Velocity Reviews

-   -   Virus updating (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t192284-virus-updating.html)

LRatley104 01-29-2004 02:05 AM

Virus updating

I know people here are not fond of McAfee,but maybe someone will advise me
anyway as I am giving it a 30 day trial. When I came online tonight, it
started updating. Said it was downloading for about 10 minutes. Now the
little green arrow in the tray is still blinking and it says it is installing.
It's been doing this for 2 hours.Also usually when it installs it disables
itself and the red M in the tray turns black. This has not happened tonight.
I don't want to stay online all night with this. Is it ok just to sign off and
forget it or what would you do?

Jerry G. 01-29-2004 02:22 AM

Re: Virus updating

I have a feeling something got hung up, as like many software's do. McAfee
was taken over by another company. I think it is now Network Associates.
They are very good from what I have heard.

I myself have used McAfee on my computers here at home, and have no problems
with it. When Internet Explorer 6.xx was first released, McAfee virus scan
had some bugs with it. They made the fix in a very short while.

From my personal experience, and what I see with our clients, McAfee has
been working well without any faults that I can complain about. I also found
Norton's antivirus, and also the one from Grisoft to be excellent. I would
think that if you stay with any of the well known names there should not be
any problems. The way that these programs work, I am under the impression
that in the background these companies are all working together to help each
other with their data files, even though they are very completive in their
sales. They seem to be up to date with each other most of the time. They
all offer very good service as well.

The only complaint I have about McAfee is that when I visit their site, they
are very heavy on advertising, large banners, and promoting many gadget
utilities that I would never be interested in.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

Sultan 01-29-2004 02:30 AM

Re: Virus updating

LRatley104 wrote in news:20040128210535.24705.00000983@mb-m13.aol.com:

> I know people here are not fond of McAfee,but maybe someone will
> advise me anyway as I am giving it a 30 day trial. When I came online
> tonight, it started updating. Said it was downloading for about 10
> minutes. Now the little green arrow in the tray is still blinking and
> it says it is installing. It's been doing this for 2 hours.Also
> usually when it installs it disables itself and the red M in the tray
> turns black. This has not happened tonight. I don't want to stay
> online all night with this. Is it ok just to sign off and forget it
> or what would you do?

If you don't want to stay online, don't. If it balks you just need to make
it wait until next time your on the net with more time to spare for it.

Sultan