Velocity Reviews

-   -   disk i/o error replace the disk and press any key (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t198434-disk-i-o-error-replace-the-disk-and-press-any-key.html)

Bryan Henderson 05-03-2004 10:51 PM

disk i/o error replace the disk and press any key

Does anyone know what this error message means? I have tried a Google search
but Google isn't working properly for me tonight. TIA.

░Mike░ 05-03-2004 11:09 PM

Re: disk i/o error replace the disk and press any key

That's not surprising. Now try posting again, only
this time post the question in the body, and post
the EXACT error message, what your computer
is doing at the time of the error, and some details
about your operating system/hardware.

On Mon, 3 May 2004 23:51:04 +0100, in
<c76ic9$c0r1$1@ID-184144.news.uni-berlin.de>
Bryan Henderson scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Bryan Henderson 05-04-2004 04:03 PM

"░Mike░" <qp_mike_qp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> That's not surprising. Now try posting again, only
> this time post the question in the body, and post
> the EXACT error message, what your computer
> is doing at the time of the error, and some details
> about your operating system/hardware.

What isn't surprising? I wasn't using that PC to access Google but my
laptop. I found that for the first time many pages were not found when the
links were clicked on.

Anyway I posted this message very late at night and didn't have time to do a
full write up. My PC had started acting strangely and was locking up very
easily when only a few programs/windows were open. On the restart it always
wanted to run Scandisk twice and the full scandisk in March took me over 30
hours with no bad sectors reported. however last night it reported at least
11 before it decided to have a break (and presumably a kit-kat :-) ) It did
advise me to run scandisk again.

Whenever I could get into windows it was acting oddly but finally I couldn't
seem to get into windows and was getting the error message "disk i/o error
replace the disk and press any key" so I disconnected the drive and
connected an old 2 Gb Maxtor that I hadn't used for a while. I formatted
this and then installed windows on it and for some reason decided to run
scandisk on it as I seem to remember it had bad sectors on it once. Before
scandisk had finished this disk started to play up and froze. When I
rebooted I got the exact same error message as before and in DOS I could see
that all the data had been lost on this disk.

My system is
AMD 1600 XP with
Gigabyte GA 7VA mobo
512 DDR RAM
Jetway NVidia GeForce FX 5200 graphics card
Soundblaster live 5.1
Network card
Modem
DVD RW
DVD

Today I acquired a new Western Digital 120 Gb harddisk to replace the
Samsung 120 Gb one. The Samsung seems ok as a slave and I have copied files
from it prior to sending it back.

From Google I got the impression that it might not be the HD that was faulty
however as it is only six months old the shop is happy to swap it under
warranty. I still like to try and understand what really went wrong for
future reference. Ever since I loaded Norton Internet Security in January
the PC hasn't shut down properly and I always had to pull the plug on it so
to speak. It then always wanted to run scandisk on startup (often twice), so
on Saturday I removed NIS and the PC then would shut down ok. I have never
had a problem with NAV BTW.

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?= 05-04-2004 04:27 PM

Bryan Henderson wrote:

>>On Mon, 3 May 2004 23:51:04 +0100, in
>> <c76ic9$c0r1$1@ID-184144.news.uni-berlin.de>
>> Bryan Henderson scrawled:
>>

>>>Does anyone know what this error message means? I have
>>>tried a Google search but Google isn't working properly for
>>>me tonight. TIA.
>>>

> "┬░Mike┬░" <qp_mike_qp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>That's not surprising. Now try posting again, only
>>this time post the question in the body, and post
>>the EXACT error message, what your computer
>>is doing at the time of the error, and some details
>>about your operating system/hardware.
>>

> What isn't surprising? I wasn't using that PC to access Google but my
> laptop. I found that for the first time many pages were not found when the
> links were clicked on.

Mike was having a dig at your computing ability. I fear that
is nothing to the dig he is going to have at mine - I
plonked him in error thinking he was an evil clone :).

