SYS command and it said it
> transferred the operating system, but it still boots up to "grub>"
>
> Thanks, and best regards,
> Bob

I found some information on the web, but it's not very helpful. I enter
the following commands:

grub> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
grub> makeactive
grub> chainloader +1
Error 22: No such partition

grub>

Looks like I might be screwed.

There is a file on my C: drive called "sysboot.sec" that is 512 bytes.
I can see it when I boot from the Win 98 boot floppy. That 512 looks
very interesting. The win98 floppy has debug on it. Is there a way to
write that 512 byte file to the master boot record using debug?

Bob

philo 05-18-2004 11:04 PM

"zxcvbob" <zxcvbob@charter.net> wrote in message
> I had Linux and Windows 98 installed on my Thinkpad for a while as a
> dual boot system. I decided to get rid of Linux because I couldn't get
> the sound drivers to work, and I have Linux running on another old
> computer anyway.
>
> I used Partition Magic floppies to delete all the non-DOS partitions,
> and to resize the remaining DOS partition to use the whole disk
> (~18 GB.) All that was supposedly successful, but when I reboot, the
> grub boot loader comes up with a command line. I have no idea what
> commands enter to boot the DOS partition.
>
> If I boot from a Windows 98 rescue disk, I can see everything on my C:
> drive. I used FDISK to make the partition active, but that doesn't seem
> to stick when I reboot. I used the SYS command and it said it
> transferred the operating system, but it still boots up to "grub>"
>
> Thanks, and best regards,
> Bob

if you bootup with your win98 floppy
you can issue the command fdisk /mbr

that should re-write your mbr and get rid of grub

zxcvbob 05-18-2004 11:11 PM

philo wrote:

> "zxcvbob" <zxcvbob@charter.net> wrote in message
>
>>I had Linux and Windows 98 installed on my Thinkpad for a while as a
>>dual boot system. I decided to get rid of Linux because I couldn't get
>>the sound drivers to work, and I have Linux running on another old
>>computer anyway.
>>
>>I used Partition Magic floppies to delete all the non-DOS partitions,
>>and to resize the remaining DOS partition to use the whole disk
>>(~18 GB.) All that was supposedly successful, but when I reboot, the
>>grub boot loader comes up with a command line. I have no idea what
>>commands enter to boot the DOS partition.
>>
>>If I boot from a Windows 98 rescue disk, I can see everything on my C:
>>drive. I used FDISK to make the partition active, but that doesn't seem
>>to stick when I reboot. I used the SYS command and it said it
>>transferred the operating system, but it still boots up to "grub>"
>>
>>Thanks, and best regards,
>>Bob

> if you bootup with your win98 floppy
> you can issue the command fdisk /mbr
>
> that should re-write your mbr and get rid of grub

Thank you. I *just* found that same info on the web and tried it and it
worked. (actually, I had to run FDISK one more time after getting a
"failed to load operating system" error to make the partition active
again because grub kept deactivating it.

I was coming back here to report what happened and saw your message.

Thanks again. I don't know why the fdisk /mbr switch isn't documented,
cuz it sure would be useful if you're trying to recover from a
bootrecord virus.

Best regards, :-)
Bob

philo 05-18-2004 11:55 PM

Re: ? grub in master boot record

> Thank you. I *just* found that same info on the web and tried it and it
> worked. (actually, I had to run FDISK one more time after getting a
> "failed to load operating system" error to make the partition active
> again because grub kept deactivating it.
>
> I was coming back here to report what happened and saw your message.
>
> Thanks again. I don't know why the fdisk /mbr switch isn't documented,
> cuz it sure would be useful if you're trying to recover from a
> bootrecord virus.
>
> Best regards, :-)
> Bob

glad you got it going

though fdisk /mbr may be undocumented...
the "secret" is now pretty well out <g>