Velocity Reviews

-   -   strange e-mails (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t193049-strange-e-mails.html)

Phil B 02-06-2004 05:40 PM

strange e-mails

Evening all,
I know the new mydoom virus is rife at the moment, but is it possible to
hide its self on my pc undetected, even tho I have the latest virus
definitions, and updates from Norton. and have scanned my system on a
regular basis (including today).

the reason I ask is that I am receiving an awful lot of e-mails saying I
have sent e-mails to soanso@thingibobnet.com ect.....ect and that they have
failed due to a virus notification....balata, blaaaaa ect ect.

I check my sent items box and, nothing.

any help, much appreciated.

Phil.

--
The Vatican is considering making St Isidore of Seville - who created the
world's first database 1,400 years ago - the patron saint of the Internet.

Hywel Jenkins 02-06-2004 05:55 PM

Re: strange e-mails

In article <c00jis$a2t$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk>, PHIL@bradley0007.REMOVE-
ME.freeserve.co.uk says...
> Evening all,
> I know the new mydoom virus is rife at the moment, but is it possible to
> hide its self on my pc undetected, even tho I have the latest virus
> definitions, and updates from Norton. and have scanned my system on a
> regular basis (including today).
>
> the reason I ask is that I am receiving an awful lot of e-mails saying I
> have sent e-mails to soanso@thingibobnet.com ect.....ect and that they have
> failed due to a virus notification....balata, blaaaaa ect ect.
>
> I check my sent items box and, nothing.

Your email address is probably being used to send spam. Not by you,
though.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

Harrison 02-06-2004 06:08 PM

Re: strange e-mails

The virus is on some else's computer.
They have your name in their address book.
The virus is using their address book, and your address, to send
itself to others in the book.

The one absolute truth is that if you are getting these messages, then
the virus is not coming from you.

Starla 02-06-2004 06:40 PM

Re: strange e-mails

This (spamer using my address) is the same exact explanation I was given by
my server when I received one of these returned mail's and asked them about
it.

news:MPG.1a8de57bb2898edc9899fd@news.individual.ne t...

Harrison 02-06-2004 07:18 PM

Re: strange e-mails

It's not spammer using your address.
The worm (virus) residing on someone else's system is getting your
address from their address book.
The worm then uses your address to send replicates of itself to other
addresses in the address book.

Christopher R. Mohr Sr. 02-06-2004 11:18 PM

Re: strange e-mails

Hi Phil,

The first internet account I had was with pe.net, a provider owned and
operated by the Press-Enterprise, a newspaper here in southern California.
They were pretty good for about a year or so, and then the usual problems
came up when a server bites off more than it can chew. I started getting
that same kind of insane mail. It was sporadic at first and then became more
frequent until it was the only e-mail I was getting. It just kept coming,
one piece of crap after another after another. All day long. I can't
imagine how they did it, but they actually overwhelmed my incoming e-mail
and prevented it from getting to me.

I called my server and my mind boggled when the young woman there said that
nothing could be done about it until they caught whomever was doing it and
put them in jail. Needless to say, I cancelled my account with pe.net.

I hope your situation doesn't become that serious.

Norm 02-06-2004 11:46 PM

Re: strange e-mails

" Christopher R. Mohr Sr." <christopher.mohrsr@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hi Phil,
>
> The first internet account I had was with pe.net, a provider owned and
> operated by the Press-Enterprise, a newspaper here in southern California.
> They were pretty good for about a year or so, and then the usual problems
> came up when a server bites off more than it can chew. I started getting
> that same kind of insane mail. It was sporadic at first and then became

more
> frequent until it was the only e-mail I was getting. It just kept coming,
> one piece of crap after another after another. All day long. I can't
> imagine how they did it, but they actually overwhelmed my incoming e-mail
> and prevented it from getting to me.
>
> I called my server and my mind boggled when the young woman there said

that
> nothing could be done about it until they caught whomever was doing it and
> put them in jail. Needless to say, I cancelled my account with pe.net.

snip, snip

My ISP screens and identifies viruses, adds this info to the header, THEN
forwards to my inbox.

Unconscionable!

Norm