Velocity Reviews

-   -   Installing new hard drive question.Can I make image of old drive? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t193716-installing-new-hard-drive-question-can-i-make-image-of-old-drive.html)

CrackHeadBob 02-13-2004 02:30 PM

Installing new hard drive question.Can I make image of old drive?

I'm installing a new hard drive and swapping out my 40 gig for a new 250
gig hard drive. I have no other bays open which is why I have to swap it
out. The question I have is there a a way I can make an image of my old
hard drive, temporarily save it to my external hard drive and then place
it on the new hard drive when I install it? If so how do I go about
doing that? What would I need to do that. Once done would it boot up
like normal? If this is possible my 40 gig is partioned and would I have
to make an image of both drives? Any input on this subject would be
greatly appreciated. TIA

chip_y2kuk 02-13-2004 02:41 PM

Re: Installing new hard drive question.Can I make image of old drive?

"CrackHeadBob" <buddylee32@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm installing a new hard drive and swapping out my 40 gig for a new 250
> gig hard drive. I have no other bays open which is why I have to swap it
> out. The question I have is there a a way I can make an image of my old
> hard drive, temporarily save it to my external hard drive and then place
> it on the new hard drive when I install it? If so how do I go about
> doing that? What would I need to do that. Once done would it boot up
> like normal? If this is possible my 40 gig is partioned and would I have
> to make an image of both drives? Any input on this subject would be
> greatly appreciated. TIA

you can use norton ghost for this kind of thing and you can copy from disk
to disk so this means you put your new disk in where ya want it make your
old disk a slave and COPY! this means leaving the disk upside down in the
case for a while but it dont usually take to long to do a disk to disk copy

Harrison 02-13-2004 03:03 PM

Re: Installing new hard drive question.Can I make image of old drive?

There are many ways.
You can use third party software such as Drive Image or Ghost.
You can use xcopy.
Most new hard drives come with utility disk with programs to accomplish the transfer as well.
If your drive didn't ship with such software, check their website.

Also, you do not have to use the external drive as a transition device.
Simply install the new drive as a slave, copy the old on over to it, remove the old drive, and switch the new one to the
master position.

http://www.tencorp.com/SALESTIP.NSF/...2?OpenDocument
http://www.newfreeware.com/utils/418/
http://www.symantec.com/driveimage/index.html
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

The following is courtesy of Unk.
Using xcopy in Windows XP.
First, install the drive as a slave and format the new drive from the
WindowsXP's "My Computer" window.
NOTE: You MUST format it from Windows to make it bootable.
XP doesn't have the equivalent of the older "sys" command.

Now, open a CMD prompt window and type the following:
(where c: is the old drive, and d: is the new drive)

xcopy c: d: /r/i/c/h/k/e/y

Dan Shea 02-13-2004 03:57 PM

Re: Installing new hard drive question.Can I make image of old drive?

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:30:29 -0600, CrackHeadBob
<buddylee32@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I'm installing a new hard drive and swapping out my 40 gig for a new 250
>gig hard drive. I have no other bays open which is why I have to swap it
>out.

You don't reallly need extra *bays*. As long as you've got an open
IDE connection (I'm presuming this isn't a SCSI drive) and a power
lead you can plug into it, you can just open the case, hook it up --
without screwing it in to a bay -- and transfer your data. Be careful
about how you situate it, but it's no big deal. Or, if you're
squeamish about having the new HD just hanging there, take out your
floppy drive for a bit and put the new drive in that bay while you
transfer the data.

Cheers,
dan

CrackHeadBob 02-13-2004 04:15 PM

Re: Installing new hard drive question.Can I make image of old drive?

How do I make the new hard drive a slave while copying the old drive to
it? What would I need? Remember I have no additional bays open. Thx.

Dan Shea 02-13-2004 04:50 PM

Re: Installing new hard drive question.Can I make image of old drive?

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:15:12 -0600, CrackHeadBob
<buddylee32@hotmail.com> wrote:

>How do I make the new hard drive a slave while copying the old drive to
>it? What would I need? Remember I have no additional bays open. Thx.

Look at the drive instructions; that should tell you. Typically there
is a jumper switch you need to move.

As per my previous post, you don't need an open bay.

Cheers,
dan

Harrison 02-13-2004 05:03 PM

Re: Installing new hard drive question.Can I make image of old drive?

Disconnect a CD-ROM drive temporarily since you won't need it to copy files from one HDD to the other.