Velocity Reviews

-   -   Router to modem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t198011-router-to-modem.html)

Bulld0g 04-28-2004 02:53 PM

Router to modem

I have just had Blueyonder cable broadband installed.I have a D-link
604+adsl modem router,which i want to connect to the motorola surfboard
cable modem to set up a wireless network to my laptop.I have been in touch
with Dlink tech support.He said it was possible to use the router in the
cable modem and wireless network just one computer from it.
He said to connect to the web based manager and make some changes in
there.But i can't access the web page 192,168.0.1 I have connected the
router from port1 to the ethernet port in the cable modem but cannot access
the web manager.I was on hold for 25 minuted to support before finally
getting through. So if anyone here can help me i would be most grateful.

Isaac 04-28-2004 02:57 PM

Re: Router to modem

Maybe you have to change the ipaddress of your own system.
Try 192,168.0.2 with subnetmask 255.255.255.0

Isaac

Bulld0g 04-28-2004 03:33 PM

Re: Router to modem

"Isaac" <-> wrote in message news:108vhiios0fa8d5@corp.supernews.com...

> Maybe you have to change the ipaddress of your own system.
> Try 192,168.0.2 with subnetmask 255.255.255.0

No can't connect

Mike L 04-28-2004 04:57 PM

Re: Router to modem

What is your current ip address ? Can u ping 192.168.0.1 ? What does your
manual (dlink) say the default ip address is ? IS your computer setup to
obtain an ip address automatically ? If so release your ip address ..turn of
your computer unplug the cable modem and the router turn the cable modem
back on wait till the cable light is solid turn the router on then the pc
then try again...

Bulld0g 04-28-2004 07:49 PM

Re: Router to modem

> What's the model number / part code rather than the name only?

Wireless Adsl Router dsl 604+ It is an adsl modem with a built in
router,which acording to support can be connected to a cable modem and used
only as a router.

why? 04-29-2004 05:59 PM

Re: Router to modem

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:49:46 +0100, Bulld0g wrote:

>> What's the model number / part code rather than the name only?
>>

>Wireless Adsl Router dsl 604+ It is an adsl modem with a built in

http://www.dlink.co.uk/pages/products/dsl604plus.asp

Don't have one of those.

>router,which acording to support can be connected to a cable modem and used
>only as a router.

That was the DLink support? BY don't tend to offer networking advice as
it's not supported. This type of combination may work for other ISPs.

On the 604+ you bought, the incoming 'from the ISP' connection is ADSL
telephone style connection. BY don't use that.

Think of the setup like this -
ISP connection is usually called the WAN port.
Your PCs are the 1 to 4 LAN ports.
You need to have a WAN port that is compatiable with your ISP
connection.

BY is cable broadband using Ethernet/USB. Going by your 1st post you
want to connect the BY cable modem to the 604+ then go wireless.

What you *can't do* is plug the CM into one of the 4 10/100 LAN ports.
The same applies to similar question asked by BY'ers using switches
(which is what you appear to be doing)/ hubs for the same thing for many
years. USB may be different my CM is an old style 3100 Ethernet only.

The way BY works, the CM needs to see a single device be it a NIC / WAN
port on a router like Di-604
http://www.dlink.co.uk/pages/products/di604.asp.

Without considering the BY connection, what you could do is more as
'support' described....

PC ----- wired to --[604+] - - - - Wireless

It would then act as a router between the 2 systems. If you wanted BY
added to this , something more is required like

As above, but PC has 2 NICs,

PC ----- NIC1 ---- wired to 604+
PC ----- NIC2 -----connected to CM.

The PC runs some connection sharing software, so in effect it's a router
which defeats the purpose of the exercise. If you had a Wireless Access
point on NIC1 above instead of the router you would have your wireless.

This setup also works, the RT314 Broadband 4 port router. It's an old
model but others work the same.

CM (Ethernet) --- [Ethernet WAN port - RT314]
RT314 --- wired PC port1
RT314 --- Wireless Access Point port 2
Wireless PC

On the above all PCs are on the same network.

Or even this mad setup with 2 routers works,

CM (Ethernet) --- [Ethernet WAN port - RT314]
RT314 --- port1 -- wired PC.
RT314 --- port2 -- Ethernet uplink to [Ethernet WAN port - Wireless
Router]
Wireless PC

In this case there are 2 networks RT314 settings and the wireless
router. BY is visible from both networks.

Did you confirm / check in the BY newsgroup this model does work?
blueyonder.users.self-help.networking

I just downloaded the manual for this the 604+,
ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_mo...sl604+_man.zip
on page 14 of 67 Rear Panel Connections, there is not an Ethernet WAN
port.

Whereas in a Di-604 manual
ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/di_broadband_g...an_v070902.zip
page 2 of 67.
WAN port, This is the connection for the Ethernet Cable to Ethernet port
on the Cable or DSL modem.

Me

why? 04-29-2004 07:27 PM

Re: Router to modem

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:59:29 GMT, why? wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:49:46 +0100, Bulld0g wrote:
>

>>> What's the model number / part code rather than the name only?
>>>

>>Wireless Adsl Router dsl 604+ It is an adsl modem with a built in

<snip>

>Did you confirm / check in the BY newsgroup this model does work?
>blueyonder.users.self-help.networking

I see now you have and someone else also said won't work if it's ADSL
WAN only. As to connecting the CM to the LAN side ports see the thread
just aboue your post -
Newsgroups: blueyonder.users.self-help.networking
Subject: XP box and Linux box thorugh a 3com hub

As mentioned earlier, you can't connect via a switch/hub directly.

<snip>

Me

liaitaly 04-08-2010 06:46 PM

i want to protect my modem router with a password. how can i do?