Velocity Reviews

-   -   Wireless LAN works great one direction, but not the other (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t198353-wireless-lan-works-great-one-direction-but-not-the-other.html)

Thomas J. 05-03-2004 12:54 AM

Wireless LAN works great one direction, but not the other

Hi all,

Have my desktop and laptop connected via a USR wireless router and card.
Have ran XP home network setup on both computers. Have used the same network
name and flagged folders on both machines for sharing. I can access the
laptop files via the desktop and they download / execute very fast, but I'm
having problems accessing the desktop files from the laptop. I can usually
see the desktop files and folders via the laptop if there isn't many files
in them, but they never download or execute. Seems like transfers from the
desktop to laptop are moving very slow and "hang", but transfers from the
laptop to desktop work great.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
TR

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 05-03-2004 01:04 AM

Re: Wireless LAN works great one direction, but not the other

Thomas J. wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Have my desktop and laptop connected via a USR wireless router and card.
> Have ran XP home network setup on both computers. Have used the same network
> name and flagged folders on both machines for sharing. I can access the
> laptop files via the desktop and they download / execute very fast, but I'm
> having problems accessing the desktop files from the laptop. I can usually
> see the desktop files and folders via the laptop if there isn't many files
> in them, but they never download or execute. Seems like transfers from the
> desktop to laptop are moving very slow and "hang", but transfers from the
> laptop to desktop work great.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> TR

Any idea what the signal strength is between the two machines?
Do you keep up with antivirus and antispyware on both?
Laptops are slower by nature, take that into consideration.

Overall, sounds like spotty wireless connection. Not sure why the laptop
receives slower than the desktop though.

Thomas J. 05-03-2004 02:23 AM

Re: Wireless LAN works great one direction, but not the other

Laptop is about 6 feet away from the router with network properties
reporting an excellent signal. Never ran antispyware on the laptop... never
experienced problems with stuff like that. Antivirus definitions are not the
newest, but not that old. The laptop doesn't even transfer or open the
smallest files from the desktop.

I previously had a Microsoft "b" wireless router and card running on both
machines and never had problems transferring both ways. I uninstalled the
Microsoft networking software and hooked up my new USR "g" router and card
last week and the transfer problem started.

Both the desktop and laptop access the internet perfectly. Just can't get
transfers working from the desktop to laptop for some reason.

Thanks,
TR

Toolman Tim 05-03-2004 02:52 AM

Re: Wireless LAN works great one direction, but not the other

Just a shot in the dark...have you looked at the WEP encryption settings?