Velocity Reviews

-   -   Dropped internet connection? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t192807-dropped-internet-connection.html)

Paul 02-03-2004 11:20 PM

Dropped internet connection?

Hi all,

I'm using XP pro and am on NTL broadband connection via ethernet card. While
I'm on Pc *doing* something internet connection is always on, however if I
leave PC unattended for a period of time, over 30 minutes or so, the
connection is lost. Looking at network properties in control panel, says
connection is active, but Internet Explorer & e-mail don't work. I'm using
Zone Alarm firewall, but the automatic lock is disabled, I've disabled all
power management such as hibernate function etc all to no avail. The only
way to re-establish connection is to restart PC, I'm baffled. Even if PC is
left downloading something connection is still dropped; any advice as to
where to start looking for problem much appreciated.

---

°Mike° 02-03-2004 11:35 PM

Re: Dropped internet connection?

I'd start with Zone Alarm. Try an alternative, to see if the
same thing happens.

Outpost 2.0
Outpost 1.0 (free)
www.agnitum.com/download/outpost1.html
Outpost Firewall Guide
http://outpostfirewall.com/guide/index.htm
AGNIS for Outpost: Outpost Ad Block List
http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm#Outpost

Sygate
http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf/spf_ov.htm

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:20:17 -0000, in
<T0WTb.2644$tV2.728@newsfep3-gui.server.ntli.net>
Paul scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Trax 02-03-2004 11:42 PM

Re: Dropped internet connection?

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:20:17 -0000, "Paul"
<paul.thompsonNOSPAM30@ntlworld.com> wrote:

|>Hi all,
|>
|>I'm using XP pro and am on NTL broadband connection via ethernet card. While
|>I'm on Pc *doing* something internet connection is always on, however if I
|>leave PC unattended for a period of time, over 30 minutes or so, the
|>connection is lost. Looking at network properties in control panel, says
|>connection is active, but Internet Explorer & e-mail don't work. I'm using
|>Zone Alarm firewall, but the automatic lock is disabled, I've disabled all
|>power management such as hibernate function etc all to no avail. The only
|>way to re-establish connection is to restart PC, I'm baffled. Even if PC is
|>left downloading something connection is still dropped; any advice as to
|>where to start looking for problem much appreciated.

Try this:
Start > Run, type in telephon.cpl <enter>
Modems > Properties > Diagnostics

View the log.

(I'm getting alot of use out of that copy and paste lately)
--
,,
( "> w

Trax 02-03-2004 11:50 PM

Re: Dropped internet connection?

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:20:17 -0000, "Paul"
<paul.thompsonNOSPAM30@ntlworld.com> wrote:
<Resent>

|>Hi all,
|>
|>I'm using XP pro and am on NTL broadband connection via ethernet card. While
|>I'm on Pc *doing* something internet connection is always on, however if I
|>leave PC unattended for a period of time, over 30 minutes or so, the
|>connection is lost. Looking at network properties in control panel, says
|>connection is active, but Internet Explorer & e-mail don't work. I'm using
|>Zone Alarm firewall, but the automatic lock is disabled, I've disabled all
|>power management such as hibernate function etc all to no avail. The only
|>way to re-establish connection is to restart PC, I'm baffled. Even if PC is
|>left downloading something connection is still dropped; any advice as to
|>where to start looking for problem much appreciated.

I deleted a post which referred to a modem log. On the same vein is
there any feature:

Network and Dial-up connections > properties of your broadband and a
log of some sort (search around)?

It should tell you what's going on.
--
,,

cteq 02-04-2004 12:40 AM

Re: Dropped internet connection?

Hi

I am getting exactly the same but over wireless. only way to get back
in is to reboot.

cant get any sense out of NTL support.

TIA

cteq 02-05-2004 01:43 PM

Re: Dropped internet connection?

I have spokent to SMC's tech support. They asked me if I can add the
gateway address to trusted site in the Zonealarm and that seems to
have done trick so far.