Velocity Reviews

-   -   Help, someone using my E-Mail return address to send SPAM!!!! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t196343-help-someone-using-my-e-mail-return-address-to-send-spam.html)

FredMcD@HotMail.Com 04-07-2004 12:53 AM

Help, someone using my E-Mail return address to send SPAM!!!!

Someone has been using my E-Mail address to send out Spam and junk mail.

I know this because I have been getting some mail bounced back to me for
bad / unknown addresses or other reasons.

At first I thought someone broke the password on my account, but now I am
sure that is not the case because I changed passwords several times.
The last password I used is not a real word. Also the mail server will
lock out the account in case of multiple bad password tries.

Is there a way to find out who is sending these mailings out and stopping them?

The Old Sourdough 04-07-2004 01:00 AM

Re: Help, someone using my E-Mail return address to send SPAM!!!!

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 20:53:30 -0400, FredMcD@HotMail.Com gibbered like a
sex-crazed chimpanzee in <9YmdnV_dGo24zO7dRVn-jw@giganews.com>

> Someone has been using my E-Mail address to send out Spam and junk mail.
>
> I know this because I have been getting some mail bounced back to me for
> bad / unknown addresses or other reasons.
>
> At first I thought someone broke the password on my account, but now I
> am sure that is not the case because I changed passwords several times.
> The last password I used is not a real word. Also the mail server will
> lock out the account in case of multiple bad password tries.
>
> Is there a way to find out who is sending these mailings out and
> stopping them?

It's more likely that someone who has your email address in their address
book is infected with some nasty Trojan.

--
The Old Sourdough
Beer!!11!! The staff of life.

Jerry G. 04-07-2004 05:11 AM

Re: Help, someone using my E-Mail return address to send SPAM!!!!

Spammers will do this often. Eventually this will wear off with the ones
that are doing it. They will eventually pick up another one. I have had
this done to me often.

Never open any Spam mail. It is possible for very sophisticated emails from
them to drop cookies, and or execute code upon opening their emails. Never
acknowledge to them in any form, that you have received their email.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg
===========

-= Hawk =- 04-07-2004 05:29 AM

Re: Help, someone using my E-Mail return address to send SPAM!!!!

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 01:11:53 -0400, "Jerry G." <jerryg50@hotmail.com>
scribbled:

>Never open any Spam mail. It is possible for very sophisticated emails from
>them to drop cookies, and or execute code upon opening their emails.

Only if you use the world's shittiest email client...

And I see you are.

Riddles II, v3
- T. Pratchett

Paul - xxx 04-07-2004 03:22 PM

Re: Help, someone using my E-Mail return address to send SPAM!!!!

Jerry G. posted ...

> Spammers will do this often. Eventually this will wear off with the
> ones that are doing it. They will eventually pick up another one. I
> have had this done to me often.
>
> Never open any Spam mail. It is possible for very sophisticated
> emails from them to drop cookies, and or execute code upon opening
> their emails. Never acknowledge to them in any form, that you have
> received their email.

Not if you configure your newsreader correctly .. ie not the defaults from
Microsoft ...

Or use a different newsreader ... ;)

--
Paul