> Anyway I posted this message very late at night

That is going to be my excuse too.. :)

> and didn't have time to do a
> full write up. My PC had started acting strangely and was locking up very
> easily when only a few programs/windows were open. On the restart it always
> wanted to run Scandisk twice and the full scandisk in March took me over 30
> hours with no bad sectors reported. however last night it reported at least
> 11 before it decided to have a break (and presumably a kit-kat :-) ) Itdid
> advise me to run scandisk again.

Scandisk taking a long time is not unusual.

> Whenever I could get into windows it was acting oddly but finally I couldn't
> seem to get into windows and was getting the error message "disk i/o error
> replace the disk and press any key" so I disconnected the drive and
> connected an old 2 Gb Maxtor that I hadn't used for a while. I formatted
> this and then installed windows on it and for some reason decided to run
> scandisk on it as I seem to remember it had bad sectors on it once. Before
> scandisk had finished this disk started to play up and froze. When I
> rebooted I got the exact same error message as before and in DOS I could see
> that all the data had been lost on this disk.
>
> My system is
> AMD 1600 XP with
> Gigabyte GA 7VA mobo
> 512 DDR RAM
> Jetway NVidia GeForce FX 5200 graphics card
> Soundblaster live 5.1
> Network card
> Modem
> DVD RW
> DVD
>
> Today I acquired a new Western Digital 120 Gb harddisk to replace the
> Samsung 120 Gb one. The Samsung seems ok as a slave and I have copied files
> from it prior to sending it back.
>
> From Google I got the impression that it might not be the HD that was faulty
> however as it is only six months old the shop is happy to swap it under
> warranty.

That is good of them. I am surprised that they didn't say
you would have to send it back under warrranty.

I still like to try and understand what really went wrong for
> future reference. Ever since I loaded Norton Internet Security in January
> the PC hasn't shut down properly and I always had to pull the plug on it so
> to speak. It then always wanted to run scandisk on startup (often twice), so
> on Saturday I removed NIS and the PC then would shut down ok. I have never
> had a problem with NAV BTW.

I hope that the "not shutting down properly" is an unrelated
problem, as you do say you were getting this on a fresh
install of Windows. I hope that your main problem is as
simple as overheating the drive(s) or having a flaky power
supply (you do have two hard drives and two optical drives,
the power soon adds up) or a faulty IDE cable.

░Mike░ 05-04-2004 07:05 PM

Re: disk i/o error replace the disk and press any key

On Tue, 4 May 2004 17:03:43 +0100, in
<c78evg$vcd1$2@ID-184144.news.uni-berlin.de>
Bryan Henderson scrawled:

>> On Mon, 3 May 2004 23:51:04 +0100, in
>> <c76ic9$c0r1$1@ID-184144.news.uni-berlin.de>
>> Bryan Henderson scrawled:
>>
>> >Does anyone know what this error message means? I have
>> >tried a Google search but Google isn't working properly for
>> >me tonight. TIA.
>> >

>"░Mike░" <qp_mike_qp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> That's not surprising. Now try posting again, only
>> this time post the question in the body, and post
>> the EXACT error message, what your computer
>> is doing at the time of the error, and some details
>> about your operating system/hardware.
>>

>What isn't surprising?

"I have tried a Google search but Google isn't working properly
for me tonight."

Since you couldn't word your question in a human-understandable
way, it's not surprising that you had no luck on Google.

<snip>

>From Google I got the impression that it might not be the HD that was faulty
>however as it is only six months old the shop is happy to swap it under
>warranty. I still like to try and understand what really went wrong for
>future reference.

If you still have the drive, run the maker's diagnostics
utility on it.
http://www.samsungelectronics.com/hd...ies_index.html

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

░Mike░ 05-04-2004 07:05 PM

Re: disk i/o error replace the disk and press any key

Don't ever presume to speak for me. I was doing no
such thing.

On Tue, 04 May 2004 17:27:43 +0100, in
<c78g90$utat$1@ID-184954.news.uni-berlin.de>
Palindr?me scrawled: