Velocity Reviews

-   -   audio hum when i run my PC sound thru my stereo system (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t193260-audio-hum-when-i-run-my-pc-sound-thru-my-stereo-system.html)

Mistuh 02-08-2004 09:40 PM

audio hum when i run my PC sound thru my stereo system

Hi all. I have my Dell PC hooked up to my stereo receiver....but i cannot
get a persistent low-frequency hum out of this connection. The hum ONLY
comes from the stereo system speakers, surround speakers, etc. There is NO
hum from the harman kardon speakers that are used specifically as PC
speakers. I tried plugging the RCA jacks into several different
outputs/inputs(?) on the back of the receiver, but no matter WHAT i do, i
can't get rid of that hum! Any suggestions/solutions? Thanks in advance.

Shel-hed 02-08-2004 09:49 PM

Re: audio hum when i run my PC sound thru my stereo system

Probably a ground loop.
Step 1- disconnect cablevision (if applicable).
If no luck,
Step 2- Connect computer and stereo to same wall outlet. Leave the TV, cable and VCR
out of the mix completely.

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 21:40:19 GMT, "Mistuh" <mimill@nyc.rr-screwthespam-.com> wrote in
24hoursupport.helpdesk:

Thund3rstruck_N0i 02-08-2004 09:51 PM

Re: audio hum when i run my PC sound thru my stereo system

Mistuh spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
<71yVb.3709$Lp.1379@twister.nyc.rr.com>

> Hi all. I have my Dell PC hooked up to my stereo receiver....but i cannot
> get a persistent low-frequency hum out of this connection. The hum ONLY
> comes from the stereo system speakers, surround speakers, etc. There is
> NO hum from the harman kardon speakers that are used specifically as PC
> speakers. I tried plugging the RCA jacks into several different
> outputs/inputs(?) on the back of the receiver, but no matter WHAT i do, i
> can't get rid of that hum! Any suggestions/solutions? Thanks in advance.

Usually, from an audio standpoint, a hum is caused by a bad ground
somewhere. You need to make sure the patch cable that connects the stereo
and PC together is in good shape, and the stereo is plugged into he sound
card's "line out" jack . You also need to make sure the PC and Stereo are
plugged into the same outlet.

HTH

NOI

Art 02-08-2004 09:53 PM

Re: audio hum when i run my PC sound thru my stereo system

May not be solvable in your specific situation but you can try
reversing the PC and audio system AC plugs (one at a time). If they
are 3-prong use a two-prong adapter (carefully!). You can also run a
grounding wire from the PC chassis or the amplifier chassis to a
ground such as the center screw of an outlet or a cold-water pipe. In
my experience, audio systems and PC's are really two different
electrical worlds and do not always like to be coupled together.

Art

Ionizer 02-08-2004 10:02 PM

"Mistuh" <mimill@nyc.rr-screwthespam-.com> wrote in message
> Hi all. I have my Dell PC hooked up to my stereo receiver....but i cannot
> get a persistent low-frequency hum out of this connection. The hum ONLY
> comes from the stereo system speakers, surround speakers, etc. There is

NO
> hum from the harman kardon speakers that are used specifically as PC
> speakers. I tried plugging the RCA jacks into several different
> outputs/inputs(?) on the back of the receiver, but no matter WHAT i do, i
> can't get rid of that hum! Any suggestions/solutions? Thanks in advance.

As I discovered recently after posing this same question to this newsgroup,
it is a ground loop problem. This particular solution was the one I used:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=270-054

Because of the way our room is set up, I was unable to try the other
solutions suggested in that thread- plug the computer and your home stereo
into the same circuit, etc. I am quite sure that those other suggestions
work also, but it's the Radio Shack part that worked for me.

HTH,
Ian.

Mistuh 02-08-2004 11:40 PM

"Thund3rstruck_N0i" <Thund3rstruck_N0i@hotmail.comREMOVE> wrote in message
> Mistuh spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
> <71yVb.3709$Lp.1379@twister.nyc.rr.com>
>
> > Hi all. I have my Dell PC hooked up to my stereo receiver....but i

cannot
> > get a persistent low-frequency hum out of this connection. The hum

ONLY
> > comes from the stereo system speakers, surround speakers, etc. There is
> > NO hum from the harman kardon speakers that are used specifically as PC
> > speakers. I tried plugging the RCA jacks into several different
> > outputs/inputs(?) on the back of the receiver, but no matter WHAT i do,

> > can't get rid of that hum! Any suggestions/solutions? Thanks in

advance.

> Usually, from an audio standpoint, a hum is caused by a bad ground
> somewhere. You need to make sure the patch cable that connects the stereo
> and PC together is in good shape, and the stereo is plugged into he sound
> card's "line out" jack . You also need to make sure the PC and Stereo are
> plugged into the same outlet.
>
> HTH

Interesting...I'll have to try that possiblity out. I was worried about an
overload of power if they were plugged into the same outlets....no reason to
fear that?

NOI

Mistuh 02-08-2004 11:43 PM

"Ionizer" <frito_lay_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Mistuh" <mimill@nyc.rr-screwthespam-.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all. I have my Dell PC hooked up to my stereo receiver....but i

cannot
> > get a persistent low-frequency hum out of this connection. The hum

ONLY
> > comes from the stereo system speakers, surround speakers, etc. There is

> NO
> > hum from the harman kardon speakers that are used specifically as PC
> > speakers. I tried plugging the RCA jacks into several different
> > outputs/inputs(?) on the back of the receiver, but no matter WHAT i do,

> > can't get rid of that hum! Any suggestions/solutions? Thanks in

advance.

> As I discovered recently after posing this same question to this

newsgroup,
> it is a ground loop problem. This particular solution was the one I used:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=270-054

> Because of the way our room is set up, I was unable to try the other
> solutions suggested in that thread- plug the computer and your home stereo
> into the same circuit, etc. I am quite sure that those other suggestions
> work also, but it's the Radio Shack part that worked for me.
>
> HTH,
> Ian.

OK, thanks Ian, i'll try that out later in the week, when i get a chance to
go to Radio Shack...altho i'm not sure i'll know *what* gets plugged into
*what* based on that pic i saw on the link you provided. ~Mike

Mistuh 02-09-2004 12:00 AM

Re: audio hum when i run my PC sound thru my stereo system

"Thund3rstruck_N0i" <Thund3rstruck_N0i@hotmail.comREMOVE> wrote in message
> Mistuh spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
> <71yVb.3709$Lp.1379@twister.nyc.rr.com>
>
> > Hi all. I have my Dell PC hooked up to my stereo receiver....but i

cannot
> > get a persistent low-frequency hum out of this connection. The hum

ONLY
> > comes from the stereo system speakers, surround speakers, etc. There is
> > NO hum from the harman kardon speakers that are used specifically as PC
> > speakers. I tried plugging the RCA jacks into several different
> > outputs/inputs(?) on the back of the receiver, but no matter WHAT i do,

> > can't get rid of that hum! Any suggestions/solutions? Thanks in

advance.

> Usually, from an audio standpoint, a hum is caused by a bad ground
> somewhere. You need to make sure the patch cable that connects the stereo
> and PC together is in good shape, and the stereo is plugged into he sound
> card's "line out" jack . You also need to make sure the PC and Stereo are
> plugged into the same outlet.
>
> HTH

I've plugged both PC and stereo into the same wall outlet...altho i had to
use an EXTENSION CORD to plug the stereo into this particular wall
outlet...and the hum is still there, altho not as bad as it -was-.
NOI

Mistuh 02-09-2004 12:11 AM

Re: audio hum when i run my PC sound thru my stereo system

"Thund3rstruck_N0i" <Thund3rstruck_N0i@hotmail.comREMOVE> wrote in message
> Mistuh spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
> <71yVb.3709$Lp.1379@twister.nyc.rr.com>
>
> > Hi all. I have my Dell PC hooked up to my stereo receiver....but i

cannot
> > get a persistent low-frequency hum out of this connection. The hum

ONLY
> > comes from the stereo system speakers, surround speakers, etc. There is
> > NO hum from the harman kardon speakers that are used specifically as PC
> > speakers. I tried plugging the RCA jacks into several different
> > outputs/inputs(?) on the back of the receiver, but no matter WHAT i do,

> > can't get rid of that hum! Any suggestions/solutions? Thanks in

advance.

> Usually, from an audio standpoint, a hum is caused by a bad ground
> somewhere. You need to make sure the patch cable that connects the stereo
> and PC together is in good shape, and the stereo is plugged into he sound
> card's "line out" jack . You also need to make sure the PC and Stereo are
> plugged into the same outlet.
>
> HTH

O well....i tried all the above...the patch cable is brand new and in good
shape...the stereo is plugged into the "line out" jack absolutely. Both PC
and stereo are now in the same wall outlet, altho i have to use an extension
cord for the stereo...and the hum is still humming EXACTLY as
before...<sigh>. Any other ideas?

NOI

Thund3rstruck_N0i 02-09-2004 02:06 AM

<oeAVb.184810$4F2.24209038@twister.nyc.rr.com>
> O well....i tried all the above...the patch cable is brand new and in good
> shape...the stereo is plugged into the "line out" jack absolutely. Both
> PC and stereo are now in the same wall outlet, altho i have to use an
> extension cord for the stereo...and the hum is still humming EXACTLY as
> before...<sigh>. Any other ideas?

How old is the stereo? Some of the older (Pre late-70's) allow you to plug
the power cord in, more ways than one. If this is the case, try reversing
that.

NOI