Velocity Reviews

-   -   Install WinXP on HP Machine (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t194805-install-winxp-on-hp-machine.html)

Bishoop 02-26-2004 12:05 AM

Install WinXP on HP Machine

A neighbor has an HP Pavilion a320n which came loaded with the usual array
of crap software.

She asked if I would redo her machine using a commercial version of WinXP
which she is willing to purchase.

I checked the HP web site and there is quite an assortment of
driver/software located at http://tinyurl.com/ubnj.

Would I be successful getting her machine running with a fresh install of
commercial WinXP and the collection of stuff located on the HP site?

I've built many PCs and configured them but have never reworked a brand name
unit. I just don't want to get in the position where the machine won't
work.

Thanks....

Mike245 02-26-2004 12:15 AM

Re: Install WinXP on HP Machine

Bishoop wrote:

> She asked if I would redo her machine using a commercial version of WinXP
> which she is willing to purchase.

Sure, just burn whatever drivers you need from the website onto a CD and
do the reinstall. You can ignore the microsoft updates as you can get
those from the web, but do put the patch for blaster or at least enable
the firewall before going on the web with a fresh XP install.

--
Mike
Block Banner Ads Now

Bishoop 02-26-2004 12:35 AM

"Mike245" <user245athotmail.com@ignorethis.com> wrote in message
| Bishoop wrote:
|
| > She asked if I would redo her machine using a commercial version of
WinXP
| > which she is willing to purchase.
|
| Sure, just burn whatever drivers you need from the website onto a CD and
| do the reinstall. You can ignore the microsoft updates as you can get
| those from the web, but do put the patch for blaster or at least enable
| the firewall before going on the web with a fresh XP install.
|

| --
| Mike
| Block Banner Ads Now
| http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html

Thanks for the input.

You mention Blaster, is that the RealTek audio update?

John Holmes 02-26-2004 01:06 AM

Re: Install WinXP on HP Machine

Bishoop came up with this:

> "Mike245" <user245athotmail.com@ignorethis.com> wrote in message
>| Bishoop wrote:
>|
>| > She asked if I would redo her machine using a commercial version of
> WinXP
>| > which she is willing to purchase.
>|
>| Sure, just burn whatever drivers you need from the website onto a CD and
>| do the reinstall. You can ignore the microsoft updates as you can get
>| those from the web, but do put the patch for blaster or at least enable
>| the firewall before going on the web with a fresh XP install.
>|

>| --
>| Mike
>| Block Banner Ads Now
>| http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
>
> Thanks for the input.
>
> You mention Blaster, is that the RealTek audio update?

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

PML

--
-John Holmes-

Dennis 02-26-2004 06:08 AM

Bishoop wrote:

> "Mike245" <user245athotmail.com@ignorethis.com> wrote in message
> | Bishoop wrote:
> |
> | > She asked if I would redo her machine using a commercial version of
> WinXP
> | > which she is willing to purchase.
> |
> | Sure, just burn whatever drivers you need from the website onto a CD and
> | do the reinstall. You can ignore the microsoft updates as you can get
> | those from the web, but do put the patch for blaster or at least enable
> | the firewall before going on the web with a fresh XP install.
> |

> | --
> | Mike
> | Block Banner Ads Now
> | http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
>
> Thanks for the input.
>
> You mention Blaster, is that the RealTek audio update?

No...a worm. Make sure and get any MS critical updates after
installation of XP. You may find that XP already has drivers for all or
most of the components in her PC. Updated versions can often be had
through Windows update.

Kenny Cargill 02-26-2004 07:04 PM

Re: Install WinXP on HP Machine

Use Aida32:
http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php
and/or Belarc:
to identify installed hardware then look for XP drivers before starting.
Both are free.

--

Kenny

Professor 02-28-2004 04:20 PM

Re: Install WinXP on HP Machine

I redid a Gateway but never an HP though I have one. The Gateway had the
drivers for the sound, video card and they had a modem so it worked fine.
Mostly what you need are the drivers for the essential hardware, graphics
and sound, and modem if there is one. If that is what is on the website it
should work fine. The HP I am using here came with a hidden partition for
restoring it which I don't like as compared to having disks.