Velocity Reviews

-   -   HDD snag (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t192818-hdd-snag.html)

king doodle squat 02-04-2004 02:43 AM

HDD snag

i'm trying to re-install winxp pro onto a new HDD (Western Digital), but
when my pc boots up i get a message in the DOS screen that says something on
the lines of "missing NTLDR, press control alt delete to restart", which
contiually goes back to the same message & gives me the same snag.

I've now jumpered the new drive as a slave, put the original HDD back in, &
my pc boots up fine, only i can no longer see the new drive (or assign it a
letter etc), but it has been detected in the device manager (which says the
new drive is working). i had thought that i might need to format the drive
before installation.

Any ideas how I can install xp onto the new drive please?

tia

kds

Unk 02-04-2004 03:03 AM

Re: HDD snag

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 02:43:18 +0000 (UTC), "king doodle squat"
<neggerscheggers@negatspam.com> wrote:

>i'm trying to re-install winxp pro onto a new HDD (Western Digital), but
>when my pc boots up i get a message in the DOS screen that says something on
>the lines of "missing NTLDR, press control alt delete to restart", which
>contiually goes back to the same message & gives me the same snag.
>
>I've now jumpered the new drive as a slave, put the original HDD back in, &
>my pc boots up fine, only i can no longer see the new drive (or assign it a
>letter etc), but it has been detected in the device manager (which says the
>new drive is working). i had thought that i might need to format the drive
>before installation.
>
>Any ideas how I can install xp onto the new drive please?
>
>tia
>
>kds

It means the boot block that initiates the Windows OS is damaged.

A quick, TEMPORY, fix is to format a floppy on a good XP machine, and
copy "Boot.ini", "Ntdetect.com", "Ntldr" to it. Boot your system with the
floppy in the drive.. For a permanent fix........

Repair the Boot Sector using the Recovery console on the CD.
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm#How to Repair the Boot Sector:
(Copy & paste the ENTIRE above line into the url box)

To repair a damaged Boot Sector, run the Recovery console from the CD. At
the command prompt type FIXBOOT and press Enter. Then answer "Y"

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

Microsoft resources:

HOW TO: Troubleshoot the "NTLDR Is Missing" Error Message in Windows 2000

You Receive an "NTLDR Is Missing" Error Message When You Start Your Computer

"NTLDR Is Missing" Error Message When You Upgrade or Install Windows XP
Over Windows 9x, or Windows ME

king doodle squat 02-04-2004 03:12 AM

Re: HDD snag

&
> >my pc boots up fine, only i can no longer see the new drive (or assign it

> >letter etc), but it has been detected in the device manager (which says

the
> >new drive is working). i had thought that i might need to format the

drive
> >before installation.
> >
> >Any ideas how I can install xp onto the new drive please?
> >
> >tia
> >
> >kds
> >

> It means the boot block that initiates the Windows OS is damaged.

If the HDD is new with no installation on it, why does it think that there
is any OS that is damaged?

Sprung 02-04-2004 04:12 AM

Re: HDD snag

what are you trying to boot to?

Another Anonymous 02-04-2004 04:26 AM

Re: HDD snag

This means that the win xp install you attempted got damaged during install.
this happens sometimes as computers do make mistakes too! Try what unk said
and you should be back in business. or try to reinstall again and it should
work. If not then theres always the chance you got a defective drive.

king doodle squat wrote:
> If the HDD is new with no installation on it, why does it think that
> there is any OS that is damaged?
>

>> A quick, TEMPORY, fix is to format a floppy on a good XP machine, and
>> copy "Boot.ini", "Ntdetect.com", "Ntldr" to it. Boot your system
>> with the floppy in the drive.. For a permanent fix........
>>
>> Repair the Boot Sector using the Recovery console on the CD.
>> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm#How to Repair the Boot
>> Sector: (Copy & paste the ENTIRE above line into the url box)
>>
>> To repair a damaged Boot Sector, run the Recovery console from the
>> CD. At the command prompt type FIXBOOT and press Enter. Then answer
>> "Y"
>>
>> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm
>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm
>>

>> Microsoft resources:
>>
>> HOW TO: Troubleshoot the "NTLDR Is Missing" Error Message in Windows
>> 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318728
>>
>> You Receive an "NTLDR Is Missing" Error Message When You Start Your
>> Computer http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=320397
>>
>> "NTLDR Is Missing" Error Message When You Upgrade or Install Windows
>> XP Over Windows 9x, or Windows ME

By *Plonk*ing me,
you hereby admit to my
victory over your dispute.

Ralph Wade Phillips 02-05-2004 02:12 AM

Re: HDD snag

Howdy!

> i'm trying to re-install winxp pro onto a new HDD (Western Digital), but
> when my pc boots up i get a message in the DOS screen that says something

on
> the lines of "missing NTLDR, press control alt delete to restart", which
> contiually goes back to the same message & gives me the same snag.

You should boot off of the install CD instead of the formatted HD.

> I've now jumpered the new drive as a slave, put the original HDD back in,

&
> my pc boots up fine, only i can no longer see the new drive (or assign it

> letter etc), but it has been detected in the device manager (which says

the
> new drive is working). i had thought that i might need to format the drive
> before installation.

You thought wrong. 'Tis best to let the installer do the formatting
for you.

> Any ideas how I can install xp onto the new drive please?

Boot off of the CD, not the HD.

RwP