Velocity Reviews

-   -   A Fatal Exception (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t192128-a-fatal-exception.html)

Phyllis 01-27-2004 03:43 AM

A Fatal Exception

Hi,

I use Windows 98 and my problem first devloped over the weekend. When I go
to shutdown the computer, I get a blue screen that says:

A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:FF03A1DA in VXD uhcd (01)
+000004BA: The current application will be terminated.

I get this error everytime and what this entails is, my screen goes blue
with message above. It says ctrl, alt, delete or press any key. Of course
when I choose ctrl, alt, delete it reboots back up. If I hit any key my
screen goes black with dots. The only way to turn off the computer is by
the power cord at the wall. Needless to say, since it has been shut down
improperly my c: drive gets scanned when I turn it back on. I'm afraid
these occurence in time will really corrupt other things and I'll have big
problems unless I can get a remedy to my problem. Can anyone help me with
this?

TIA,
Phyllis

ICee 01-27-2004 04:04 AM

Re: A Fatal Exception

Phyllis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use Windows 98 and my problem first devloped over the weekend.
> When I go to shutdown the computer, I get a blue screen that says:
>
> A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:FF03A1DA in VXD uhcd (01)
> +000004BA: The current application will be terminated.
>
> I get this error everytime and what this entails is, my screen goes
> blue with message above. It says ctrl, alt, delete or press any key.
> Of course when I choose ctrl, alt, delete it reboots back up. If I
> hit any key my screen goes black with dots. The only way to turn off
> the computer is by the power cord at the wall. Needless to say,
> since it has been shut down improperly my c: drive gets scanned when
> I turn it back on. I'm afraid these occurence in time will really
> corrupt other things and I'll have big problems unless I can get a
> remedy to my problem. Can anyone help me with this?
>
> TIA,
> Phyllis

The 'VXD UHCD' in the error indicates a USB driver problem. Do you have
any USB devices connected to the computer? The system may need an
updated driver, but more info on the system (make, model, etc.) is
needed.

--
God's Final Message to His Creation:
"We apologize for the inconvenience."

Phyllis 01-28-2004 12:38 AM

Re: A Fatal Exception

Yes! Thank you for responding. I used an old program which I had not been
using for more than a year. It has USB and I plugged it in this weekend to
work with it. It's the Dazzle program. I know Pinnacle just purchased
Dazzle and I really don't thing they even support my version. I would need
to upgrade which I don't plan on doing because I paid so much for this one
and it works fine. If I unplug the USB from the back of the computer before
shutting down, will this eliminate my fatal error?

Thanks again :)

ICee 01-28-2004 01:11 AM

Re: A Fatal Exception

Phyllis wrote:
> Yes! Thank you for responding. I used an old program which I had not
> been using for more than a year. It has USB and I plugged it in this
> weekend to work with it. It's the Dazzle program. I know Pinnacle
> just purchased Dazzle and I really don't thing they even support my
> version. I would need to upgrade which I don't plan on doing because
> I paid so much for this one and it works fine. If I unplug the USB
> from the back of the computer before shutting down, will this
> eliminate my fatal error?
>
> Thanks again :)

I'm not sure how Win98 handles removing USB devices while the system is
on, although it is supposed to be plug and pray, er play. You may be
able to fix the problem with a Win98 and/or system software update. Do
you have Win98, or Win98SE (Second Edition)? Also, the make and model
of the system may help, in that there might be an update for the chipset
on the motherboard, depending on which chipset it uses. More
information can help me to help you. :)

Phyllis 01-28-2004 02:21 AM

Re: A Fatal Exception

Well I tried unplugging the USB cable, started computer and tried to shut it
down. I still got the fatal exception error... I was hoping unplugging the
USB would be a quick fix...

news:qwDRb.10580$Ul2.8609@newssvr22.news.prodigy.c om...

Phyllis 01-28-2004 02:21 AM

Re: A Fatal Exception

My husband had this computer built in August of 2001., so it's not a name
brand, i.e., Gateway or Dell, etc. At present, I don't have my Windows 98
disk.... We moved 6 months ago and I haven't come across it among a couple
of other things. I pulled the paperwork out and the motherboard is an Aopen
AK-33.

ICee 01-28-2004 03:07 AM

Re: A Fatal Exception

Phyllis wrote:
> My husband had this computer built in August of 2001., so it's not a
> name brand, i.e., Gateway or Dell, etc. At present, I don't have my
> Windows 98 disk.... We moved 6 months ago and I haven't come across
> it among a couple of other things. I pulled the paperwork out and
> the motherboard is an Aopen AK-33.

That's very helpful. There is a USB driver update for Win98SE, if
that's what you have. You can check by right clicking on My Computer
and selecting Properties. This will show you 'System Properties',
General tab. At the top right, the version number is listed. 98SE
would be version 4.10.2222 [and may have an A]. If so, this is where to
get the update:

There is also a updated driver for the chipset on the motherboard
(whichever version of Win98 you have) and it can be downloaded here:
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300

If these don't fix the problem, you may have to reinstall Windows,
unless someone else comes along with a better idea.
Good luck.

Phyllis 01-29-2004 12:55 AM

Re: A Fatal Exception

I show it's Windows 98 (not SE) underneath that, it has 4-10-1998.

ICee 01-29-2004 01:56 AM

Re: A Fatal Exception

Phyllis wrote:
> I show it's Windows 98 (not SE) underneath that, it has 4-10-1998

Three things to do. First, check Windows Update to see if there are any
updates for Windows 98. Go here:
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
and it will automatically scan your system to see if any updates are
needed.
If so, download and install them.
Second, check for updated drivers for the USB device. Go to the
manufacturers web site to see if they have any.
Third, install the updated VIA chipset drivers, as mentioned in my last
post.

If you're still having problems, post back with information about the
USB device you are using.
Good luck.

Phyllis 01-29-2004 03:05 AM

Re: A Fatal Exception

Will do! Thank you SO MUCH for your help!!