Velocity Reviews

-   -   Error in Outlook (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t192353-error-in-outlook.html)

mickcant 01-29-2004 08:57 PM

Error in Outlook

Hi all,
I have been using "Outlook" for my e-mail for around three years,
suddenly today it would not open and this error message appeard,

Unable to display the folder, Errors have been dected in the
fileC:\Documents and settings\Mr Cant\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook,pst, Quit all mail-enabled applications, and
then use the Inbox Repair Tool.

I put "Inbox Repair Tool" in the help box, and this came up:
About the Inbox repair tool
If you can't open your Personal Folders file (.pst) or Offline Folder file
(.ost) file, or you suspect that your .pst or .ost data file is corrupt, you
can use Scanpst.exe, the Inbox repair tool, to diagnose and repair errors in
the file. Scanpst.exe scans only the .pst or.ost file, making sure that the
file structure is intact. It doesn't scan your mailbox on the Microsoft
Exchange server.

Scanpst.exe is installed when you install Microsoft Outlook and is located
at:

drive:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\

For detailed information about running the tool, see the Help file,
Scanpst.hlp, at the same location.

Note Use Scanost.exe, the .ost integrity check tool, if you get error
messages when you synchronize your .ost file with the Exchange server.

***********

I have been able to switch to Outlook Express, but all my mail saved mail
and contacts are in Outlook!

can anyone help please, in an easy way for me to follow?

Thanks,

mick cant.

°Mike° 01-29-2004 09:11 PM

Re: Error in Outlook

Close Outlook and Outlook Express. Navigate to the
folder that the help file told you to, and double click
the Scanpst.exe file.

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 20:57:33 -0000, in
<1075410009.39411.0@iris.uk.clara.net>
"mickcant" <mickcant[nospam]@clara.co.uk> scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

mickcant 01-29-2004 09:50 PM

Re: Error in Outlook

Hi Mike,
Thanks for quick reply,
sorry to sound thick, but how do I navigate to the folder?
mick
cant.

Liz 01-29-2004 09:52 PM

Re: Error in Outlook

Outlook doesn't start
http://www.sparnaaij.net/Faq/outlookdoesntstart.htm

°Mike° 01-29-2004 10:00 PM

Re: Error in Outlook

In Windows Explorer. Please don't tell me you don't
know how to use Windows Explorer.

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:50:04 -0000, in
<1075413010.21912.0@nnrp-t71-01.news.uk.clara.net>
"mickcant" <mickcant[nospam]@clara.co.uk> scrawled:

>Hi Mike,
> Thanks for quick reply,
>sorry to sound thick, but how do I navigate to the folder?
> mick

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

John Holmes 01-29-2004 11:21 PM

Re: Error in Outlook

mickcant came up with this:

> sorry to sound thick, but how do I navigate to the folder?

You /are/ joking, right?

--
Somebody is watching you.

-John Holmes-

Max 01-29-2004 11:51 PM

Re: Error in Outlook

"mickcant" <mickcant[nospam]@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi Mike,
> Thanks for quick reply,
> sorry to sound thick, but how do I navigate to the folder?
> mick
> cant.
> "°Mike°" <ZHNTPDWBLECA@fcnzzbgry.pbz> wrote in message
> > Close Outlook and Outlook Express. Navigate to the
> > folder that the help file told you to, and double click
> > the Scanpst.exe file.
> >

> > On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 20:57:33 -0000, in
> > <1075410009.39411.0@iris.uk.clara.net>
> > "mickcant" <mickcant[nospam]@clara.co.uk> scrawled:
> >
> > >Hi all,
> > >I have been using "Outlook" for my e-mail for around three years,
> > >suddenly today it would not open and this error message appeard,
> > >
> > >Unable to display the folder, Errors have been dected in the
> > >fileC:\Documents and settings\Mr Cant\Local Settings\Application
> > >Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook,pst, Quit all mail-enabled applications,

> and
> > >then use the Inbox Repair Tool.
> > >
> > >I put "Inbox Repair Tool" in the help box, and this came up:
> > >About the Inbox repair tool
> > >If you can't open your Personal Folders file (.pst) or Offline Folder

