Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   How does one test an ADSL modem? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t192196-how-does-one-test-an-adsl-modem.html)

Jimmy Dean 01-28-2004 01:57 AM

How does one test an ADSL modem?
 
The old serial modems were easily tested in Control Panel, Modems,
Diagnostics, More Info but how does one test an ADSL modem? They are
not included in Control Panel AFAIK.

For that matter, is there any standard procedure for manually
installing an ADSL modem? i.e not using the supplied CD.The few
procedures I have seen seem to vary widely.

thanx
jd

philo 01-28-2004 02:02 AM

Re: How does one test an ADSL modem?
 

"Jimmy Dean" <jdean@nowhere.xzy> wrote in message
news:ii5e10ljf9160v97g3mfrsdge7o30fmd9g@4ax.com...
> The old serial modems were easily tested in Control Panel, Modems,
> Diagnostics, More Info but how does one test an ADSL modem? They are
> not included in Control Panel AFAIK.
>
> For that matter, is there any standard procedure for manually
> installing an ADSL modem? i.e not using the supplied CD.The few
> procedures I have seen seem to vary widely.
>
> thanx
> jd



I check mine by entering 192.168.1.1 into my browser



toyalP2 01-28-2004 07:16 AM

Re: How does one test an ADSL modem?
 
You can do a ping from a dos prompt.
Start-Run-cmd-OK and at the dos prompt type ping 192.168.0.1 (if this is
your IP, if not change it)
If you want to check the download and upload speeds you can go to:
www.dslreports.com
You can get a lot of info about your system there.
There's a small program that you can download to check your IP, is the
good old Winpconfig that XP don't have, you can download it at
microsoft, if you can't find it there get it at the link site in my
signature.

good luck
--
For help, downloads and fun: http://www.my-forums.com

Boomer 01-28-2004 07:40 AM

Re: How does one test an ADSL modem?
 
toyalP2, <toyalp2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> You can do a ping from a dos prompt.
> Start-Run-cmd-OK and at the dos prompt type ping 192.168.0.1 (if
> this is your IP, if not change it)
> If you want to check the download and upload speeds you can go
> to: www.dslreports.com
> You can get a lot of info about your system there.
> There's a small program that you can download to check your IP,
> is the good old Winpconfig that XP don't have, you can download
> it at microsoft, if you can't find it there get it at the link
> site in my signature.
>
> good luck


Hi
Could you please include some of the message you are responding to,
in your reply?

It makes it difficult to follow a thread when you write a reply and
others
have no clue on what the question or discussion was about.

Further info:
http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote2.html
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting.html

Thank You Very Much :-)

Flaccid 01-28-2004 09:28 AM

Re: How does one test an ADSL modem?
 
Boomer wrote:
> toyalP2, <toyalp2@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> You can do a ping from a dos prompt.
>> Start-Run-cmd-OK and at the dos prompt type ping 192.168.0.1 (if
>> this is your IP, if not change it)
>> If you want to check the download and upload speeds you can go
>> to: www.dslreports.com
>> You can get a lot of info about your system there.
>> There's a small program that you can download to check your IP,
>> is the good old Winpconfig that XP don't have, you can download
>> it at microsoft, if you can't find it there get it at the link
>> site in my signature.
>>
>> good luck

>
> Hi
> Could you please include some of the message you are responding to,
> in your reply?
>
> It makes it difficult to follow a thread when you write a reply and
> others
> have no clue on what the question or discussion was about.
>
> Further info:
> http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote2.html
> http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting.html
>
> Thank You Very Much :-)


I assumed he was replying to the subject... makes perfect sense.




Jimmy Dean 01-29-2004 03:21 AM

Re: How does one test an ADSL modem?
 
