Velocity Reviews

-   -   Always trying to connect to internet? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t195526-always-trying-to-connect-to-internet.html)

Cheswick 03-05-2004 09:23 PM

Always trying to connect to internet?

I can't find the program that is always connecting my computer to the
internet. It does it automatically and a lot of times when I'm not there
so it makes my phone busy... Any suggestions I'm running XP.
Thanks C

Unknown 03-05-2004 10:06 PM

Re: Always trying to connect to internet?

When you are not there? Is power on? If so go into BIOS and turn off anything
that says 'wake on'. Make sure you are not configured for FAX if not using
FAX.
news:Xns94A3A6CFC1284DammSpamcforceatlant@207.106. 92.150...

Tommy 03-06-2004 02:44 AM

Re: Always trying to connect to internet?

"Cheswick" <Damm.Spam.psbepr@atlantic.net> wrote in message
news:Xns94A3A6CFC1284DammSpamcforceatlant@207.106. 92.150...
> I can't find the program that is always connecting my computer to the
> internet. It does it automatically and a lot of times when I'm not there
> so it makes my phone busy... Any suggestions I'm running XP.
> Thanks C

Each program, will have options to dial automatically. MS Outlook, MS
Outlook Express, Eudora, Pegasus, Internet Explorer, Antivirus programs have
the option to dial and update automatically, etc. Look through all these
that you have, then if still a problem use the process of elimination. Turn
all off and see if it still dials, then add each back one at a time. I had
this problem, but there's no central panel for "autodialing". Also look in
your DUN dial up networking. in W98, 95 under: Connections/General/ : check
"prompt for info before dialing", then when you dial, uncheck "dial
automatically" in whatever dial box appears.

--
Tommy McClure
toner27(removethis)@hal-pc.org

Spider 03-06-2004 03:18 AM

Cheswick wrote:

> I can't find the program that is always connecting my computer to the
> internet. It does it automatically and a lot of times when I'm not there
> so it makes my phone busy... Any suggestions I'm running XP.
> Thanks C

Chuckle, chuckle. You probably have a porn dialer spyware on your
system. Be sure and check your next phone bill closely :-)
http://www.spywareinfo.com will provide you with some tools to check
your system out.

--

Spider
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1/spiderweb1.htm

Toolman Tim 03-06-2004 03:33 AM

Re: Always trying to connect to internet?

There may also be "hidden" things asking to connect...like e-mail worms,
spyware, etc. Do you have current software in place to prevent those kinds
of malicious things from using your computer to spread their nastiness?

Nathan 03-06-2004 07:44 AM

Cheswick wrote:

> I can't find the program that is always connecting my computer to the
> internet. It does it automatically and a lot of times when I'm not there
> so it makes my phone busy... Any suggestions I'm running XP.
> Thanks C

Maybe it was so simple that no one thought to mention it, but Outlook
Express can be configured to connect to check email as often as every
minute. Plus if the button is checked to connect the computer but the
button is NOT checked to disconnect the computer the phone will pretty
much be busy all the time.

Nathan"Call Waiting means YOU wait until I get off-line" T

Barry OGrady 03-07-2004 01:44 AM

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 21:23:51 GMT, Cheswick <Damm.Spam.psbepr@atlantic.net> wrote:

>I can't find the program that is always connecting my computer to the
>internet. It does it automatically and a lot of times when I'm not there
>so it makes my phone busy... Any suggestions I'm running XP.

Disconnect the phone line when not using the modem.

>Thanks C

-Barry
========

Wyatt M. Portendt 03-07-2004 06:06 PM

Re: Always trying to connect to internet?

You probably gots a bug that installed a dialer. You may end up with a
very large phone bill. I'd disconnect that puppy from the phone jack
and do some serious bot/trojan scanning.