Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Email format in word processing programs (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t198858-email-format-in-word-processing-programs.html)

Jim Beaver 05-09-2004 05:52 PM

Email format in word processing programs
 
I've been copying the texts from a number of emails into various
word-processing programs in an attempt to use more creative editing and
document management techniques.

The email texts wrap each line at around 70-75 characters. When I
copy-paste the email text into a word processor such as WordPerfect or even
Notepad, the lines wrap where they did in the email, rather than according
to the margins I have set in the word processor. The only thing my feeble
mind has come with is to manually delete all the hard returns, but I'm
dealing with hundreds of pages of emails, so this is a completely
unacceptable method. Clearly there must be a simple way to reformat the
lines after they've been pasted into the word processor, but I can't figure
it out. I mainly use WordPerfect 8.0.

Thanks.

Jim Beaver



Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. 05-09-2004 06:00 PM

Re: Email format in word processing programs
 

"Jim Beaver" <jumblejim@prodigy.spam> wrote in message
news:_dunc.2681$bI7.2400@newssvr15.news.prodigy.co m...
> I've been copying the texts from a number of emails into various
> word-processing programs in an attempt to use more creative editing and
> document management techniques.
>
> The email texts wrap each line at around 70-75 characters. When I
> copy-paste the email text into a word processor such as WordPerfect or

even
> Notepad, the lines wrap where they did in the email, rather than according
> to the margins I have set in the word processor. The only thing my feeble
> mind has come with is to manually delete all the hard returns, but I'm
> dealing with hundreds of pages of emails, so this is a completely
> unacceptable method. Clearly there must be a simple way to reformat the
> lines after they've been pasted into the word processor, but I can't

figure
> it out. I mainly use WordPerfect 8.0.
>



Try find and replace...that is, find the return and replace with a space.

--Tina
--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com - since 1997
Fully Managed, Dedicated and Colo Server Pkgs.
Cpanel hosting starting @ $5.95 a month
**New Pricing on Server Packages**



Jim Beaver 05-09-2004 06:43 PM

Re: Email format in word processing programs
 

"Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc." <tina@affordablehost.com> wrote in message
news:109ssd4ek2n1q29@corp.supernews.com...
>
> "Jim Beaver" <jumblejim@prodigy.spam> wrote in message
> news:_dunc.2681$bI7.2400@newssvr15.news.prodigy.co m...
> > I've been copying the texts from a number of emails into various
> > word-processing programs in an attempt to use more creative editing and
> > document management techniques.
> >
> > The email texts wrap each line at around 70-75 characters. When I
> > copy-paste the email text into a word processor such as WordPerfect or

> even
> > Notepad, the lines wrap where they did in the email, rather than

according
> > to the margins I have set in the word processor. The only thing my

feeble
> > mind has come with is to manually delete all the hard returns, but I'm
> > dealing with hundreds of pages of emails, so this is a completely
> > unacceptable method. Clearly there must be a simple way to reformat the
> > lines after they've been pasted into the word processor, but I can't

> figure
> > it out. I mainly use WordPerfect 8.0.
> >

>
>
> Try find and replace...that is, find the return and replace with a space.


I can't seem to put the line return into the Find-and-Replace window.

Jim Beaver



°Mike° 05-09-2004 06:46 PM

Re: Email format in word processing programs
 
UltraEdit
http://www.ultraedit.com/

1. Search/replace multiple CR/LFs [Replace ^p^p with ****]
2. Search/replace single CR/LFs [Replace ^p with Space].
3. Search/replace marker with Para. [Replace **** with ^p^p]

All searches from top of document. This will delete CR/LFs whilst
preserving paragraphs (double CR/LFs).

Note: ^P is the search symbol for a CR/LF.


On Sun, 09 May 2004 17:52:58 GMT, in
<_dunc.2681$bI7.2400@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>
Jim Beaver scrawled:

>I've been copying the texts from a number of emails into various
>word-processing programs in an attempt to use more creative editing and
>document management techniques.
>
>The email texts wrap each line at around 70-75 characters. When I
>copy-paste the email text into a word processor such as WordPerfect or even
>Notepad, the lines wrap where they did in the email, rather than according
>to the margins I have set in the word processor. The only thing my feeble
>mind has come with is to manually delete all the hard returns, but I'm
>dealing with hundreds of pages of emails, so this is a completely
>unacceptable method. Clearly there must be a simple way to reformat the
>lines after they've been pasted into the word processor, but I can't figure
>it out. I mainly use WordPerfect 8.0.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Jim Beaver
>


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

pcbutts1 05-09-2004 08:09 PM

Re: Email format in word processing programs
 
In Word you can select Edit>paste special>unformatted text. I don't know if
word perfect has that same feature.

