Velocity Reviews

-   -   firewalls (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t192429-firewalls.html)

Dan Welch 01-30-2004 09:30 PM

firewalls

Evening all,
I run Win XP home edition which of course has a built-in firewall. With this
being the case, is it still necessary to have another firewall -
specifically, Zone Alarm? I only ask as we have two networked computers at
home (using internet connection sharing), the connection is not supported by
Z Alarm, I wondered what kind of threat my computer was under when we're
both online and Z Alarm's down.
cheers
dan

Harrison 01-30-2004 10:30 PM

Re: firewalls

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...c_firewall.htm

Dan Welch 01-30-2004 10:46 PM

Re: firewalls

<Harrison> wrote in message
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...c_firewall.htm
>
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:30:55 -0000, "Dan Welch"
> <danielwelch@lineone.net> wrote:
>
> >Evening all,
> >I run Win XP home edition which of course has a built-in firewall. With

this
> >being the case, is it still necessary to have another firewall -
> >specifically, Zone Alarm? I only ask as we have two networked computers

at
> >home (using internet connection sharing), the connection is not supported

by
> >Z Alarm, I wondered what kind of threat my computer was under when we're
> >both online and Z Alarm's down.
> >cheers
> >dan

Thanks for that, however, I have no problem with running the XP / ME network
with the XP firewall enabled - it's the XP machine that connects to the
Internet, the ME machine connects via the mini network and Internet
Connection sharing. Have no real problem with file / printer sharing within
the network.
My question was about Internet security using the XP firewall only rather
than third party software like Zone Alarm, which *does* interfere with my
home network.
cheers
dan

Harrison 01-30-2004 10:52 PM

Re: firewalls

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:46:16 -0000, "Dan Welch"
<danielwelch@lineone.net> wrote:

><Harrison> wrote in message
>news:gnml105c7i69h73t793ahae5erq9kcp6at@4ax.com.. .
>> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...c_firewall.htm
>>
>> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:30:55 -0000, "Dan Welch"
>> <danielwelch@lineone.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Evening all,
>> >I run Win XP home edition which of course has a built-in firewall. With

>this
>> >being the case, is it still necessary to have another firewall -
>> >specifically, Zone Alarm? I only ask as we have two networked computers

>at
>> >home (using internet connection sharing), the connection is not supported

>by
>> >Z Alarm, I wondered what kind of threat my computer was under when we're
>> >both online and Z Alarm's down.
>> >cheers
>> >dan
>> >

>Thanks for that, however, I have no problem with running the XP / ME network
>with the XP firewall enabled - it's the XP machine that connects to the
>Internet, the ME machine connects via the mini network and Internet
>Connection sharing. Have no real problem with file / printer sharing within
>the network.
>My question was about Internet security using the XP firewall only rather
>than third party software like Zone Alarm, which *does* interfere with my
>home network.
>cheers
>dan

From the text, "Windows XP's Internet Connection Firewall (ICF)
protects your network against undesired incoming traffic from the
Internet -- everything from casual port scans by bored teenagers to
serious break-in attempts by determined hackers. ICF creates a
protective barrier between your network and the Internet, only passing
through traffic that you've requested."

In other words, ICF is an ample firewall for most situations.

Senti 01-30-2004 11:16 PM

Re: firewalls

Harrison did mumble d0ol10h4dsbbth18hrq5rduarup6iv1ljc@4ax.com...

> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:46:16 -0000, "Dan Welch"
> <danielwelch@lineone.net> wrote:
>

>> <Harrison> wrote in message
>>> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...c_firewall.htm

>> Thanks for that, however, I have no problem with running the XP / ME
>> network with the XP firewall enabled - it's the XP machine that
>> connects to the Internet, the ME machine connects via the mini
>> network and Internet Connection sharing. Have no real problem with
>> file / printer sharing within the network.
>> My question was about Internet security using the XP firewall only
>> rather than third party software like Zone Alarm, which *does*
>> interfere with my home network.
>> cheers
>> dan

> From the text, "Windows XP's Internet Connection Firewall (ICF)
> protects your network against undesired incoming traffic from the
> Internet -- everything from casual port scans by bored teenagers to
> serious break-in attempts by determined hackers. ICF creates a
> protective barrier between your network and the Internet, only passing
> through traffic that you've requested."
>
> In other words, ICF is an ample firewall for most situations.