> file
> > >(.ost) file, or you suspect that your .pst or .ost data file is

corrupt,
> you
> > >can use Scanpst.exe, the Inbox repair tool, to diagnose and repair

errors
> in
> > >the file. Scanpst.exe scans only the .pst or.ost file, making sure that

> the
> > >file structure is intact. It doesn't scan your mailbox on the Microsoft
> > >Exchange server.
> > >
> > >Scanpst.exe is installed when you install Microsoft Outlook and is

> located
> > >at:
> > >
> > >drive:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\
> > >
> > >For detailed information about running the tool, see the Help file,
> > >Scanpst.hlp, at the same location.
> > >
> > >Note Use Scanost.exe, the .ost integrity check tool, if you get error
> > >messages when you synchronize your .ost file with the Exchange server.
> > >
> > > ***********
> > >
> > >I have been able to switch to Outlook Express, but all my mail saved

mail
> > >and contacts are in Outlook!
> > >
> > >can anyone help please, in an easy way for me to follow?
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> > >
> > > mick cant.
> > >

> > --
> > Basic computer maintenance

Click Start > Then FIND or Search > Click on Files or folders

Type in scanpst.exe and then hit find now.

Double click scanpst.exe when it appears.

It will ask you to put in the location of your pst file, give it these
details and then click start.

It will then take you through the process.

Good luck

Max

mickcant 01-30-2004 10:17 AM

Re: Error in Outlook

Max said,

> Click Start > Then FIND or Search > Click on Files or folders
>
> Type in scanpst.exe and then hit find now.
>
> Double click scanpst.exe when it appears.
>
> It will ask you to put in the location of your pst file, give it these
> details and then click start.
>
> It will then take you through the process.
>
> Good luck
>
> Max

************
Thanks Max, and all for help so far!
the search came up with two files:
SCANPST.EXE-0126BDCB,pf in: C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch Size: 15 KB Type: PF
File
SCANPST in: C:\Program Files\Common
Files...Size: 312 KB Type: Application

But when trying to use the Inbox Repair Tool, the top one comes up Windows
cannot open
and the bottom one, The fileC:\Program Files\Common Files\System\
Map\1033\Scanpst.exe is in use by anouther application,
close Microsoft Outlook and all other mail-enabled applications, and try
again.

after making sure all is close and rebooting the same error comes up!

Any futher help please,
ick Cant

Liz 01-30-2004 09:17 PM

Re: Error in Outlook

"mickcant" wrote:

> the search came up with two files:
> SCANPST.EXE-0126BDCB,pf in: C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch
> Size: 15 KB Type: PF File
> SCANPST in: C:\Program Files\Common Files...
> Size: 312 KB Type: Application
>
> But when trying to use the Inbox Repair Tool,
> the top one comes up Windows cannot open

The top one is a prefetch file. The Prefetcher component
is part of the Memory Manager, and helps to shorten the amount
of time it takes to start Windows and programs.

When a program is launched, Windows XP monitors the files that
are used, and by monitoring these files, XP can prefetch them.
So the next time the application is accessed, Windows prefetches
the necessary files to expedite the application's launch.

By the way, the filename of the "Inbox Repair Tool" is
called "SCANPST.EXE".

> and the bottom one, The fileC:\Program Files\Common Files\System\
> Map\1033\Scanpst.exe is in use by anouther application,
> close Microsoft Outlook and all other mail-enabled applications,
> and try again.

Make sure nothing is accessing your PST file before you
run scanpst.exe. Close Outlook, press Ctrl+Alt+ Delete to
open the Task Manager, look for any instances of Outlook.exe
and mapisp32.exe, click End Task on each one.

Repairing your Outlook 2000
http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/...l#anchor293833

After this, run Help> Detect and Repair from any Office application.
Perform a general Disk Maintenance, clear out the temp folders, run scandisk
and defrag. If you continue to have trouble with Outlook, try:

mickcant 01-30-2004 10:58 PM

Re: Error in Outlook

Thank you very much Liz, and all
will give it a good go.