Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cannot fileshare wireless laptop vs. cable connected desktop thru D-Link DSL-G604T ADSL/Router. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t19433-cannot-fileshare-wireless-laptop-vs-cable-connected-desktop-thru-d-link-dsl-g604t-adsl-router.html)

Jürgen Germonpré 11-17-2005 01:38 PM

Cannot fileshare wireless laptop vs. cable connected desktop thru D-Link DSL-G604T ADSL/Router.

Hi all,

I have a D-Link DSL-G604T ADSL/Router. I've set it up with WPA/PSK String
security.
My desktop pc is connected via network cable.
Laptop via wireless connection.
So far so good: both computers have flawless internet connection, no
problem.

Now i've tried to set up filesharing between both pc but i doesn't work:
Both systems have XP sp2 installed. Put them in the same workgroup and have
folders shared on both machines.
Laptop has symantec internet security running but now have turned off
firewall.
Desktop has only XP firewall running.

When I ping my laptop from the desktop, I do recieve replies rightaway.
However when i ping my destop from my laptop: no response.

Could it be i'm missing out some things on the router config ??

Thanks.

Jürgen Germonpré 11-17-2005 02:17 PM

Re: Cannot fileshare wireless laptop vs. cable connected desktop thru D-Link DSL-G604T ADSL/Router.

Found another posting in this group with more or less the same problem just
after i've posted this one.
Tried the solution offered: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
but it didn't solve the problem. Since I use the laptop at the company
(other network/ wireless and ethernet) I prefer not to use the Netbui
solution.

=?Utf-8?B?TSBIIEFuYXM=?= 11-18-2005 03:02 AM

RE: Cannot fileshare wireless laptop vs. cable connected desktop thru

HI Jurgen,

Instead of turning off the firewall, can you try turning off the whole NIS
to test?

Jürgen Germonpré 11-18-2005 09:34 AM

Re: Cannot fileshare wireless laptop vs. cable connected desktop thru

Thanks for your suggestion.

However it still doesn't work.

By now i'm able to 'SEE', my laptop in the workgroup, 'SEE' shared files on
my laptop from my desktop: literally i see them but I CANNOT COPY files
FROM the wireless device ! On the other hand i CAN COPY files TO.
It looks like it works only in one direction (cable -> wireless) but NOT in
the other (wireless -> cable).
Ping still doesn't work from wireless to desktop (except router address).

(forgot to include: wifi adaptor: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2915ABG)

I don't understand this one-directional behaviour.

JG

Rich 11-18-2005 02:28 PM

Re: Cannot fileshare wireless laptop vs. cable connected desktop thru

Just a guess, but did you enable the option to CHANGE files or just
share (READ) them. I think if you only have permission to read them
you are prohibited from writing files to the shared folder.

Jürgen Germonpré 11-18-2005 05:37 PM

Re: Cannot fileshare wireless laptop vs. cable connected desktop thru

Yes, i did that.
I can write to the shared folder on the wireless device. But the silly thing
is, I can't copy from ! So it is as if I haven't the permission to read a
file !