Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Installing Multiple Updates and drivers (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t196923-installing-multiple-updates-and-drivers.html)

Colin Steadman 04-14-2004 10:03 AM

Installing Multiple Updates and drivers
 
Every now and then I re-install XP Home on my PC. After I've done
this I download the latest Windows updates, and reinstall the sound,
graphics, NIC drivers ect...

My question is can I do all this at once and reboot at the end. Or do
I need to install each separately and reboot after each new update?

TIA,

Colin

philo 04-14-2004 10:23 AM

Re: Installing Multiple Updates and drivers
 

"Colin Steadman" <google@colinsteadman.com> wrote in message
news:4062dca4.0404140203.1af92ce4@posting.google.c om...
> Every now and then I re-install XP Home on my PC. After I've done
> this I download the latest Windows updates, and reinstall the sound,
> graphics, NIC drivers ect...
>
> My question is can I do all this at once and reboot at the end. Or do
> I need to install each separately and reboot after each new update?
>
> TIA,
>
> Colin


you should install your drivers and your windows updates
seperately

i'm not sure why you feel the need to keep reinstalling your OS, however



Trent SC 04-14-2004 10:35 AM

Re: Installing Multiple Updates and drivers
 
> Every now and then I re-install XP Home on my PC. After I've done
> this I download the latest Windows updates, and reinstall the sound,
> graphics, NIC drivers ect...
>
> My question is can I do all this at once and reboot at the end. Or do
> I need to install each separately and reboot after each new update?


Follow the instructions - if the installer asks you to reboot, then reboot.



Colin Steadman 04-14-2004 05:01 PM

Re: Installing Multiple Updates and drivers
 
> you should install your drivers and your windows updates
> seperately


Thankyou.

> i'm not sure why you feel the need to keep reinstalling your OS, however


Your not the only one, a friend of mine thinks so too. He's upgraded
from 98 to Me to XP without ever doing a reinstall, and seems to be
running ok.

But I prefer a complete reinstall if I think performance is dropping
off, or I experience any weird faults I cant diagnose. This
guarantees a nice healthy system, free of any debris from trial
software and game demo's (I dont trust un-installers). And I always
do a full NTFS drive format to keep the HDDs in peak condition too.

This is less stressful and easier than trying to diagnose some obscure
problem. And it only takes 2 or 3 hours to get 90% of the work done.
My strategy is to keep all my personal files under My Documents. So
when I do the reinstall this gets backed up to D: along with settings
files and other stuff I need to keep. Then after the reinstall I move
it all back and reinstall things like McAfee and ZoneAlarm Pro before
connecting to the net and downloading any updates.

The negative aspects of this are that I have to spend time tweaking
every piece of software to get them to behave the way I prefer. Not
to mention reinstalling it! I really need to look at creating an
image of my basic system with Ghost or something to get round this...

But even so this has to be better for performance than relying in
un-installers and Windows itself to keep the system in tip-top shape?
Dont you agree?

Colin

philo 04-14-2004 05:47 PM

Re: Installing Multiple Updates and drivers
 

"Colin Steadman" <google@colinsteadman.com> wrote in message
news:4062dca4.0404140901.24c3b450@posting.google.c om...
> > you should install your drivers and your windows updates
> > seperately

>
> Thankyou.
>
> > i'm not sure why you feel the need to keep reinstalling your OS, however

>
> Your not the only one, a friend of mine thinks so too. He's upgraded
> from 98 to Me to XP without ever doing a reinstall, and seems to be
> running ok.
>
> But I prefer a complete reinstall if I think performance is dropping
> off, or I experience any weird faults I cant diagnose. This
> guarantees a nice healthy system, free of any debris from trial
> software and game demo's (I dont trust un-installers). And I always
> do a full NTFS drive format to keep the HDDs in peak condition too.
>
> This is less stressful and easier than trying to diagnose some obscure
> problem. And it only takes 2 or 3 hours to get 90% of the work done.
> My strategy is to keep all my personal files under My Documents. So
> when I do the reinstall this gets backed up to D: along with settings
> files and other stuff I need to keep. Then after the reinstall I move
> it all back and reinstall things like McAfee and ZoneAlarm Pro before
> connecting to the net and downloading any updates.
>
> The negative aspects of this are that I have to spend time tweaking
> every piece of software to get them to behave the way I prefer. Not
> to mention reinstalling it! I really need to look at creating an
> image of my basic system with Ghost or something to get round this...
>
> But even so this has to be better for performance than relying in
> un-installers and Windows itself to keep the system in tip-top shape?
> Dont you agree?
>


i usually try to repair problems
however sometimes it is easier just to reinstall the whole thing from
scratch...

