Velocity Reviews

-   -   Updating windows creates internet problem. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t193637-updating-windows-creates-internet-problem.html)

Lee Davison 02-12-2004 08:37 PM

Updating windows creates internet problem.

Win 2000, MSOE 5, IE5
Yesterday I had a lengthy download of the latest Windows 2000 update taking
about 2 hours. I come to connect to the internet today and it connects but I
get page cannot be displayed and it will not download emails. The only
reason Im connected now is because I had the prescence of mind (for once) to
backup my system settings a couple of days ago which Ive just reloaded.
Whats the point in downloading an update that cuts me off from the inet, I
cant access it at work so I need to know if MS have realeased a patch
solving this cut off and download it in advance, before im cut off.
Could someone kindly point me in the right direction, I did download a
patch from MS but it turns out to be the wrong one, its the OE6 patch I got,
not the Windows update one.
Regards
Lee

Harrison 02-12-2004 09:24 PM

Re: Updating windows creates internet problem.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:37:48 +0000 (UTC), "Lee Davison" <lee.j.davison@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Win 2000, MSOE 5, IE5
>Yesterday I had a lengthy download of the latest Windows 2000 update taking
>about 2 hours. I come to connect to the internet today and it connects but I
>get page cannot be displayed and it will not download emails. The only
>reason Im connected now is because I had the prescence of mind (for once) to
>backup my system settings a couple of days ago which Ive just reloaded.
>Whats the point in downloading an update that cuts me off from the inet, I
>cant access it at work so I need to know if MS have realeased a patch
>solving this cut off and download it in advance, before im cut off.
>Could someone kindly point me in the right direction, I did download a
>patch from MS but it turns out to be the wrong one, its the OE6 patch I got,
>not the Windows update one.
>Regards
>Lee

What patch or patches were installed?
Based on you having IE5, you should have been offered Service Pack 4.
Was that what caused the problems?
Reconnect to the update site and see what's offered.
Download and install each one independently and test the machine after each restart.
Try to pin it down to a specific update.

ilmc 02-12-2004 09:32 PM

Re: Updating windows creates internet problem.

Lee Davison typed:
> Win 2000, MSOE 5, IE5
> Yesterday I had a lengthy download of the latest Windows 2000 update
> taking about 2 hours. I come to connect to the internet today and it
> connects but I get page cannot be displayed and it will not download
> emails. The only reason Im connected now is because I had the
> prescence of mind (for once) to backup my system settings a couple of
> days ago which Ive just reloaded. Whats the point in downloading an
> update that cuts me off from the inet, I cant access it at work so I
> need to know if MS have realeased a patch solving this cut off and
> download it in advance, before im cut off.
> Could someone kindly point me in the right direction, I did download
> a patch from MS but it turns out to be the wrong one, its the OE6
> patch I got, not the Windows update one.
> Regards
> Lee

You may have valid reasons for not using the latest updates, but IE6sp1
(with cumulative patches (sigh) ) works on my w2kpro

Lee Davison 02-12-2004 09:44 PM

Re: Updating windows creates internet problem.

I have tried once with Windows 2000 service pack 4 Express and also once
with Direct X 9 End User. Installing both updates causes the internet to
stop. I had the same problem early last week when I tried OE6.
Regards
Lee

Harrison 02-12-2004 09:54 PM

Re: Updating windows creates internet problem.

My guess would be that the updates are changing something your BT connection settings.
Call them and ask to see if they know of any issues with updates and connection problems.

Also, check your network settings before and after an update. Are there differences?

ilmc 02-12-2004 09:57 PM

Re: Updating windows creates internet problem.

Lee Davison typed:
> I have tried once with Windows 2000 service pack 4 Express and also
> once with Direct X 9 End User. Installing both updates causes the
> internet to stop. I had the same problem early last week when I tried
> OE6.
> Regards
> Lee

Er, clutching at straws, but MS keep " improving" default security settings
with each new patch. Have the defaults changed to keep you off the net?
Don't think DirectX will be your problem, but then....
HTH, but I won't be holding my breath.

Lee Davison 02-13-2004 05:28 PM

Re: Updating windows creates internet problem.

You see, im actually on the net, I just cant view it. I mean the computers
are there in the corner, flashing occasionally so i know im connected,
something just wont let me view the pages or download the emails. Ill try
Harrisons earlier advice on downloading each in turn and if it works ill
save my setting after each and report back.
Lee

Dan Shea 02-13-2004 06:35 PM

Re: Updating windows creates internet problem.

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:28:24 +0000 (UTC), "Lee Davison"
<lee.j.davison@btinternet.com> wrote:

>You see, im actually on the net, I just cant view it. I mean the computers
>are there in the corner, flashing occasionally so i know im connected,
>something just wont let me view the pages or download the emails. Ill try
>Harrisons earlier advice on downloading each in turn and if it works ill
>save my setting after each and report back.
>Lee

The computers flashing just mean that you're physically connected. I
wouldn't expect an MS update to alter *that* particular fact. But you
never know... Anyways, what would be more useful to know is whether
the update messes with your netwok settings. I would strongly doubt
it, but you should run "ipconfig /all" from a command prompt before
and after the update, and see if anything has changed. Also try
pinging your default gateway and make sure that works.

I'm more inclined to believe that the updates are screwing with your
browser and e-mail programs.

Cheers,
dan