Velocity Reviews

-   -   virus in mail from "microsoft" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t194852-virus-in-mail-from-microsoft.html)

Andy 02-26-2004 06:38 PM

virus in mail from "microsoft"

I've received 10 infected emails in the last 3 days, all pertaining to have
come from Microsoft. Are any of you suffering such a proliferation of
attacks (in otherwords is this a general state) or is this just me? And what
can I do other than keep on using antivirus software. Should I somehow
inform Microsoft?

TIA

Andy

Phil B 02-26-2004 06:42 PM

Re: virus in mail from "microsoft"

"Andy" <andrewgregory@breathe.com> wrote in message
<snip>
Should I somehow
> inform Microsoft?
>
> TIA
>
> Andy

Phone them..........., look under "M"............

lol

Phil.

Dan Shea 02-26-2004 06:48 PM

Re: virus in mail from "microsoft"

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:38:48 -0000, "Andy" <andrewgregory@breathe.com>
wrote:

>I've received 10 infected emails in the last 3 days, all pertaining to have
>come from Microsoft. Are any of you suffering such a proliferation of
>attacks (in otherwords is this a general state) or is this just me? And what
>can I do other than keep on using antivirus software. Should I somehow
>inform Microsoft?

Those e-mails are not from Microsoft. Sounds like the Swen virus or
something similar; this little gem fakes the Sender field to make it
look like it's from Microsoft, when actually it comes from some poor
sap who's infected with the virus already.

Keep using your antivirus software. If you like, set up an e-mail
filter to automatically delete those messages.

Cheers,
dan

Dr. Bill 02-26-2004 06:50 PM

Andy wrote:
> I've received 10 infected emails in the last 3 days, all pertaining
> to have come from Microsoft. Are any of you suffering such a
> proliferation of attacks (in otherwords is this a general state) or
> is this just me? And what can I do other than keep on using antivirus
> software.

Go here and read: http://www.mailwasher.net/

Should I somehow inform Microsoft?

Yes, you should act immediately!!! Warning Microsoft is a matter of utmost
importance!!
lol !!

eric the seal 02-26-2004 06:55 PM

Re: virus in mail from "microsoft"

Its OK, no need to be paranoid, they aren't out to get you, specifically!

These seems to come and go like sunspots and at the moment the solar wind is
blowing hard.

I assume that you don't have the preview window open (It you use Outlook)
and would never believe anything purporting to be an email from Microsoft
containing anything useful - it would be trickier for the virus artists if
Microsoft actually did ever value its customers enough to email out patches.

I wouldn't bother trying to tell Microsoft about it as I am sure that they
are getting loads of copies to their own email addresses. And if everyone
went about telling everyone else every time they got a virused email then
the virus artists would get their reward - a well and truly clogged upped
network.

I run NAV and AVG as they seem to co-exist quite happily. even so, if I get
a message with an attachment, I peek at it with "properties" before opening
it. My record was 107 in one day, but then I have email addresses that are
in public databases.

Hope that reassures you...

Tina - AffordableHOST.com 02-26-2004 08:15 PM

"Dr. Bill" <nospam@geenrotzooi.aub> wrote in message
news:403e3fb0$0$12846$3a628fcd@reader1.nntp.hccnet .nl...
> Andy wrote:
> > I've received 10 infected emails in the last 3 days, all pertaining
> > to have come from Microsoft. Are any of you suffering such a
> > proliferation of attacks (in otherwords is this a general state) or
> > is this just me? And what can I do other than keep on using antivirus
> > software.

> Go here and read: http://www.mailwasher.net/

....and don't use Mailwasher's "bounce" feature.

--Tina

--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com - since 1997
Problems with your current host?

Patrick Casher 02-26-2004 11:21 PM

Re: virus in mail from "microsoft"

The one thing that helped me the most was never to allow the mail reader to
download the worm in the first place. This can be done in Outlook Express
by setting up the message rules as follows:

Click Tools, Message Rules, Mail.
Select New
1. Condition, Check box "Where to or CC line contains people"
2. Action, Check box "Stop processing more rules"
3. Description, Click on underlined "contains people" then type in your
email address, Then Add, and OK.
(Select new rule # 2)
Click New
1. Condition, Check box "For all messages"
2. Action, Check box "Delete from server"
Click ok, apply now, apply now, ok ,close, ok.

This will cause the mail reader only to accept mail addressed directly to
you and delete all others from the server. It also deletes mail sent to you
if the sender sent it using the BCC field to address you and others blocking
the others addresses from you. If this is a concern the following should
work.

The following info also came from Paul[MSFT]

Some people may want to occasionally review deleted messages to verify that
nothing legit is being filtered out. If this interests you, you could
modify the second step in Rule 2 to "Delete It" or "Move to Folder" rather
than deleting it from the server. Then you could occasionally scan the
messages in the deleted items folder or other folder for legit email.

Better yet,

There's a freeware program Magic Mail Monitor 3, that continually monitors
mail boxes and allows deleting from server or flagging the infected mail
only,
it and it's required filter is available via the following link:

http://nakawe.sourceforge.net/MMM3/

Patrick

William Poaster 02-27-2004 12:50 AM

Re: virus in mail from "microsoft"

It was on Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:38:48 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
large jam doughnut, that Andy wrote:

> I've received 10 infected emails in the last 3 days, all pertaining to
> have come from Microsoft. Are any of you suffering such a proliferation of
> attacks (in otherwords is this a general state) or is this just me? And
> what can I do other than keep on using antivirus software.

Yes, use another OS.

> Should I somehow inform Microsoft?

Would they take any notice?

--
Linux User #: 305646.
Using linux @ home since 1998

Linda 02-27-2004 05:14 AM

"eric the seal" <eric_seal@beeb.net.nospam> wrote in message
> Its OK, no need to be paranoid, they aren't out to get you, specifically!
>
> These seems to come and go like sunspots and at the moment the solar wind

is
> blowing hard.
>
> I assume that you don't have the preview window open (It you use Outlook)
> and would never believe anything purporting to be an email from Microsoft
> containing anything useful - it would be trickier for the virus artists

if
> Microsoft actually did ever value its customers enough to email out

patches.

Although I agree that Microsoft as an organisation don't give a damn about
the average user, if Microsoft emailed patches to all users of Microsoft
products, a whole bunch of ISPs from around the world would get really
annoyed when their mail server was swamped with emails from Microsoft, all
containing patches or hotfixes or Microsoft products.

Linda 02-27-2004 05:16 AM

Re: virus in mail from "microsoft"

Welcome to the 2/3's of the planet that get them.