--


The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com



"Jim Beaver" <jumblejim@prodigy.spam> wrote in message
news:_dunc.2681$bI7.2400@newssvr15.news.prodigy.co m...
> I've been copying the texts from a number of emails into various
> word-processing programs in an attempt to use more creative editing and
> document management techniques.
>
> The email texts wrap each line at around 70-75 characters. When I
> copy-paste the email text into a word processor such as WordPerfect or

even
> Notepad, the lines wrap where they did in the email, rather than according
> to the margins I have set in the word processor. The only thing my feeble
> mind has come with is to manually delete all the hard returns, but I'm
> dealing with hundreds of pages of emails, so this is a completely
> unacceptable method. Clearly there must be a simple way to reformat the
> lines after they've been pasted into the word processor, but I can't

figure
> it out. I mainly use WordPerfect 8.0.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jim Beaver
>
>




Blinky the Shark 05-09-2004 10:30 PM

Re: Email format in word processing programs
 
Jim Beaver wrote:

> "Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc." <tina@affordablehost.com> wrote in
> message news:109ssd4ek2n1q29@corp.supernews.com...


>> "Jim Beaver" <jumblejim@prodigy.spam> wrote in message
>> news:_dunc.2681$bI7.2400@newssvr15.news.prodigy.co m...
>> > I've been copying the texts from a number of emails into various
>> > word-processing programs in an attempt to use more creative editing
>> > and document management techniques.


>> > The email texts wrap each line at around 70-75 characters. When I
>> > copy-paste the email text into a word processor such as WordPerfect
>> > or

>> even
>> > Notepad, the lines wrap where they did in the email, rather than

> according
>> > to the margins I have set in the word processor. The only thing my

> feeble
>> > mind has come with is to manually delete all the hard returns, but
>> > I'm dealing with hundreds of pages of emails, so this is a
>> > completely unacceptable method. Clearly there must be a simple way
>> > to reformat the lines after they've been pasted into the word
>> > processor, but I can't

>> figure
>> > it out. I mainly use WordPerfect 8.0.


>> Try find and replace...that is, find the return and replace with a
>> space.


> I can't seem to put the line return into the Find-and-Replace window.


Haven't used WP since about 1990, but with other word processors,
there's usually a special code for formatting like that -- ^P (caret,
upper-case-P) rings a bell from somewhere, but that's not to say it's a
cross-processor standard. When you're in S&R, maybe an F1 or "Help"
button might be context sensitive enough to discuss this kind of thing
(if WP has those two features).

Or look into "email stripper" programs, that reformat for you and even
take out the greater-than quote indicators.

eCleaner is what I think I used to use: Goggle it. And Google "email
stripper" (as a phrase), too.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 4892F
AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary
Nigerian Scam From Space http://snipurl.com/iss419
New Windows - Don't Wait For Longhorn! http://snipurl.com/newwin

Jim Beaver 05-10-2004 12:27 AM

Re: Email format in word processing programs
 

"°Mike°" <qp_mike_qp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:40a479ed.16313484@localhost.dot.net...
> UltraEdit
> http://www.ultraedit.com/
>
> 1. Search/replace multiple CR/LFs [Replace ^p^p with ****]
> 2. Search/replace single CR/LFs [Replace ^p with Space].
> 3. Search/replace marker with Para. [Replace **** with ^p^p]
>
> All searches from top of document. This will delete CR/LFs whilst
> preserving paragraphs (double CR/LFs).
>
> Note: ^P is the search symbol for a CR/LF.


Thanks to the insights gained from your answers, I found how to do from
within WordPerfect's structure: Edit>Find and Replace>Match>Codes. Choose
(in this case) LnBrk and insert it in the find window. Put <nothing> in the
replace with window.

Thanks folks.

Jim Beaver



°Mike° 05-10-2004 12:29 AM

Re: Email format in word processing programs
 
On Mon, 10 May 2004 00:27:12 GMT, in
<A%znc.771$DV2.540@newssvr32.news.prodigy.com>
Jim Beaver scrawled:

>
>"°Mike°" <qp_mike_qp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:40a479ed.16313484@localhost.dot.net...
>> UltraEdit
>> http://www.ultraedit.com/
>>
>> 1. Search/replace multiple CR/LFs [Replace ^p^p with ****]
>> 2. Search/replace single CR/LFs [Replace ^p with Space].
>> 3. Search/replace marker with Para. [Replace **** with ^p^p]
>>
>> All searches from top of document. This will delete CR/LFs whilst
>> preserving paragraphs (double CR/LFs).
>>
>> Note: ^P is the search symbol for a CR/LF.

>
>Thanks to the insights gained from your answers, I found how to do from
>within WordPerfect's structure: Edit>Find and Replace>Match>Codes. Choose
>(in this case) LnBrk and insert it in the find window. Put <nothing> in the
>replace with window.
>
>Thanks folks.
>
>Jim Beaver


You're welcome.

--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.