Velocity Reviews

-   -   re-install (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t192485-re-install.html)

tomm 01-31-2004 03:25 PM

re-install

When I had win 98 I used to correct some probs by re-installing windows over
the original (rather than a clean re-install). How do I do this in xp?
Is it the same method? When I get to the option screen about formatting the
drive, is there an option NOT to format, but just to re-install over the
original?
I tried the repair option but this took mne to a screen asking for a
password.
Anyhow I prefer to re-install XP if I can

---

Robert 01-31-2004 03:39 PM

Re: re-install

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:25:19 -0000, "tomm" <1239@mail.com> wrote:

>When I had win 98 I used to correct some probs by re-installing windows over
>the original (rather than a clean re-install). How do I do this in xp?
>Is it the same method? When I get to the option screen about formatting the
>drive, is there an option NOT to format, but just to re-install over the
>original?
> I tried the repair option but this took mne to a screen asking for a
>password.
>Anyhow I prefer to re-install XP if I can
>

>---

Try system restore I had to reinstall and I had to repartition the
drives

tomm 01-31-2004 04:58 PM

Re: re-install

I can`t go back. System restore says it is not possible no matter which
restore point I pick

> Try system restore I had to reinstall and I had to repartition the
> drives

---

Abbyss 01-31-2004 05:36 PM

Re: re-install

Hi!

No problem. Just run setup from CD (winnt or winnt32 from i386 on the CD)
and choose "upgrade".

Regards
Abbyss

tomm 01-31-2004 05:56 PM

Re: re-install

I don`t wan`t to upgrade from win 98.
I want to re-install xp over my original
"Abbyss" <no-spam-abbyss@nomail.no> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> No problem. Just run setup from CD (winnt or winnt32 from i386 on the CD)
> and choose "upgrade".
>
> Regards
> Abbyss
>

> "tomm" <1239@mail.com> skrev i melding
> > When I had win 98 I used to correct some probs by re-installing windows

> over
> > the original (rather than a clean re-install). How do I do this in xp?
> > Is it the same method? When I get to the option screen about formatting

> the
> > drive, is there an option NOT to format, but just to re-install over the
> > original?
> > I tried the repair option but this took mne to a screen asking for a
> > password.
> > Anyhow I prefer to re-install XP if I can
> >

> > ---

---

Abbyss 01-31-2004 06:02 PM

Re: re-install

Aaaaaa!

Ok, but, you can not do that. You can not upgrade form 98 to XP. Backup you'
re personal files, e-mail addresses, favourites an so on. Then do a CLEAN
install of XP.

tomm 01-31-2004 06:26 PM

Re: re-install

hang on.....
I have XP installed ( I should never have mentioned win 98!)
All I want to do is re-install XP over my original XP to see if it would
clear up a few probs..
> Aaaaaa!
>
> Ok, but, you can not do that. You can not upgrade form 98 to XP. Backup

you'
> re personal files, e-mail addresses, favourites an so on. Then do a CLEAN
> install of XP.
>
> Regards
> Abbyss
>

> "tomm" <1239@mail.com> skrev i melding
> > I don`t wan`t to upgrade from win 98.
> > I want to re-install xp over my original
> > "Abbyss" <no-spam-abbyss@nomail.no> wrote in message
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > No problem. Just run setup from CD (winnt or winnt32 from i386 on the

> CD)
> > > and choose "upgrade".
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Abbyss
> > >

> > > "tomm" <1239@mail.com> skrev i melding

> windows
> > > over

xp?

> formatting
> > > the

> the

> > ---

---

°Mike° 01-31-2004 06:44 PM

Re: re-install

Boot from the XP CD. Choose a new install, and the setup
should find your current version and perform a repair.

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:26:25 -0000, in
<401bf34a$0$13347$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>
tomm scrawled:

>hang on.....
> I have XP installed ( I should never have mentioned win 98!)
>All I want to do is re-install XP over my original XP to see if it would
>clear up a few probs..

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Liz 01-31-2004 06:55 PM

Re: re-install

"tomm" <1239@mail.com> wrote:
> hang on.....
> I have XP installed ( I should never have mentioned win 98!)
> All I want to do is re-install XP over my original XP to see if it would
> clear up a few probs..

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q315341

If you want to prevent at least some activation headaches, you can make
a backup copy of Wpa.dbl, a tiny file stored in the %\SystemRoot%\System32
folder. This file contains the hardware "fingerprint" information used to determine
whether activation is required. If you need to reinstall XP on a system that
has already been activated, you can restore this file and bypass the need for
activation--if your hardware hasn't changed appreciably since the original activation.
Windows also creates a backup copy of this file, called Wpa.bak, at startup.
This backup copy can be lifesaver if you encounter problems after a hardware
upgrade. If Windows refuses to run because your new hardware has triggered
the activation code, you may be able to recover using this workaround:
Restore your old hardware, start your computer in safe Mode, and rename
Wpa.bak to Wpa.dbl. If all goes as it should, you will be reactivated and able
to continue working.

In addition, if you purchase a new computers on which Windows XP is
preinstalled, the activation process may have been completed before delivery.
Copies of Windows sold this way are frequently tied via software to the
BIOS of that computer. You may reinstall that copy of Windows XP an
unlimited number of times on the computer it came with, regardless of how
many upgrades you make.

Liz 01-31-2004 07:47 PM

Re: re-install

Backup / Restore XP Activation