Velocity Reviews

-   -   Kernel Usage In Win98SE Through The Roof. Why? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t191736-kernel-usage-in-win98se-through-the-roof-why.html)

Diane 01-22-2004 10:11 PM

Kernel Usage In Win98SE Through The Roof. Why?

Am running Windows98SE with 256MByte ram, P3 1Ghz processor.

No real apparent problems untill recently, system seemed a little
sluggish on start up. Like, desktop icons sluggish to appear at
startup, even after a full Scandisk, and Defrag.

Checked all the usual, MSCONFIG to see whats starting with the
computer. I always keep on top of whats being loaded, and the usual
two are in there, only two entries that I always have:

ScanRegistry and SystemTray

If I do a Ctrl-Alt-Del to see whats running, same two thats always in
there also:

Explorer and SysTray

Thats it. But, I started up Microsoft System Monitor, and chose to
view the Kernel Processor Usage monitor, and it is maxed at 100% non
stop. Even if I am not doing anything. From the time I start the
computer, all through all operations, it stays slammed up at 100%.

I know this cant be normal. What would cause this, and how can I stop
this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

°Mike° 01-22-2004 10:40 PM

Re: Kernel Usage In Win98SE Through The Roof. Why?

It's impossible for Windows to start with *only* scanregistry
and system tray, so I suspect there is some things that you
are omitting to tell. Start here:

Basic computer maintenance

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://spybot.eon.net.au/
http://www.safer-networking.org/
SpyBot S&D guide

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Spyware Blaster
http://www.net-integration.net/tools...reblaster.html

CWShredder

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:11:41 GMT, in
<cfi010d9kb30huuvf6v7hkeqr5rha4nvgr@4ax.com>
Diane scrawled:

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

Blinky the Shark 01-23-2004 01:39 AM

Diane wrote:
> Am running Windows98SE with 256MByte ram, P3 1Ghz processor.

> No real apparent problems untill recently, system seemed a little
> sluggish on start up. Like, desktop icons sluggish to appear at
> startup, even after a full Scandisk, and Defrag.

> Checked all the usual, MSCONFIG to see whats starting with the
> computer. I always keep on top of whats being loaded, and the usual
> two are in there, only two entries that I always have:

> ScanRegistry and SystemTray

> If I do a Ctrl-Alt-Del to see whats running, same two thats always in
> there also:

> Explorer and SysTray

ATM may show more processes than WinTaskManager. Windows lies. :)

http://blinkynet.net/free.html

--
Blinky Linux RU 4892F
Happily slrning again.

Ron Martell 01-23-2004 09:09 PM

Diane <djw2352@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Am running Windows98SE with 256MByte ram, P3 1Ghz processor.
>
>No real apparent problems untill recently, system seemed a little
>sluggish on start up. Like, desktop icons sluggish to appear at
>startup, even after a full Scandisk, and Defrag.
>
>Checked all the usual, MSCONFIG to see whats starting with the
>computer. I always keep on top of whats being loaded, and the usual
>two are in there, only two entries that I always have:
>
>ScanRegistry and SystemTray
>
>If I do a Ctrl-Alt-Del to see whats running, same two thats always in
>there also:
>
>Explorer and SysTray
>
>Thats it. But, I started up Microsoft System Monitor, and chose to
>view the Kernel Processor Usage monitor, and it is maxed at 100% non
>stop. Even if I am not doing anything. From the time I start the
>computer, all through all operations, it stays slammed up at 100%.
>
>I know this cant be normal. What would cause this, and how can I stop
>this?
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The System Monitor utility in Windows is well-known for reporting
inaccurate data for Kernel Processor Usage. This is a common flaw
with many utilities that purport to track this information, but there
are some that are accurate.

One that does work well is WinTop, which is part of the Windows 95
Kernel Toys download from
http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/d.../w95kerneltoy/

Note that these are Windows 95 and not Windows 98 utilities. While
WinTop is safe to use with Windows 98 and performs reliably and
accurately that is not true for the other components of the Kernel
Toys. So only use WinTop and ignore the other items with Windows 98.

As for the Windows 98 System Monitor I once saw a system where 2
instances of the System Monitor were running at the same time, both
purporting to report Kernel Processor Usage. The value being
reported by one was always exactly 100% minus whatever the other was
reporting. So if one said 90% the other said 10% and if one said zero
the other said 100%.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--