Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Hard drive replacement (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t195813-re-hard-drive-replacement.html)

Barry OGrady 04-01-2004 11:55 AM

Re: Hard drive replacement

On 30 Mar 2004 22:32:13 -0600, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

>lafftrax wrote:
>>
>> I have a dell dimension PIII, 600Mhz computer with an Intel SE440BX-3
>> AA722396-300 motherboard @ 100 megahertz that currently has a 20Gig
>> Maxtor 52049U4 hard drive. What type of hard drive can I replace this with?

>If you're lucky up to a 130 gig drive. Depends on if the bios can
>support greater than 32 gig drives as that's a common bios limitation.
>There may possibly be a bios flash utility at Dell which addresses this
>issue as well.

Or he can use an overlay.

-Barry
========

lafftrax 04-01-2004 01:05 PM

Re: Hard drive replacement

Barry OGrady wrote:

> On 30 Mar 2004 22:32:13 -0600, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:
>

>>lafftrax wrote:
>>
>>>I have a dell dimension PIII, 600Mhz computer with an Intel SE440BX-3
>>>AA722396-300 motherboard @ 100 megahertz that currently has a 20Gig
>>>Maxtor 52049U4 hard drive. What type of hard drive can I replace this with?

>>If you're lucky up to a 130 gig drive. Depends on if the bios can
>>support greater than 32 gig drives as that's a common bios limitation.
>>There may possibly be a bios flash utility at Dell which addresses this
>>issue as well.

> Or he can use an overlay.
>

> -Barry
> ========
> Web page: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~barry.og
> Atheist, radio scanner, LIPD information.

Did a search online and it says this is a ATA66 drive, I'm looking at
replacing it with similar but larger capacity(60gig max) and using it as
a second drive or vice versa. The documents that came with the comp
mention ATA33. I'm not too computer savvy so terms like bios flash
utility and overlay fly over my head. Went to a local big box electronic
store and got a blank stare when I mentioned what I was looking for and
the hard sell on scsi 260's, sata 200gigs etc. make the sale and Uhh!
Because its an older system and technology is rapidly changing I was
hoping to get something compatible while they are still available before
they are delegated to the flea market vendor. Sorry about the rambling,
but to clarify will this motherboard accept an ATA66 and at what rpm's?
I kick in the ass to a web site (in language for the computer
illiterate) that would answer my queries would suffice.
Thanx to all that replied to date

--
Remove yourclothes to reply