Velocity Reviews

-   -   Blue Screen Of Death (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t198170-blue-screen-of-death.html)

Reid Decker 04-30-2004 05:27 PM

Blue Screen Of Death

Hello: Can any one of the experts out there take the time to tell me how to
remove the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH from machine I bought at a yard sale? I
haven't plugged it up yet so don't know the OS. It's an HP Pavilion. TIA

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?-Cryogenic-=A9?= 04-30-2004 05:31 PM

Re: Blue Screen Of Death

Reid Decker wrote:
> Hello: Can any one of the experts out there take the time to tell me how to
> remove the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH from machine I bought at a yard sale? I
> haven't plugged it up yet so don't know the OS. It's an HP Pavilion. TIA

If you haven't "plugged it up", how do you know it gets a BSOD?

--
I'm not a racist - I hate everybody EQUALLY!

Phil® 04-30-2004 05:51 PM

Re: Blue Screen Of Death

Want to know the future?

Ask the all-knowing crystal ball!

INSTRUCTIONS: It's easy.
Just type a question in the box below
and click "Ask!"......

Dear Crystal Ball.....
Can you tell me how to remove the BSOD....
"Ask"

Hello! Hello! Hello!.......

"Reid Decker" <reidal1@bellsouth.net> Pleaded:

philo 04-30-2004 06:04 PM

Re: Blue Screen Of Death

"Reid Decker" <reidal1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:YXvkc.60841$Uz1.1075@bignews3.bellsouth.net.. .
> Hello: Can any one of the experts out there take the time to tell me how

> remove the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH from machine I bought at a yard sale? I
> haven't plugged it up yet so don't know the OS. It's an HP Pavilion.

TIA

first off...if the machine gets the BSOD, you can be sure that the OS
is windows.

secondly...just because the previous owner told you it got the BSOD...how do
you know without even trying it...maybe it will boot normally...
in which case...you should try to get a refund

and thirdly...
to avoid the Blues screen of death...you'll never get one if you use a
monochrome monitor!

°Mike° 04-30-2004 07:59 PM

Re: Blue Screen Of Death

This is from somebody who gives advice? Sheesh!

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:27:22 -0400, in
<YXvkc.60841$Uz1.1075@bignews3.bellsouth.net>
Reid Decker scrawled:

>Hello: Can any one of the experts out there take the time to tell me how to
>remove the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH from machine I bought at a yard sale? I
>haven't plugged it up yet so don't know the OS. It's an HP Pavilion. TIA

--
Basic computer maintenance

boon 04-30-2004 09:37 PM

Re: Blue Screen Of Death

"Reid Decker" <reidal1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:YXvkc.60841$Uz1.1075@bignews3.bellsouth.net.. .

> Hello: Can any one of the experts out there take the time to tell me how

> remove the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH from machine I bought at a yard sale? I
> haven't plugged it up yet so don't know the OS.

Just dont plug it in. That will keep the BSOD away.

Alexander Rogge 04-30-2004 10:17 PM

Re: Blue Screen Of Death

> Can any one of the experts out there take the time to tell me how to
> remove the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH from machine I bought at a yard sale? I
> haven't plugged it up yet so don't know the OS. It's an HP Pavilion.

Turn on the PC, press <F1> to access the BIOS, configure the boot
options to boot the PC from a CD-ROM before the hard disk, insert a
Linux installation disc into the appropriate drive, save the changes and
exit the BIOS. When the PC reboots, the Linux installation should start
automatically; then follow the on-screen instructions to install and
configure the operating system.

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-info/index-en.html
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/
http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/index.html

Blinky the Shark 05-01-2004 07:40 AM

Re: Blue Screen Of Death

-Cryogenic-© wrote:

> Reid Decker wrote:

>> Hello: Can any one of the experts out there take the time to tell me
>> how to remove the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH from machine I bought at a
>> yard sale? I haven't plugged it up yet so don't know the OS. It's
>> an HP Pavilion. TIA

> If you haven't "plugged it up", how do you know it gets a BSOD?

He's probably seeing a BSODSim. These are various sized mylar screen
overlays that will adhere to your screen via a bit of static electricity,
and which simulate a BSOD. I use one, myself, for 1024x768. Once in a
while when I have my monitor turned off, I apply it, just for old times'
sake, when I'm feeling nostalgic about Windows.

You can get them here: http://blinkynet.net/bsod_sims.html

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 4892F
AOL Diary: (New 4/22) http://snipurl.com/aoldiary