Velocity Reviews

-   -   Broadband and FTP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t198786-broadband-and-ftp.html)

Tigeressly 05-08-2004 02:22 PM

Broadband and FTP

I have recently had broadband installed, and prior to that I used dial up
software and never had problems with FTP tools either stand alone or the
built in one in Dreamweaver.

I am now unable to use the FTP tools in either if I use the broadband
connection so I contacted NTL techincal support. The guy who I spoke to
told me to ftp via my browser, which I am not accustomed to doing and still
don't really have clue!

With WS_FTP PRO it tries to connect but I then get "Connection closed by
remote host", in Dreamweaver it comes up with an FTP error. Both programs
still work fine with dial up, so I am becoming increasing frustrated in not
being able to FTP to my NTL site.

Any advice would be much appreciated in this matter.

Regards

Tigeressly

treehugger 05-08-2004 03:20 PM

Re: Broadband and FTP

"Tigeressly" <tigeressly@scaredycats.net> wrote in message news:O26nc.6550$7S2.6534@newsfe1-win...
> I have recently had broadband installed, and prior to that I used dial up
> software and never had problems with FTP tools either stand alone or the
> built in one in Dreamweaver.
>
> I am now unable to use the FTP tools in either if I use the broadband
> connection so I contacted NTL techincal support. The guy who I spoke to
> told me to ftp via my browser, which I am not accustomed to doing and still
> don't really have clue!
>
> With WS_FTP PRO it tries to connect but I then get "Connection closed by
> remote host", in Dreamweaver it comes up with an FTP error. Both programs
> still work fine with dial up, so I am becoming increasing frustrated in not
> being able to FTP to my NTL site.
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated in this matter.
>
> Regards
>
> Tigeressly

Are you running a firewall? I was told to uninstall Zone Alarm. It wasn't enough to just turn it off, I needed to uninstall it completely. I now just use the XP built in firewall which is fine.

treehugger

-= Hawk =- 05-08-2004 04:16 PM

Re: Broadband and FTP

On Sat, 8 May 2004 16:20:13 +0100, "treehugger"
<effoffspammer@foad.co.uk> scribbled:

>"Tigeressly" <tigeressly@scaredycats.net> wrote in message news:O26nc.6550$7S2.6534@newsfe1-win...
>> I have recently had broadband installed, and prior to that I used dial up
>> software and never had problems with FTP tools either stand alone or the
>> built in one in Dreamweaver.
>>
>> I am now unable to use the FTP tools in either if I use the broadband
>> connection so I contacted NTL techincal support. The guy who I spoke to
>> told me to ftp via my browser, which I am not accustomed to doing and still
>> don't really have clue!
>>
>> With WS_FTP PRO it tries to connect but I then get "Connection closed by
>> remote host", in Dreamweaver it comes up with an FTP error. Both programs
>> still work fine with dial up, so I am becoming increasing frustrated in not
>> being able to FTP to my NTL site.
>>
>> Any advice would be much appreciated in this matter.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Tigeressly
>>

>Are you running a firewall? I was told to uninstall Zone Alarm. It wasn't enough to just turn it off, I needed to uninstall it completely. I now just use the XP built in firewall which is fine.

What imbecile told you that?

Riddles II, v3
- T. Pratchett

anon 05-08-2004 04:29 PM

Re: Broadband and FTP

Have you checked settings in Internet Options, regarding connections etc
Or maybe a setting in WS_Ftp pro
I dont have any prob using ftp/Dreamweaver in NTL broadband. I dont use
WinXP firewall but a specific app.
The first time I used ftp I believe I had a warning from my Firewall, I then
permitted this connection.
It maybe that you need to configure yr firewall to allow the connection., as
I said I dont use xp firewall, but its a simple task in either the Norton or
Zonealarm firewall.

Tigeressly 05-08-2004 05:11 PM

Re: Broadband and FTP

Thanks to you all for your help.

I disabled xp firewall, but not my Norton IS and was able to upload with
WS_FTP Pro. Still cannot upload from Dreamweaver which is a bit
disappointing, just makes life a bit easier, but am relieved that I can
finally upload.

So much to NTL so call techincal support, I don't think I will waste my
money phoning for their "so called" help again.

;-)

Fred Kasner 05-08-2004 11:03 PM

Re: Broadband and FTP

treehugger <effoffspammer@foad.co.uk> wrote:

> "Tigeressly" <tigeressly@scaredycats.net> wrote in message news:O26nc.6550$7S2.6534@newsfe1-win...
>> I have recently had broadband installed, and prior to that I used dial up
>> software and never had problems with FTP tools either stand alone or the
>> built in one in Dreamweaver.
>>
>> I am now unable to use the FTP tools in either if I use the broadband
>> connection so I contacted NTL techincal support. The guy who I spoke to
>> told me to ftp via my browser, which I am not accustomed to doing and still
>> don't really have clue!
>>
>> With WS_FTP PRO it tries to connect but I then get "Connection closed by
>> remote host", in Dreamweaver it comes up with an FTP error. Both programs
>> still work fine with dial up, so I am becoming increasing frustrated in not
>> being able to FTP to my NTL site.
>>
>> Any advice would be much appreciated in this matter.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Tigeressly
>>

> Are you running a firewall? I was told to uninstall Zone Alarm. It wasn't enough to just turn it off, I needed to uninstall it completely. I now just use the XP built in firewall which is fine.

> treehugger

That's what you think! But you are wrong. XP is a one way firewall. It does NOT protect you in
both incoming and outgoing transmissions. You are living in a fool's paradise.
FK

--
fkasner@sdf.lonestar.org

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?= 05-14-2004 11:37 AM

Re: Broadband and FTP

-= Hawk =- wrote:

> On Sat, 8 May 2004 16:20:13 +0100, "treehugger"
> <effoffspammer@foad.co.uk> scribbled:
>

>>"Tigeressly" <tigeressly@scaredycats.net> wrote in message news:O26nc.6550$7S2.6534@newsfe1-win...
>>
>>>I have recently had broadband installed, and prior to that I used dial up
>>>software and never had problems with FTP tools either stand alone or the
>>>built in one in Dreamweaver.
>>>
>>>I am now unable to use the FTP tools in either if I use the broadband
>>>connection so I contacted NTL techincal support. The guy who I spoke to
>>>told me to ftp via my browser, which I am not accustomed to doing and still
>>>don't really have clue!
>>>
>>>With WS_FTP PRO it tries to connect but I then get "Connection closed by
>>>remote host", in Dreamweaver it comes up with an FTP error. Both programs
>>>still work fine with dial up, so I am becoming increasing frustrated in not
>>>being able to FTP to my NTL site.
>>>
>>>Any advice would be much appreciated in this matter.
>>>
>>>Regards
>>>
>>>Tigeressly
>>>

>>Are you running a firewall? I was told to uninstall Zone Alarm. It wasn't enough to just turn it off, I needed to uninstall it completely. I now just use the XP built in firewall which is fine.

> What imbecile told you that?

Sounds like a Bullisism.