However, XP's firewall is a one-way barrier. It only protects against
"attacks" coming into the computer. It won't block any outging requests
that a virus/trojan/worm may attempt to make.
--
~SF~
Things will get better -- despite our efforts to improve them. -Will

Harrison 01-30-2004 11:32 PM

Re: firewalls

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:16:19 -0600, "Senti"
<sentientfluid@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Harrison did mumble d0ol10h4dsbbth18hrq5rduarup6iv1ljc@4ax.com...
>
>> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:46:16 -0000, "Dan Welch"
>> <danielwelch@lineone.net> wrote:
>>

>>> <Harrison> wrote in message

>>> Thanks for that, however, I have no problem with running the XP / ME
>>> network with the XP firewall enabled - it's the XP machine that
>>> connects to the Internet, the ME machine connects via the mini
>>> network and Internet Connection sharing. Have no real problem with
>>> file / printer sharing within the network.
>>> My question was about Internet security using the XP firewall only
>>> rather than third party software like Zone Alarm, which *does*
>>> interfere with my home network.
>>> cheers
>>> dan

>> From the text, "Windows XP's Internet Connection Firewall (ICF)
>> protects your network against undesired incoming traffic from the
>> Internet -- everything from casual port scans by bored teenagers to
>> serious break-in attempts by determined hackers. ICF creates a
>> protective barrier between your network and the Internet, only passing
>> through traffic that you've requested."
>>
>> In other words, ICF is an ample firewall for most situations.

>However, XP's firewall is a one-way barrier. It only protects against
>"attacks" coming into the computer. It won't block any outging requests
>that a virus/trojan/worm may attempt to make.

Very true. Therefore, XP's firewall, coupled with a good antivirus
solution should be all that's needed.

Sultan 01-31-2004 12:28 AM

Re: firewalls

Dan Welch wrote in news:401adebe$1_3@mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com:

> <Harrison> wrote in message
>> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...c_firewall.htm
>>
>> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:30:55 -0000, "Dan Welch"
>> <danielwelch@lineone.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Evening all,
>> >I run Win XP home edition which of course has a built-in firewall.
>> >With

> this
>> >being the case, is it still necessary to have another firewall -
>> >specifically, Zone Alarm? I only ask as we have two networked
>> >computers

> at
>> >home (using internet connection sharing), the connection is not
>> >supported

> by
>> >Z Alarm, I wondered what kind of threat my computer was under when
>> >we're both online and Z Alarm's down.
>> >cheers
>> >dan
>> >

> Thanks for that, however, I have no problem with running the XP / ME
> network with the XP firewall enabled - it's the XP machine that
> connects to the Internet, the ME machine connects via the mini network
> and Internet Connection sharing. Have no real problem with file /
> printer sharing within the network.
> My question was about Internet security using the XP firewall only
> rather than third party software like Zone Alarm, which *does*
> interfere with my home network.
> cheers
> dan

Zone Alarm, when properly configured, will not "interfere" with your home
network. It runs with nary a problem on mine.

Sultan

Dan Welch 02-01-2004 06:03 PM

Re: firewalls

"Sultan" <sultanofcyber@nospam.xyz> wrote in message
news:Xns9480BBDB4A739sultanofcyberhotmail@209.25.1 57.130...
> Dan Welch wrote in news:401adebe$1_3@mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com:

> Zone Alarm, when properly configured, will not "interfere" with your home
> network. It runs with nary a problem on mine.
>
> Sultan

Ah, but I have the cheap free version, not ZA Pro - from what I remember
when I was setting up our home network ZA specifically stated in a help file
that it was incompatible with XP networking, to do that you needed ZA Pro.
Cheers
dan

Dan Welch 02-01-2004 06:04 PM

Re: firewalls

<Harrison> wrote in message
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:16:19 -0600, "Senti"
> <sentientfluid@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Harrison did mumble d0ol10h4dsbbth18hrq5rduarup6iv1ljc@4ax.com...
> >

> >However, XP's firewall is a one-way barrier. It only protects against
> >"attacks" coming into the computer. It won't block any outging requests
> >that a virus/trojan/worm may attempt to make.

> Very true. Therefore, XP's firewall, coupled with a good antivirus
> solution should be all that's needed.

Excellent. Thanks for your help.
cheers
dan