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:02:20 -0600, "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote:

>
>"Jimmy Dean" <jdean@nowhere.xzy> wrote in message
>news:ii5e10ljf9160v97g3mfrsdge7o30fmd9g@4ax.com.. .
>> The old serial modems were easily tested in Control Panel, Modems,
>> Diagnostics, More Info but how does one test an ADSL modem? They are
>> not included in Control Panel AFAIK.
>>
>> For that matter, is there any standard procedure for manually
>> installing an ADSL modem? i.e not using the supplied CD.The few
>> procedures I have seen seem to vary widely.
>>
>> thanx
>> jd

>
>
>I check mine by entering 192.168.1.1 into my browser


Thanx, that makes sense.

jd


Sano 01-29-2004 11:22 AM

Re: How does one test an ADSL modem?
 
- "Flaccid" <flaccid@flaccid.com> - spluttered in news:bv7vbj$ohf6k$1@ID-
200043.news.uni-berlin.de:

> Boomer wrote:
>> toyalP2, <toyalp2@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You can do a ping from a dos prompt.
>>> Start-Run-cmd-OK and at the dos prompt type ping 192.168.0.1 (if
>>> this is your IP, if not change it)
>>> If you want to check the download and upload speeds you can go
>>> to: www.dslreports.com
>>> You can get a lot of info about your system there.
>>> There's a small program that you can download to check your IP,
>>> is the good old Winpconfig that XP don't have, you can download
>>> it at microsoft, if you can't find it there get it at the link
>>> site in my signature.
>>>
>>> good luck

>>
>> Hi
>> Could you please include some of the message you are responding to,
>> in your reply?
>>
>> It makes it difficult to follow a thread when you write a reply and
>> others
>> have no clue on what the question or discussion was about.
>>
>> Further info:
>> http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote2.html
>> http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting.html
>>
>> Thank You Very Much :-)

>
> I assumed he was replying to the subject... makes perfect sense.


Except that he left out the previous poster's solution, that's all.

Makes perfectly no sense to me.

It was also actually misposted. Replies are to a poster, not the F-ing
thread. If a server drops a post, the thread turns to crap, eh?

--
* Would somebody
please poke holes in
the top of my jar?

John 01-29-2004 12:18 PM

Re: How does one test an ADSL modem?
 
Sano wrote:
> - "Flaccid" <flaccid@flaccid.com> - spluttered in
> news:bv7vbj$ohf6k$1@ID- 200043.news.uni-berlin.de:
>
>> Boomer wrote:
>>> toyalP2, <toyalp2@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> You can do a ping from a dos prompt.
>>>> Start-Run-cmd-OK and at the dos prompt type ping 192.168.0.1 (if
>>>> this is your IP, if not change it)
>>>> If you want to check the download and upload speeds you can go
>>>> to: www.dslreports.com
>>>> You can get a lot of info about your system there.
>>>> There's a small program that you can download to check your IP,
>>>> is the good old Winpconfig that XP don't have, you can download
>>>> it at microsoft, if you can't find it there get it at the link
>>>> site in my signature.
>>>>
>>>> good luck
>>>
>>> Hi
>>> Could you please include some of the message you are responding to,
>>> in your reply?
>>>
>>> It makes it difficult to follow a thread when you write a reply and
>>> others
>>> have no clue on what the question or discussion was about.
>>>
>>> Further info:
>>> http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote2.html
>>> http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting.html
>>>
>>> Thank You Very Much :-)

>>
>> I assumed he was replying to the subject... makes perfect sense.

>
> Except that he left out the previous poster's solution, that's all.
>
> Makes perfectly no sense to me.
>
> It was also actually misposted. Replies are to a poster, not the F-ing
> thread. If a server drops a post, the thread turns to crap, eh?


His reply had nothing to do with another post -- it was a standalone reply.




Sano 01-30-2004 03:31 AM

Re: How does one test an ADSL modem?
 
- "John" <abuse@hotmail.com> - spluttered in
news:bvatmh$q2n8v$1@ID-200043.news.uni-berlin.de:

>>
>> It was also actually misposted. Replies are to a poster, not the
>> F-ing thread. If a server drops a post, the thread turns to crap,
>> eh?

>
> His reply had nothing to do with another post -- it was a standalone
> reply.
>
>


<Plonk> Please learn to read.

--
* Would somebody
please poke holes in
the top of my jar?


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.