not too long ago i had spent over 4 hours trying to repair severe virus
damage on someones machine
then realized i could just format the drive and reinstall in about 90
minutes!

however...i've been running a clean install of XP for about 18 months
and have never had any problems with it yet!



why? 04-14-2004 09:31 PM

Re: Installing Multiple Updates and drivers
 

On 14 Apr 2004 03:03:43 -0700, Colin Steadman wrote:

>Every now and then I re-install XP Home on my PC. After I've done


Do this with NT4 and sometimes Win2000 clears out the collected junk
every so often.

>this I download the latest Windows updates, and reinstall the sound,
>graphics, NIC drivers ect...


Why not get something like Norton Ghost, after you do the next clean
install image the hardisk to CD. When you need to reload everything it
can take 10 minutes or less if the clean install is only a few GB.

>My question is can I do all this at once and reboot at the end. Or do


Prefer OS first, to get it up and running. Then essential device drivers
/ updates after that OS updates.

>I need to install each separately and reboot after each new update?


For the MS updates have a look at qchain. this function IIRC is built
into some NT4 patches, a lot of Win2000 and should be in nearly all XP
as well.

You simply download all the updates, create a batch file using the
options to not reboot. Normally I find 2 batch files are handy 1 for all
updates that don't need a reboot and the others that do.

296861 - How to Install Multiple Windows Updates or Hotfixes with ...
.... 815062 The Correct File Is Not Installed When You Chain Multiple
Hotfixes. Chaining Update Installations Without QChain.exe Is Not Safe.
.... How to Obtain QChain.exe. ...
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296861 - 31k - Cached - Similar pages

See other info
http://www.google.com/search?q=qchain

The easy way is to get the updates from the WU site using the download
basket, burn those to CD and set the correct path in the batch file
created above.

Don't know it's in XP home but search for slipstream / unattended
install. The slipstream lets you build in the service packs into an
automated install.

Me

Colin Steadman 04-15-2004 07:54 AM

Re: Installing Multiple Updates and drivers
 
why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message news:<6lar701hs7bicngfh41karmeqq92tkrndq@4ax.com>. ..
> On 14 Apr 2004 03:03:43 -0700, Colin Steadman wrote:
>
> >Every now and then I re-install XP Home on my PC. After I've done

>
> Do this with NT4 and sometimes Win2000 clears out the collected junk
> every so often.
>
> >this I download the latest Windows updates, and reinstall the sound,
> >graphics, NIC drivers ect...

>
> Why not get something like Norton Ghost, after you do the next clean
> install image the hardisk to CD. When you need to reload everything it
> can take 10 minutes or less if the clean install is only a few GB.
>
> >My question is can I do all this at once and reboot at the end. Or do

>
> Prefer OS first, to get it up and running. Then essential device drivers
> / updates after that OS updates.
>
> >I need to install each separately and reboot after each new update?

>
> For the MS updates have a look at qchain. this function IIRC is built
> into some NT4 patches, a lot of Win2000 and should be in nearly all XP
> as well.
>
> You simply download all the updates, create a batch file using the
> options to not reboot. Normally I find 2 batch files are handy 1 for all
> updates that don't need a reboot and the others that do.
>
> 296861 - How to Install Multiple Windows Updates or Hotfixes with ...
> ... 815062 The Correct File Is Not Installed When You Chain Multiple
> Hotfixes. Chaining Update Installations Without QChain.exe Is Not Safe.
> ... How to Obtain QChain.exe. ...
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296861 - 31k - Cached - Similar pages
>
> See other info
> http://www.google.com/search?q=qchain
>
> The easy way is to get the updates from the WU site using the download
> basket, burn those to CD and set the correct path in the batch file
> created above.
>
> Don't know it's in XP home but search for slipstream / unattended
> install. The slipstream lets you build in the service packs into an
> automated install.
>
> Me




There are some nice ideas in here.

Thankyou Me!

Colin


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.