Velocity Reviews

-   -   Help. My PC is behaving strangely (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t192558-help-my-pc-is-behaving-strangely.html)

kackson 02-01-2004 09:15 AM

Help. My PC is behaving strangely

Hi.
My PC was used by my cousins in the past few days. I dont know what
they've installed. But now, it is behaving very strangely. I cannot
access a number of .org website for my work. Website such as
sourceforge.net, wincvs.org all end with an error that says
"connection closed by remote server". I thought the websites were
down. But its been 2 days and I still get the same error. And I've
also problem in accessing the new york times online. It will report
that unauthorized access even though I've been accessing the services
to read my online news for months! (I can access to the fron page of
nytimes.com. But when I click on the individual news, it will report
unauthorized access even though on the front page it clearly
recognized and written my name as the user) I think something has been
installed on my PC but I have no idea! Please help. I've to do my work
and I cant work if I cant access the website such as sourceforge.net
etc. Has anyone has similar experience? Is this some kind of trojan
horse or boot sector virus or somethign else. Any help is deeply
appreciated. Thank you!!

John and Pat Ochenduszko 02-01-2004 12:16 PM

Re: Help. My PC is behaving strangely

"kackson" <kackson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:90250227.0402010115.305727b5@posting.google.c om...
> Hi.
> My PC was used by my cousins in the past few days. I dont know what
> they've installed. But now, it is behaving very strangely. I cannot
> access a number of .org website for my work. Website such as
> sourceforge.net, wincvs.org all end with an error that says
> "connection closed by remote server". I thought the websites were

text cut

It might help knowing which Operating System you are running. Have you run a
virus checker and programs such as AdAware or Spybot? If running XP have you
tried a system restore to a time before your dear cousins have worked their
brand of computer "tweaking"? As far as the NY Times is concerned, it sounds
as if they have deleted your cookies and the Times does not recognize you as
a registered user. Have you tried to either relog on or reregistering? Also
be aware that the Times is having some problems as of late and those
unauthorized errors are being looked at by their webmaster (or so the error
message states).

Regards,
John O.

Penna Elabi 02-01-2004 03:45 PM

kackson@yahoo.com (kackson) wrote in message news:<90250227.0402010115.305727b5@posting.google. com>...

> My PC was used by my cousins in the past few days. I dont know what
> they've installed. But now, it is behaving very strangely. I cannot
> access a number of .org website for my work. Website such as
> sourceforge.net, wincvs.org all end with an error that says
> "connection closed by remote server".

Try CWShredder to remove the possible CoolWebSearch browser hijacker:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/c...tml#cwshredder

Then try to use other spyware/adware removers. Some popular
spyware/adware removers are for example Ad-aware, Spybot
Search&Destroy, Spy Sweeper, and PestPatrol. You should update the
programs before you use them:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
http://www.safer-networking.org/
http://www.spysweeper.com/
http://www.pestpatrol.com/
http://directory.google.com/Top/Comp...rity_Scanners/

To prevent new spyware to be installed to your computer, update your
Windows frequently to remove the latest security holes so there's a
smaller probability to get new spyware to your computer:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Then you could install SpywareBlaster, which prevents some of the
common spyware software from being installed:

Other tips:

Use an up-to-date virus scanner and a firewall, and don't go to
suspicious web pages.