Velocity Reviews

-   -   AVG not detecting viruses (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t198678-avg-not-detecting-viruses.html)

Ron Martell 05-07-2004 03:51 AM

AVG not detecting viruses

It appears that AVG antivirus - both the free version 6 and the
purchased version 7 - is failing to detect the W32.Gaobot virus, of
which there are a number of variants.

This failure has been confirmed by a number of users who have known
copies of the virus (detected by Norton, McAfee, eTrust and Kaspersky)
that AVG reports as not being infected.

Apparently Avast, another free antivirus, is also missing this one.
Also McAfee Stinger does not list Gaobot among the 41 viruses that it
detected. However the full McAfee antivirus does find it.

The problem has been reported to Grisoft, along with samples of
infected files.

Gaobot exploits the same vulnerability as Sasser and is quite recent.
Anyone who had a Sasser infected machine should also check for Gaobot
with an antivirus scanner other than AVG.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

@}-}-------Rosee 05-07-2004 03:54 AM

Re: AVG not detecting viruses

Thanks Ron....

Ron Martell <ron@onlinehelp.bc.ca> chiseled in stone, the following words

@}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm

Boomer 05-07-2004 04:08 AM

Re: AVG not detecting viruses

Ron Martell <ron@onlinehelp.bc.ca> did say:

> It appears that AVG antivirus - both the free version 6 and the
> purchased version 7 - is failing to detect the W32.Gaobot virus,
> of which there are a number of variants.
>
> This failure has been confirmed by a number of users who have
> known copies of the virus (detected by Norton, McAfee, eTrust and
> Kaspersky) that AVG reports as not being infected.
>
> Apparently Avast, another free antivirus, is also missing this
> one. Also McAfee Stinger does not list Gaobot among the 41 viruses
> that it detected. However the full McAfee antivirus does find it.
>
> The problem has been reported to Grisoft, along with samples of
> infected files.
>
> Gaobot exploits the same vulnerability as Sasser and is quite
> recent. Anyone who had a Sasser infected machine should also check
> for Gaobot with an antivirus scanner other than AVG.
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Thank you, Ron.

Agnes L. 05-07-2004 04:09 AM

Re: AVG not detecting viruses

Thanks for the heads-up! I'm running both Avg & Avast...
Aggie

°Mike° 05-07-2004 08:25 AM

Re: AVG not detecting viruses

On Fri, 07 May 2004 03:51:21 GMT, in
<fh1m90ln82afe7pe1209rk43j0mnnjk0sc@4ax.com>
Ron Martell scrawled:

>It appears that AVG antivirus - both the free version 6 and the
>purchased version 7 - is failing to detect the W32.Gaobot virus, of
>which there are a number of variants.
>
>This failure has been confirmed by a number of users who have known
>copies of the virus (detected by Norton, McAfee, eTrust and Kaspersky)
>that AVG reports as not being infected.
>
>Apparently Avast, another free antivirus, is also missing this one.
>Also McAfee Stinger does not list Gaobot among the 41 viruses that it
>detected. However the full McAfee antivirus does find it.
>
>The problem has been reported to Grisoft, along with samples of
>infected files.
>
>Gaobot exploits the same vulnerability as Sasser and is quite recent.
>Anyone who had a Sasser infected machine should also check for Gaobot
>with an antivirus scanner other than AVG.
>

>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

This is *exactly* what I have been warning people about AVG
for a long time.

As I have said on many occasions, the *only* good thing
about AVG is the price -- it is NOT a safe antivirus solution.

--
Basic computer maintenance

slumpy 05-07-2004 01:39 PM

Re: AVG not detecting viruses

....and seconds before the explosion, Agnes L. emerged from the bunker
carrying the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see, crying:

> Thanks for the heads-up! I'm running both Avg & Avast...
> Aggie

No point, all you'll do is screw them both.
--
slumpy
no more

Jacques Clouseau 05-07-2004 02:53 PM

Re: AVG not detecting viruses

In article <409f4515.42684703@localhost.dot.net>, qp_mike_qp@yahoo.com
says...

> This is *exactly* what I have been warning people about AVG
> for a long time.
>
> As I have said on many occasions, the *only* good thing
> about AVG is the price -- it is NOT a safe antivirus solution.

I have a small computer business, and I've been using AVG on both my own
machines and my customers' machines for a couple of years (along with,
at times, other antivirus products, mostly for comparison purposes). I
have had absolutely no problems with it, and it has worked extremely
well. I have never had a case where AVG missed something that a
different antivirus program caught. Further, in my experience, AVG is
more stable than most, and also uses fewer system resources. I can't
recommend it highly enough.

I have no connection to AVG -- just a grateful user.

mhicaoidh 05-07-2004 02:55 PM

Re: AVG not detecting viruses

Taking a moment's reflection, °Mike° mused:

| This is *exactly* what I have been warning people about AVG
| for a long time.
|
| As I have said on many occasions, the *only* good thing
| about AVG is the price -- it is NOT a safe antivirus solution.

Pretty good response time, though. Update this morning, and they appear
to have added detection. Looks like they chose the alias Agobot (like
Kaspersky):

http://www.grisoft.cz/virbase/virbas...ng=us&type=web

or

http://tinyurl.com/2azsj

°Mike° 05-07-2004 03:28 PM

Re: AVG not detecting viruses

On Fri, 7 May 2004 10:53:31 -0400, in
<MPG.1b056cf427abf3b9989691@news.individual.net>
Jacques Clouseau scrawled:

>In article <409f4515.42684703@localhost.dot.net>, qp_mike_qp@yahoo.com
>says...
>

>> This is *exactly* what I have been warning people about AVG
>> for a long time.
>>
>> As I have said on many occasions, the *only* good thing
>> about AVG is the price -- it is NOT a safe antivirus solution.
>>

>I have a small computer business, and I've been using AVG on both my own
>machines and my customers' machines for a couple of years (along with,
>at times, other antivirus products, mostly for comparison purposes). I
>have had absolutely no problems with it, and it has worked extremely
>well. I have never had a case where AVG missed something that a
>different antivirus program caught. Further, in my experience, AVG is
>more stable than most, and also uses fewer system resources. I can't
>recommend it highly enough.
>
>I have no connection to AVG -- just a grateful user.

You obviously don't have a very wide virus database to
test the thing on. Also, I never mentioned anything about
it not being stable, and it certainly does NOT use less
system resources than eZ Antivirus.

You should make sure that your security is rock solid,
if you are relying totally on AVG, sorry.

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike° 05-07-2004 03:28 PM

Re: AVG not detecting viruses

On Fri, 07 May 2004 14:55:04 GMT, in
<crNmc.37570$IG1.2081216@attbi_s04>
mhicaoidh scrawled:

>Taking a moment's reflection, °Mike° mused:
>|
>| This is *exactly* what I have been warning people about AVG
>| for a long time.
>|
>| As I have said on many occasions, the *only* good thing
>| about AVG is the price -- it is NOT a safe antivirus solution.
>
> Pretty good response time, though. Update this morning, and they appear
>to have added detection. Looks like they chose the alias Agobot (like
>Kaspersky):
>
>http://www.grisoft.cz/virbase/virbas...ng=us&type=web
>
>or
>
>http://tinyurl.com/2azsj

It's a CRAP response time -- it's already too damn late!
Agobot/Agaobot have been around for a long time.

I don't have AVG installed at the moment, but I'll bet
that it doesn't detect all of the SDBot variants, either.
It didn't while I was testing it; hell, even eZ doesn't!

--
Basic computer maintenance