Velocity Reviews

-   -   Please Help me with this blue error screen of Win98SE ! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t192845-please-help-me-with-this-blue-error-screen-of-win98se.html)

Martyn 02-04-2004 02:24 PM

Please Help me with this blue error screen of Win98SE !

Hi,
Because of some problems, I'am trying to re-install Win98 on top of itself
but get a blue error screen when it tries to check "installed Windows
components"...
The message is something like this:
-------------------------
A fatal exception 0E has occured at 0028:C02B13D8 in IFSMGR(04) + 00012AEC.
The current applicaiton will be terminated.
xxxxxxxxxxx
Press any key to continue
-------------------------
Can anyone suggest how to get over with this problem?
TIA

Harrison 02-04-2004 02:38 PM

Re: Please Help me with this blue error screen of Win98SE !

Reinstalling over a buggy system is not a good idea.
back up your data and reinstall from scratch.
Add antivirus and adware/spyware scanners as well.
The web isn't as friendly as it used to be.

Martyn 02-04-2004 03:49 PM

Re: Please Help me with this blue error screen of Win98SE !

Thanks for your answer Harrison,
I agree in general with you but what I look forward now is to learn a way to
diagnose the trouble and get rid of it before I give up and do a total
format+re-install.

ICee 02-04-2004 04:10 PM

Martyn wrote:
> Hi,
> Because of some problems, I'am trying to re-install Win98 on top of
> itself but get a blue error screen when it tries to check "installed
> Windows components"...
> The message is something like this:
> -------------------------
> A fatal exception 0E has occured at 0028:C02B13D8 in IFSMGR(04) +
> 00012AEC. The current applicaiton will be terminated.
> xxxxxxxxxxx
> Press any key to continue
> -------------------------
> Can anyone suggest how to get over with this problem?
> TIA

Look here:
http://www.techadvice.com/w98/errors/1/er_00028.htm
and here:
http://www.techadvice.com/w98/E/Exception_errors.htm
Follow the other links on the pages if the immediate suggestion doesn't
work.

Gary G. Taylor 02-09-2004 07:03 AM

Martyn wrote:

> Thanks for your answer Harrison,
> I agree in general with you but what I look forward now is to learn a way
> to diagnose the trouble and get rid of it before I give up and do a total
> format+re-install.
>

> <Harrison> wrote in message
>> Reinstalling over a buggy system is not a good idea.
>> back up your data and reinstall from scratch.
>> Add antivirus and adware/spyware scanners as well.
>> The web isn't as friendly as it used to be.

Re-read the first line of Harrison's posting: "Reinstalling over a buggy
system is not a good idea." Forget clearing out the bugs, backup and
reinstall from scratch.

--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA