Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows Messenger V Messenger 6.1 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t197717-windows-messenger-v-messenger-6-1-a.html)

Paula 04-24-2004 12:08 PM

Windows Messenger V Messenger 6.1

I have a laptop running Windows XP.

Windows messenger automatically opens when I open Outlook Express 6
and my contact icons are displayed in the pane at the bottom left of
the screen. I have installed MSN6.1 and prefer to use that. The
question is, How do I deactivate Windows messenger? And how do I make
Outlook Express show the icons in msn6.1 in the pane on the left in
Outlook Express, instead of Windows Messenger taking over. I have
tried disabling Windows Messenger, but MSN 6.1 still doesn't show up
in Outlook Express.

Thanks Pauline

trout 04-24-2004 09:22 PM

Re: Windows Messenger V Messenger 6.1

Paula wrote:

> I have a laptop running Windows XP.
>
> Windows messenger automatically opens when I open Outlook Express 6
> and my contact icons are displayed in the pane at the bottom left of
> the screen. I have installed MSN6.1 and prefer to use that. The
> question is, How do I deactivate Windows messenger? And how do I make
> Outlook Express show the icons in msn6.1 in the pane on the left in
> Outlook Express, instead of Windows Messenger taking over. I have
> tried disabling Windows Messenger, but MSN 6.1 still doesn't show up
> in Outlook Express.
>
> Thanks Pauline

Did you successfully disable it? If you're not sure, you could use
the freeware program Shoot the Messenger:
http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm
which does this specifically.
If your MSN messenger doesn't show in OE following this and a
reboot; you might have to look in the program options.
--
"Sorry; I don't know, specifically."

John 04-24-2004 09:44 PM

Re: Windows Messenger V Messenger 6.1

to deactivate windows messenger go into your services folder which is
located under administrative tools in the control panel.

look down the list and you will see 'messenger' right click on it, go into
properties and press disable

next time you restart your pc delete the messenger folder in your programs
folder and it is gone

news:a8f84350.0404240408.100bab77@posting.google.c om...

Paula 04-25-2004 12:25 PM

Re: Windows Messenger V Messenger 6.1

Many thanks John and trout, will give it a go. Pauline