Velocity Reviews

-   -   Resetting clusters marked bad by Windows XP. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t197154-resetting-clusters-marked-bad-by-windows-xp.html)

Rocky 04-17-2004 02:31 AM

Resetting clusters marked bad by Windows XP.

I have a Windows XP machine that had a hard drive cable that was
loose. Windows XP marked a lot of clusters as bad when in fact there
is nothing wrong with them (after fixing the loose cable). My problem
is that I need to return those clusters to good status now. There is
nothing wrong with the hard drive or the clusters. There are ways to
do it in DOS and regular Windows, but those methods do not work with
Window XP. How do I reset Windows XP's false and incorrect bad
cluster marking/status?

Thanks
Rocky

Unk 04-17-2004 03:43 AM

Re: Resetting clusters marked bad by Windows XP.

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:31:56 -0500, Rocky <no@spam.com> wrote:

>I have a Windows XP machine that had a hard drive cable that was
>loose. Windows XP marked a lot of clusters as bad when in fact there
>is nothing wrong with them (after fixing the loose cable). My problem
>is that I need to return those clusters to good status now. There is
>nothing wrong with the hard drive or the clusters. There are ways to
>do it in DOS and regular Windows, but those methods do not work with
>Window XP. How do I reset Windows XP's false and incorrect bad
>cluster marking/status?
>
>Thanks
>Rocky

Try this: Open a command prompt and type:

chkdsk /r

/R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /F)

Rocky 04-17-2004 08:28 PM

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 23:43:17 -0400, Unk <not@aol.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:31:56 -0500, Rocky <no@spam.com> wrote:
>

>>I have a Windows XP machine that had a hard drive cable that was
>>loose. Windows XP marked a lot of clusters as bad when in fact there
>>is nothing wrong with them (after fixing the loose cable). My problem
>>is that I need to return those clusters to good status now. There is
>>nothing wrong with the hard drive or the clusters. There are ways to
>>do it in DOS and regular Windows, but those methods do not work with
>>Window XP. How do I reset Windows XP's false and incorrect bad
>>cluster marking/status?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Rocky
>>

>Try this: Open a command prompt and type:
>
>chkdsk /r
>
> /R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /F)

Tried that it doesn't work. Windows XP itself somehow keeps track of
what it thinks are bad clusters. I know if I format the hard drive and
reinstall everything the clusters will be good, but I don't want to
have to do that. There are several utilities for resetting and
retesting clusters marked bad for DOS and Windows 9X, but I haven't
found anything to do the same with Windows XP. There must be a way.
Help.

Rocky